Android Auto Thursday

All this because HERE maps and Alexa are poor substitutes for Google Maps (or Waze) and voice Assistant.
To be honest though, Google Maps is the standard. I don't think any auto manufacturer software is going to measure up to that. My Honda had navigation. When the salesman was setting up the car at purchase time, he just said straight up that I should ignore Honda navigation and use Google Maps on AA. And he was correct; the Honda navigation couldn't find a hospital that was three miles down the street!

To be honest though, Google Maps is the standard. I don't think any auto manufacturer software is going to measure up to that.
An increasing number of cars have native Google Maps and Assistant built in, or available via the car's own app store. There's no reason to have poor navigation software in a car any more.

All this because HERE maps and Alexa are poor substitutes for Google Maps (or Waze) and voice Assistant.

To be honest though, Google Maps is the standard. I don't think any auto manufacturer software is going to measure up to that. My Honda had navigation. When the salesman was setting up the car at purchase time, he just said straight up that I should ignore Honda navigation and use Google Maps on AA. And he was correct; the Honda navigation couldn't find a hospital that was three miles down the street!

The issue is that HERE maps has better HD mapping than Google so it was no doubt chosen when Lucid was aiming to deliver Highway Pilot. Just because a product is preferred by the consumer, doesn’t necessarily make it the best product especially when you’re going to rely on that system to drive the car.

Also, Google and Apple are data hoarders so all those navigation entries and voice requests go to Google and when data is king these days you don’t want to be handing over valuable info you can use yourself. It’s also the reason why many automakers aren’t jumping on the CarPlay 2 bandwagon because they don’t want Apple to have the data vs them having it to improve its own in car entertainment systems.

... Just because a product is preferred by the consumer, doesn’t necessarily make it the best product especially when you’re going to rely on that system to drive the car....
Understood, but until the car does drive itself, Google maps is better for us.
Maybe even after the car drives itself - many of our destinations are just plain missing from HERE maps database.

Happy Android Auto Thursday!!!!

Just remember that "Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come." - Robert H. Schuller

Just remember that "Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come." - Robert H. Schuller
I’m just here for Affirmation Thursday.

Reminds me of the quote from 'The Bucket List' on the three nevers to remember when you get older. You'll have to Google it if you wanna know. I don't want @hydbob beating down my door. :)

Patience and hope and affirmations are great, but actually fixing the problem feels sooo much better. I do hope that Lucid gets AA into the car sometime, but in the meantime I'm happy with @hydbob's fix. The list of Lucid improvements I care about now is very small.

IMG_0736.gif

Did he mention any time?
A year, or three, or five?

Sat in a friend's Volvo yesterday with Android Auto baked in and wow...just wow...He was able to cast his mobile phone screen to his car..browse Gmail and voice reply to it ..not a single error in voice recognition. Google maps with all his stars and favorites he could navigate to on a single touch..almost all functionality on a mobile android phone was there ... While I don't want to compare, I was left longing for just vanilla basic AA on the Lucid.

Lucid, if you're listening...please? It's high time..humble request.

Sat in a friend's Volvo yesterday with Android Auto baked in and wow...just wow...He was able to cast his mobile phone screen to his car..browse Gmail and voice reply to it ..not a single error in voice recognition. Google maps with all his stars and favorites he could navigate to on a single touch..almost all functionality on a mobile android phone was there ... While I don't want to compare, I was left longing for just vanilla basic AA on the Lucid.

Just get the Carlinkit and all this could be yours ...

We have the same on our Volvo and love it. The car becomes just another mobile device logged into your same accounts and seamlessly cloud-synced. With an app store, so you can run Waze if you want, Pocketcasts, etc. I won't buy another car that is lacking this functionality and choice of apps. The new Polestar 3 and Macan EVs, among many others, are full-featured in this respect.

IMO it's the way most cars will be in ten years. The idea of having a fixed set of pre-baked apps in a car, chosen by the manufacturer and set in stone, will make it a Blackberry compared to an iPhone or Android phone.

IMO it's the way most cars will be in ten years. The idea of having a fixed set of pre-baked apps in a car, chosen by the manufacturer and set in stone, will make it a Blackberry compared to an iPhone or Android phone.
☝️This is the way. Lucid made many initial vehicle software design decisions that are very questionable at best, laughably bad at worst.

Lucid's home grown, Frankenstein build of Nvidia Drive, Alexa voice assistant, Here Maps, Apple Carplay, and apps developed on their own was bound from the very beginning to be behind the big players' software ecosystems. Lucid's current software development path will be a nightmare for the company and its customers for years to come.

It's a case of a company trying to do too much. Lucid's initial hardware design was great, and they thought they could do the same with their own internally developed software. It's not as easy at they thought.

If Lucid had selected Android Automotive with Google's GAS, they would have had competitive vehicle software right from the get go. And they would have locked in state off the art vehicle software for years to come without large internal software development expense.

There comes a time for companies to admit they made bad initial decisions and start from scratch again. Lucid's software architecture is a a prime example. Lucid will almost assuredly never be competitive with their vehicle software if they continue down their current path.

Good news friends, I was in foster city for the dragon boat racing festival. There was a Lucid team there (see boat 5), they finished 2nd in their heat ....pretty clear sign that they've been distracted due to working on Android Auto and therefore didn't bring home 1st place
1000002974.jpg

Yeah, all good.
But, does it drive like Lucid?
If not, who cares.

...But, does it drive like Lucid?
If not, who cares.
Once in a while you need brains instead of just athleticism. It's the one big thing the car lacks.

^ this! I don’t care about wanting or having AA in any other car. I want AA in my Air GT for everything that I love about my Air.
There are some good ways to get it done that have been posted here on the forum.

Back