Any advantage/disadvantage with using #1 copper with 100 amp?

translux

Cars
Air Touring
Electrician is recommended #1 copper with the 100 amp breaker. Distance is around 50ft from electrical panel.
Cost delta between #1 & # 2 is minimal @ + $275.
Any downside or upside to using #1?

1714684633337.jpeg

General tips gleaned from some posts here:

Make sure your electrician uses the correct up-rated breaker brand. Not all 100 amp wires or breakers are the same.
Make sure your electrician has the proper torque wrench/screwdriver for the current. They may try to hose you on this. I made my electrician leave the job and go get the proper torque wrench. My bedroom is directly above my car / charger.
Your township inspector may not even look at the work (mine did not = he looked at the name of the company and just signed off) so don't depend on your inspector for safety = he's only for the home insurance when your house burns down.

A few questions:

what wall charger are you using ?
how many amps ?
length of run is important = you got that right.
do you plan to put any more chargers up in the future, or need power in this location for something else?
are you running from the main panel to an auxiliary 100 amp breaker box and then to a wall socket ? (don't. hardwire it)
are you running from the main panel directly to a hard-wired charger?
are you using the LCHCS (Betty Boop) at the full 80 amp capacity (it is adjustable internally) and someday use vehicle to house power ?

... filling us in on your complete plan / what charger would help a lot.

Looks like #2 copper is plenty for 50 foot run using the Lucid wall charger at full 80 amps (if it's torqued correctly and the breaker is correct).

Attachments

• 1714682785850.jpeg
    1714682785850.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 19
View attachment 20366
General tips gleaned from some posts here:

Make sure your electrician uses the correct up-rated breaker brand. Not all 100 amp wires or breakers are the same.
Make sure your electrician has the proper torque wrench/screwdriver for the current. They may try to hose you on this. I made my electrician leave the job and go get the proper torque wrench. My bedroom is directly above my car / charger.
Your township inspector may not even look at the work (mine did not = he looked at the name of the company and just signed off) so don't depend on your inspector for safety = he's only for the home insurance when your house burns down.

A few questions:

what wall charger are you using ?
how many amps ?
length of run is important = you got that right.
do you plan to put any more chargers up in the future, or need power in this location for something else?
are you running from the main panel to an auxiliary 100 amp breaker box and then to a wall socket ? (don't. hardwire it)
are you running from the main panel directly to a hard-wired charger?
are you using the LCHCS (Betty Boop) at the full 80 amp capacity (it is adjustable internally) and someday use vehicle to house power ?

... filling us in on your complete plan / what charger would help a lot.

Looks like #2 copper is plenty for 50 foot run using the Lucid wall charger at full 80 amps (if it's torqued correctly and the breaker is correct).
Thanks for the quick response and helpful info.
Answers to your questions below.
  • Using the LCHCS at full 80amp capacity.
  • Approximately 50ft from main service and main electrical panels.
  • Not sure about future chargers. My thought is that if this is needed I could replace the LCHCS with a dual port charger or install a sub-panel and add another charger. I understand that I would half the charging output with the sub-panel.
  • 100 amp breaker will be in one of the main panels and hardwired to the charger. We have a 400 amp service if that matters.
  • From electricians quote: 1.25" conduit with 2- 1 awg thhn and 1 - 8 awg thhn ground wire. Wires are upsize 1 size to account for the constant power draw. 100 amp Square D Homeline breaker.
  • Using the car as a back up is a great idea I've already invested in a 10 KW battery back up now that is backed up by a 20 KW generator. Possibly going to a 20 kW battery backup in the near future. IDK

Electrician is recommended #1 copper with the 100 amp breaker. Distance is around 50ft from electrical panel.
Cost delta between #1 & # 2 is minimal @ + $275.
Any downside or upside to using #1?
As long as #1 wire can be crimped into lugs that fit the LCHCS screws, and the heavy wires don't put too much stress on the LCHCS terminal area, no downside.

Back