Android Auto Thursday

Wait until you're in an accident that's not your fault and the other person lies about what happened. Knowing someone who works in the insurance industry you'd be surprised how often dashcam footage is used to prove the other party is lying. The sad thing is that even when the person is proven to be lying they suffer no further consequences from it. They're just slapped with a 100% at fault and nothing more, even though they wasted everyones time spinning a story.
I had a cop tackleberry me about doing 90mph and driving reckless was his claim. I told him he is absolutely out of his mind. He continued with his claims. I said to him I'm not in the mood to argue today and pointed at the dashcam. He got ticked off returned to his vehicle and came back with a failure to use turn signal ticket. I still took it to court and he was a no show. Dashcams work.

I can't speak for all Teslas and I have no idea what they do for the navigation but it definitely says Google in the bottom right hand corner when you have the map up
Tesla's system is a hybrid. It uses Google maps for the on-screen display for the center screen, but not for the binnacle. The cars store a separate map database that's used for routing, which works even without cell service, but the center map won't display in that case. The route overlays the Google maps display on the center screen.

The two are generally but not always in sync, because the internal one might get updated once per year. So it's possible for a route to come up that makes no sense, given what the Google maps shows. For example, I once had the navigation system show me a C shaped route when I was better off going straight. It's because Google showed an upcoming overpass that the map data didn't know about until the next annual update.

Happy Android Auto Thursday!!!!!!

Just remember that "You can’t have genius without patience.” - Margaret Deland

Nine more Thursdays in Fall 2024. T-9 and counting. I'm betting on a Thanksgiving release.

Back