Another CCS Charging Network on horizon

Tesla2.0

Referral Code - F0ZQ8SWA
Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
F0ZQ8SWA
They have Teslas in the concept drawings. They said they will charge all EVs.

My guess is all points will have a NACS and CCS connector and there will be 1 or 2 CHAdeMO connectors to qualify for California funding.

To most others this seems like a great move, and I get that view. To me, this is separating our charging network into a fragmented mess. To me, there should be 4-5 major charging networks and criticially, one government run one(which would be the "national" network). Do we seriously want to run 8 apps on our phone?(yes, only if PnC doesnt work)

Prices should also be based on peak pricing and take into account individual zip codes.

Right now, we shouldnt be expanding, we should be fixing all the CURRENT chargers. I'd go so far as to say that for the next year and half(unless I am misjudging the rate Evs will pick up at), other than teslas, the amount of chargers already suit us. Just make them more reliable.

To most others this seems like a great move, and I get that view. To me, this is separating our charging network into a fragmented mess. To me, there should be 4-5 major charging networks and criticially, one government run one(which would be the "national" network). Do we seriously want to run 8 apps on our phone?(yes, only if PnC doesnt work)

Prices should also be based on peak pricing and take into account individual zip codes.

Right now, we shouldnt be expanding, we should be fixing all the CURRENT chargers. I'd go so far as to say that for the next year and half(unless I am misjudging the rate Evs will pick up at), other than teslas, the amount of chargers already suit us. Just make them more reliable.
The amount of chargers now isn't sustainable. By 2030, there still likely won't be enough especially when folks will still refuse to charge at home.

The amount of chargers now isn't sustainable. By 2030, there still likely won't be enough especially when folks will still refuse to charge at home.
Yup. In the future, expansion is definitely needed. For now though, I think it would suffice. I would also love to see charging stalls next to the street, similarly to those parking ticket thingies in NYC. If that happened, everybody would have home charging.
More people need to realise charging at home is the future, it is SO futuristic and convenient to plug your car in like an iphone. And its cheaper than DC!

Yup. In the future, expansion is definitely needed. For now though, I think it would suffice. I would also love to see charging stalls next to the street, similarly to those parking ticket thingies in NYC. If that happened, everybody would have home charging.
More people need to realise charging at home is the future, it is SO futuristic and convenient to plug your car in like an iphone. And its cheaper than DC!
Tell that to Wyoming.

I agree with you for many places throughout the US. If all the existing chargers worked, we'd be fine. But there are pockets where more are definitely needed.

I'm still waiting for charging to evolve into a completely different business. In Utah over the weekend, there was an EA at a Coffee Shop (instead of the usual WalMart) and they actually had a squeegee and water to help you wash your windshield. Plus, an actual coffee shop. That alone made it one of the better charging experiences I've ever had.

The bar is extremely low for coming in and kicking the crap out of the current status quo.

Do we seriously want to run 8 apps on our phone?(yes, only if PnC doesnt work)
The law requires charging stations to accept credit cards at the station in order to get funding.

There can be other ways to pay, but credit card at the point of sale is a requirement.

The law requires charging stations to accept credit cards at the station in order to get funding.

There can be other ways to pay, but credit card at the point of sale is a requirement.
Got it. When will these regulations kick in, and will they be for all existing stations or only new ones from now?

Got it. When will these regulations kick in, and will they be for all existing stations or only new ones from now?
Any new stations that request NEVI funding and meet the requirements.

Yep ... one of these chargers will not be too far from me. It is right off the freeway, but not sure how drivers will discover it as it is doubtful they will be integrated into in-vehicle navigation systems quickly. Hopefully the pricing will be inline and look towards subsidizing charging costs via expected sales at the Gelson's convenience store (just like regular gas stations do)

Tell that to Wyoming.

And Vermont . . . .

Yup. In the future, expansion is definitely needed. For now though, I think it would suffice.

The existing CCS DCFC network -- when working -- is sufficient for long-distance travel on interstates, at least at current levels of EV penetration. However, there are many trips off the interstates that are rendered difficult. While the Lucid might have enough range to get to a more remote location, the use of the car becomes somewhat limited once there. For example, we have friends with a house in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. We can top off the Lucid in Asheville and get to Blowing Rock with charge to spare. However, on a several-day visit when we want to do a lot of driving around, we're pretty much limited to L2 charging with the exception of one 65-kW ChargePoint station. Fortunately, our friends have home charging for their Mach-E, but without it a visit there would leave us dependent on one of their ICE cars. The situation is similar in much of New England and in many other regions with good interstate charging coverage once you venture off the major routes. And Wyoming and the Dakotas are truly a public charging desert.

Ha! And West Texas. L3 chargers sometimes 200 miles apart. When they work.
More like 100 miles in between EA stations. But Texas south of Victoria, ZERO EA station!

I tried this different station for the first time today —— In-Charge network. It takes credit card on the spot. 3 stalls were installed in Chevrolet dealer. They are 60kW DCFC, I was told they merely installed 3 weeks ago.

I downloaded their app, it’s basically an European network coming to America. Another option.

Attachments

• B2F061DB-09E7-498F-B7E9-89C3D90EBDC9.jpeg
    B2F061DB-09E7-498F-B7E9-89C3D90EBDC9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • D9E4F980-DA29-4712-960B-E9F3897B484F.jpeg
    D9E4F980-DA29-4712-960B-E9F3897B484F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • B5D130B5-9491-4FBE-ABB5-2CCBE1BA1367.jpeg
    B5D130B5-9491-4FBE-ABB5-2CCBE1BA1367.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
So far, I have been to these 8 brands for CCS DCFC since I started owning EV 18 months ago. Herr is my grade to them based on personal experience in combination of value, reliability and ease of use.

Electrify America - 8
EVGo - 7
ChargePoint - 6
EV Connect - 7
7Charge - 6
InCharge - 8
Rivian Adventure Network - 10
Tesla SCN w Magic Dock - 8

Last edited:
More like 100 miles in between EA stations. But Texas south of Victoria, ZERO EA station!
Sweetwater to Amarillo on US 84 is almost 250 miles between EA stations, but at least there are a couple of L3 stations at dealerships in Lubbock, and I think one in Plainview, and maybe someday the NACS chargers.

US 82 between Wichita Falls and Lubbock you are totally out of luck when it comes to L3 for 200 miles. In a crisis you have to look for a NEMA outlet you can use.

Sweetwater to Amarillo on US 84 is almost 250 miles between EA stations, but at least there are a couple of L3 stations at dealerships in Lubbock, and I think one in Plainview, and maybe someday the NACS chargers.

US 82 between Wichita Falls and Lubbock you are totally out of luck when it comes to L3 for 200 miles. In a crisis you have to look for a NEMA outlet you can use.

I just just at Plainview, it was in Chevy dealer, InCharge brand station. I-27, I got a charge at Sweetwater.

Witchita Falls I got a charge in Cadillac EV Connect station.

When I was referring to every 100 miles, I was referring to I-10, I-20 and I-40. I agree, the north/south interstate freeway need attention too.

During all those time I went thru 250 miles gap, I was really wondering how do other non-Tesla got thru those area? Chevy Bolt definitely can’t go to inner Texas.

Back