Am I the only one extremely disappointed in my Dream Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this post is spot on. Someone posted today saying he regrets his purchase because, in part, it takes 30-40 seconds for the car to be fully functional. Then he's pilloried here as an elitist who thinks his time is more valuable that a hotel maid's? Really? (You can make the point it doesn't both you without trashing the guy who says it does bother him!) But this has NOTHING to do with the perceived value of a person's 40 sec.

In the history of the automobile has there ever been a car that took that long to be ready? (The Model T took 2 cranks of the lever), and this from the company that trumpets its ambition to be the most technologically advanced in the biz? (I've demoed BMW, Audi, Hyundai--instantaneous start up)

I can understand the feelings of the early buyers--I admire their risk-taking, optimism, etc--but their natural inclination to act like the "glitches" are no big deal..

But for those of us still on the fence, the message should be loud and clear back to management : NO you are not the industry standard if it takes 40 seconds to start your car, or if the car randomly locks the owner out...and NO--we who haven't decided yet aren't going to buy if you don't fix it.

If Lucid's business model is based on the premise that a wide swath of their customers will forgive their shortcomings because Tesla had the same ones 5 years ago---? (plug in your own ending...I know mine)

Thanks fir the opportunity to add to the dialogue
Steam cars in the 1900-1910 took longer than 40 sec. Another example, I drove a 1950s dc3 bulldoser. First you had to lift the valves of the diesel engine. Then start the gas engine, engage the clutch to let the gas engine run the diesel engine for a few minutes without diesel, and then engage the valves let it run a little and then turn on the diesel fuel. And the turm off the gas engine. Took at least five min in the summer, longer in the winter.

My view is that after spending over 100K for any newly produced car, either EV or not, shouldn’t have significant software or hardware issues. My 90K GLS450 was virtually perfect but boy was it boring. So I bought an Ioniq 5 as a placeholder EV, lots of fun and no significant issues so far but it’s from an established car company. If you’re buying a car from a new company you’re taking a chance and implicitly agreeing to be a beta tester (given of course OTA updates availability) with the excitement and wonder that brings along with the headaches.

Yeah, no offense to EQS owners here, they could easily retort that having working Bluetooth and not needing to CTL-Alt-Delete your software periodically is more important than appearances… but yeah I was behind one the other day and it’s an inverted tub on wheels from behind especially.

I think this post is spot on. Someone posted today saying he regrets his purchase because, in part, it takes 30-40 seconds for the car to be fully functional. Then he's pilloried here as an elitist who thinks his time is more valuable that a hotel maid's? Really? (You can make the point it doesn't both you without trashing the guy who says it does bother him!) But this has NOTHING to do with the perceived value of a person's 40 sec.

In the history of the automobile has there ever been a car that took that long to be ready? (The Model T took 2 cranks of the lever), and this from the company that trumpets its ambition to be the most technologically advanced in the biz? (I've demoed BMW, Audi, Hyundai--instantaneous start up)

I can understand the feelings of the early buyers--I admire their risk-taking, optimism, etc--but their natural inclination to act like the "glitches" are no big deal..

But for those of us still on the fence, the message should be loud and clear back to management : NO you are not the industry standard if it takes 40 seconds to start your car, or if the car randomly locks the owner out...and NO--we who haven't decided yet aren't going to buy if you don't fix it.

If Lucid's business model is based on the premise that a wide swath of their customers will forgive their shortcomings because Tesla had the same ones 5 years ago---? (plug in your own ending...I know mine)

Again: the issue isn’t the valid complaint about the startup time. That is annoying, most of us agree. We work around it, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t annoying or a problem.

Have you ever had a valid complaint and then conveyed it poorly? I think we all have, at least once, and that’s what happened here.

Actually there was a car that took about 90 seconds to start up, the 1930 Doble steam car. Before you say come on steam? Consider the fact that back then steam engines generally took several minutes to come to operating temperature, abner Doble very nearly could have done what Elon musk has done to the automobile industry had he’d not developed his crowning achievement in the teeth of the Great Depression. His cars like EVs were practically silent , produced immense amounts of torque, were much faster than the typical gas car but were expensive ( sound like anyone we know?) with a little more time and money we might have steam cars today but finances killed the Doble. Jay Leno has a couple of these in running order. Check out the YouTube segments on these, it’s fascinating.

Ps my car boots up in about 5 seconds or less. I get in , step on the brake all the warning lights flash on and I’m ready to go. There seems to be a bit of variability with the software in these cars

Last edited:
Actually there was a car that took about 90 seconds to start up, the 1930 Doble steam car. Before you say come on steam? Consider the fact that back then steam engines generally took several minutes to come to operating temperature, abner Doble very nearly could have done what Elon musk has done to the automobile industry had he’d not developed his crowning achievement in the teeth of the Great Depression. His cars like EVs were practically silent , produced immense amounts of torque, were much faster than the typical gas car but were expensive ( sound like anyone we know?) with a little more time and money we might have steam cars today but finances killed the Doble. Jay Leno has a couple of these in running order. Check out the YouTube segments on these, it’s fascinating.

Ps my car boots up in about 5 seconds or less. I get in , step on the brake all the warning lights flash on and I’m ready to go. There seems to be a bit of variability with the software in these cars
Yeah I watched the video of Leno with his Stanley steamer, it’s super interesting. The startup process does take about a day haha. He lives here in Rhode Island (but films his Jay Leno garage show in LA) and they have a New England steam car club and I met someone who is a member and also has a Stanley steamer and he said Leno has brought his to a few of their get togethers. My DA said she’d heard Leno was the first person in RI to get a Lucid (I’m not positive that’s true), I still have yet to see another Lucid around here though.

Lucid's 500 is really 400
Tesla's 400 is really 32O
Porsche's 300 is really 225

And on and on...I never said Peter should be condemned for being part of the scam---I'm just pointing out that he IS part of the scam. (you can draw your own ethical conclusions)

I've long thought the EPA has an agenda to hype EVs
I’d say my Taycan turbo gets 350 kms / ~220 miles reliably.

Edit: I should add, I may have a heavy right foot and I do run the Mission E rims which I think are the least efficient.

With the current software updates this has been my experience, too. Once I put my foot on the brake pedal, the car powers up and goes through its check cycles in just a few seconds, usually by the time I have fastened my seatbelt and put on my sunglasses. The rearview camera also comes up during this phase. The only thing that takes a while to come up is the bird's-eye view, but since neither our Tesla Model S Plaid nor our Honda Odyssey even has such a feature, I'm not used to relying on it, anyway.

What annoys me about the bird's-eye view (which I really like for parking) is that it stays on until you hit 18 mph, which means I have to hit the "X" icon to kill it so that I can get to the Homelink icon to close the garage door. But in the larger scheme of things, this is just a minor item on my Lucid annoyance list -- little different from the annoyance list I have had for every car I have owned, and shorter than for most cars.

In my ICE days, I was a stickler for driving very gently until the engine and oil had reached operating temperature. In my Audi R8 and Mercedes AMG days, this went as far as cranking the car, backing it out of the garage, and leaving it running to warm up a bit while I went back inside to get my wallet, cell phone, etc. One of the things I like about our EVs is that I can just hop in them and take off at whatever speed suits me.

I've seen many posts here that have complains about the Air and most are very reasonable complaints. The responses are also equally reasonable. To be fair most of OP's complaints are reasonable, but some sentences are .. eh?

"Folks that can afford to buy this car are usually hard-working and driven, and are not able to wait 45 seconds every time they get in their car for the surround cameras to load."

Could just say that 45secs is a long delay.

Anyways moving on. I havent owned any other car besides my mazda3 for 9yrs. Zer0 major issues. *Knock on wood* only 1 recall for the top dash panel glue issue. From what Im seeing here it seems like everyone has had issues with their luxury cars and at least multiple recalls even with the ICE cars? If I had bought any EV or luxury car without first knowing all these issues then I would be disappointed since I'm coming from an almost issueless car (though I'd be more accepting of flaws from a new car company). Also I wasnt aware of EV actual ranges to be significantly less than EPA estimates. I wouldve been disappointed had I purchased any EV.

Also I was thinking... Just because other cars would typically have several issues doesnt mean we should accept that as a norm. But again it's not good for the companies to have a lot of issues and recalls will be costly. But businesses are businesses so they'll take actions mostly based on profit. If they can get away with not fixing issues then they would (cost of fixing > customer dissatisfaction/decrease in reputation/fines and penalties)

Interesting ---so it's less than a scam for Porsche...?
I wouldn’t call it a scam. There’s an industry agreed test for ICE and EVs. All manufacturers are tested against the same standards.

It then depends on the driver and road conditions as to how far the car actually goes in the real world. Drive faster and the car becomes less efficient, it’s raining and the car is less efficient — this is exactly the same as ICE but we just pay for more gas and don’t notice it.

I would say Porsche’s EPA test was in their least efficient configuration so that people who are running the RWD or 4S models with range improving rims are probably seeing a slight improvement over EPA. There’s plenty of configurations that will decimate EPA estimates for the negative.

I’m only getting 220miles on a good day.

Last edited:
Also I was thinking... Just because other cars would typically have several issues doesnt mean we should accept that as a norm. But again it's not good for the companies to have a lot of issues and recalls will be costly. But businesses are businesses so they'll take actions mostly based on profit.
Yeah while I don’t know of many Lucid owners that have not had issues, what I do know is that at least right now Lucid seems genuinely motivated to fix all issues regardless of cost. That isn’t long term sustainable, but I think just the fact that their service people are that motivated and the company has even gone so far to deliberately delay delivery to improve quality speaks volumes that you’re not buying a car that’s gonna have potential issues ignored and dismissed. And this recall apparently affects only 1% of cars but they’re checking them all anyway. That level of thoroughness gives me confidence they’re both committed and capable of reducing/eliminating ownership headaches. Plus since you had a Mazda Lucid’s head of design Derek Jenkins may have even had a hand in your prior car.

Yeah while I don’t know of many Lucid owners that have not had issues, what I do know is that at least right now Lucid seems genuinely motivated to fix all issues regardless of cost. That isn’t long term sustainable, but I think just the fact that their service people are that motivated and the company has even gone so far to deliberately delay delivery to improve quality speaks volumes that you’re not buying a car that’s gonna have potential issues ignored and dismissed. And this recall apparently affects only 1% of cars but they’re checking them all anyway. That level of thoroughness gives me confidence they’re both committed and capable of reducing/eliminating ownership headaches. Plus since you had a Mazda Lucid’s head of design Derek Jenkins may have even had a hand in your prior car.
He did contribute to the current MX5 gen. I wanted one in the past but after the test drive I couldn't tolerate the road noise 😆

I have no doubts that Lucid is genuinely addressing the issues. Quality is a big priority for them (does not mean perfect). I'm confident there will be massive improvements by the time I get one next year. With the Saudis backing it up financially I have more confidence in terms of Lucid staying around.

Clearly this thread has triggered emotion on all levels. Perhaps best summarized as follows:
1. Disappointed the startup time isn't quicker
2. Disappointed the software was not more advanced
3. Disappointed the actual mileage between charges is not the same as the EPA tested miles.

Adding to this list from other threads:
4. Disappointed there is not Apple Airplay
5. Disappointed in the mapping system.

There are certainly others, but these seem to capture the comments seen most frequently.

I am by no means a car enthusiast. I do not nor have I ever owned any other EV nor any BMW, Porsche, or Mercedes. I am the proud owner of 7 vehicles, one dating back to 1941. And let me tell you, that one needs a minute to turn over and start rumbling.

Do I share in the disappointments stated above? NO! I purchased (for a premium) a first line new production model from a start up company. Suffice it to say, I expected a few growing pains. So far, my customer experience has been stellar from the service technician. He's had to come twice for what I consider to be minor repairs, neither of which, negate the pleasure I have in driving this vehicle. And here in Texas, to recharge for each 40 miles I have driven cost me under a dollar. (90 cents to be exact).

In my favor,
As with all vehicles, I expected some flaws during the warranty period.
I do not suffer range anxiety
I don't need to drive 400+ miles without recharging (would need a pitstop in any case) and finally,
I have a minute or two to spare when getting in the vehicle to catch my breath, find my glasses, set my playlist for my music mood, and go on my merry way.

For folks that are on the fence, go drive the car and make your own informed decision. Do not be influenced by what you see here rather be informed. As can be expected, for the most part, the negatives get the most attention. Personally, those negatives do not outweighthe positives (which are abundant) in owning this particular vehicle.

My DA said she’d heard Leno was the first person in RI to get a Lucid (I’m not positive that’s true), I still have yet to see another Lucid around here though.

1460 miles later + many miles on my other cars, I have yet seen another Lucid on the road. Granted Texas is just big…

I have been driving an Air Dream edition for 2 months now, and have about 3,500 miles. I have so many regrets. This is by far the worst new car experience I have had in my 40+ years of driving. White trim and white carpet in the Eureka Gold color, as recommended by the manufacturer. What a terrible concept. I am a clean freak, yet the carpets and liners are all stained and can't be cleaned (why not put Scotch Guard on the white carpet... maybe people would like to be able to have their car look clean?). Slow loading poorly set up software, non-stop glitches, slow hardware (yes, I do not believe the 45 seconds it takes to load the surround camera will be fixed with an OTA update, this appears to be a slow processor issue, as all of the software processing appears very sluggish). Folks that can afford to buy this car are usually hard-working and driven, and are not able to wait 45 seconds every time they get in their car for the surround cameras to load. The day I hit an object that could have been avoided if the surround cameras would have loaded on time will be the final straw for me. I also feel this car is dangerous, as you need so many interruptions while driving to use the features. Reaching over to push the Navigation button every time I get a text message that now hides the navigation screen, the reflective bar for the temperature adjustment that blinds me when the sun hits it, so many interruptions to a good driving experience. Also, I have never were able to get the promised 504 miles on a full charge, the most I ever got was 477 miles, ... I could go on and on. So disappointed. This car is not ready for sale to the public. I feel I am beta testing a nice-looking electric car with tons of glitches. Not impressed for $180K. Would love to hear other's experience.

(Friendly tone) They don't detail it for you. You should have sealed the carpets with 404 Fabric, I do that in all my cars regardless of color. Leather seal, carpet sealer, paint protection film if you like, there is a lot you could have done. My car has PPF, graphene spray coat, EPIC leather protect, 404 fabric and I had to spend 2 full days polishing it when I got new from the factory. The best way to get carpet stains out is to buy a stain remover and a brush. Check out Amazon for a rating or someone like "Pan the Organizer" on YT. You can get out the stains and then seal the interior!

Any new car from a new car company is going to glitches. That's how it works Tesla, Fisker, Rivian, etc all have glitches they have to work out. Are you familiar with product roadmaps? I am sure they have things they want to fix first and have other features on the roadmap. They are growing and need the revenue to grow and hire more. Is there a feedback mechanism?

If you are unhappy, sell it. I am sure you can make a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back