Air GT Driving Impressions (both 19” and 21” wheels)

While I really did like the red I thought it only made sense to go with the limited edition color Eureka Gold. Since I'm paying extra for a limited edition car with a limited edition interior and a limited edition set of wheels, why not also get the limited edition paint?? Plus I really do like the gold color best.
I'm not a big fan of Gold colored cars, but that color Gold, especially accented with the platinum trim, looks amazing on this car.
Oh man, the gold is my favorite. Absolutely perfect.

Not really since you were addressing the driving dynamics. The one test drive we got prior to taking delivery was in a DE-R with the 21" wheels in AZ. We were happy with the road noise and ride comfort so we never looked back.
…high praise

I like the DE a lot. I could not justify the cost however even if I could upgrade. If It were up to me I would have gone that route.

I‘ve only gotten a few hours of seat time though and your time living with the DE is definitely more thorough. My goal is to contrast it against the Taycan/EQS/Plaid. I can’t speak to the software in depth yet or what it’s like to live with. Any points you’d push back against?

While I really did like the red I thought it only made sense to go with the limited edition color Eureka Gold. Since I'm paying extra for a limited edition car with a limited edition interior and a limited edition set of wheels, why not also get the limited edition paint?? Plus I really do like the gold color best.
Also, my first Porsche in 1966 was red and it was a ticket magnet!! I swore I'd never again own a red car.
…high praise

I like the DE a lot. I could not justify the cost however even if I could upgrade. If It were up to me I would have gone that route.

I‘ve only gotten a few hours of seat time though and your time living with the DE is definitely more thorough. My goal is to contrast it against the Taycan/EQS/Plaid. I can’t speak to the software in depth yet or what it’s like to live with. Any points you’d push back against?
So I drove the Taycan 4S and almost bought it but had a problem with the dealer. Anyway, my concerns with the Taycan were the rear seat headroom was terrible in the sedan and I've got a strong bias against station wagons (Turismo) even if they do call it an "estate" car. Also as you pointed out the storage space is not great on the Taycan and rear seat legroom needs improvement. The seats in the Dream are much more comfortable in my opinion, and I've owned four Porsches so I do like those cars a lot. In my case, I did reserve the Air GT originally and put my name on the waitlist for the Dream figuring I'd see what happened. I also bought the CCIV stock at a very low price and I've made more than enough to offset the additional cost so "no brainer" to accept the upgrade when it came through.

Not really since you were addressing the driving dynamics. The one test drive we got prior to taking delivery was in a DE-R with the 21" wheels in AZ. We were happy with the road noise and ride comfort so we never looked back.
Gotcha. You’d probably not care about the difference between the two for road noise, but it is there.
Also, my first Porsche in 1966 was red and it was a ticket magnet!! I swore I'd never again own a red car.

So I drove the Taycan 4S and almost bought it but had a problem with the dealer. Anyway, my concerns with the Taycan were the rear seat headroom was terrible in the sedan and I've got a strong bias against station wagons (Turismo) even if they do call it an "estate" car. Also as you pointed out the storage space is not great on the Taycan and rear seat legroom needs improvement. The seats in the Dream are much more comfortable in my opinion, and I've owned four Porsches so I do like those cars a lot. In my case, I did reserve the Air GT originally and put my name on the waitlist for the Dream figuring I'd see what happened. I also bought the CCIV stock at a very low price and I've made more than enough to offset the additional cost so "no brainer" to accept the upgrade when it came through.
I love the Taycan cross turismo but found the same issue with legroom and headroom (along with range and storage). The seats in the Air are vastly more comfortable - I practically had to shoehorn myself out of the Taycan, and I’m pretty nimble.

I think the primary difference between them is the GT just has some of the more extremely edges smoothed off. In sprint if you slam the gas you still surge forward, but you aren’t hammered into the seat. It makes it more accessible to drive.

That said, I actually love the DE - I could not get enough of that unending torrent of power. The GT is going to make me very happy but I already know the tri-motor will be calling me one day.

Very informative. I went with the 21s because the 19s look so pedestrian. I may regret that. I also am a bit miffed that one showroom gets TWO demonstrators and here near NYC the three closest showrooms have exactly 0 cars to test drive.
In case anyone is interested ... I received a $4100 quote for a set of 19s.

@copper I am scheduled to take delivery of a Model S tomorrow. I’ve been waffling on taking it as I’d prefer more comfort. Is it easier to get in the Air, or are they both very low?

I appreciate your report on your test drives!

I test drove the AGT for a bit over an hour today in Millbrae and was fortunate enough to get both the 19” and 21” wheels to test as they had a pair of GT’s on site. Both cars were on software 1.0.8 and were late-run pre-production. The 21” car was white on Santa Cruz and the 19” was black on Santa Cruz.

• General Impressions
    • Interior
      • We’ve had a lot of talk around the Santa Cruz vs. Tahoe interior; I‘d say the Santa Cruz looks quite good in person and is my preference over the Tahoe. The contrast stitching, walnut and overall color palette are very tasteful and well integrated. The Tahoe looks good, for sure, but feels much more monochromatic and doesn’t feel as special inside.
      • The steering wheel in some pre-production cars does not extend out as far as on full production. The black AGT had the wheel go out further than the white one. I was assured this was due to testing out different parts for the steering column and full production cars will have a longer extension (it does not make much difference ergonomically)
      • It took me a bit to get used to the seats again. There’s a lot of adjustment range that you might not use at first - take your time adjusting when you hop in the first time. Lumbar, thigh support, bolsters - it all makes a difference.
      • The headrest moves forward/backward electronically and has a nice range to it.
      • Massage is fantastic. ’nuff said.
      • The black car was outside on a sunny day all morning and had negligible heat gain. I expect darker cars won’t have much issue during the summer (unless you’re in a truly hot climate)
      • I specifically timed my test drive to make sure the sun would be coming over the visors and not far enough overhead to be blocked by my eyebrows so I could see how eye-stabby the light is. I am that big of a nerd. I’m ok with the fixed roof and it seems better than the Model S by a fair margin (I haven’t verified the actual tint levels between the two). I intend to tint it if the sun becomes bothersome, but it was not a deal breaker. If you’re light sensitive like I, you’ll probably be ok.
      • I didn’t have any issue with the cellphone charger at all (iphone 12 pro). I’d note that the fit is pretty tight so adding a case might make it more of an annoyance.
      • I was disappointed that the mirrors don’t move down when you reverse. That strikes me as a big omission, even with the cameras available, but this should be fixable in software.
      • Pro tip: if you want your seat coolers to be really cool, have your climate control blowing air into the footwell as well as directly. The means the coolers grab the cool air coming out from under the seats - the difference is quite noticeable on a warm day.
    • Exterior
      • The white just looks freaking awesome. Black is nicely metallic and also is quite elegant. Both colors are slam dunks.
      • I’m absolutely going to wrap the car, at least the front if not the whole thing. The paint is special and really warrants this extra effort imho.
      • The trim is a nicely matte texture that sets off the paint well. Both cars had some mileage on them and there weren’t any scuffs or dings that drew my eye. I did note that one piece of the matte trim above the right headlight had come away from the body - apparently this was someone‘s fault during service, not necessarily a defect or bad manufacturing.
    • Throttle & Brakes
      • Modulation of the pedals has continued to amaze me. In all three driving modes I never felt the car be too snappy or reactive, nor was it sluggish. Frankly, it is the best I’ve used to this day on most any car.
      • The throttle never fatigues me in my (admittedly brief) drives. It seems to have the right balance between resistance and give so that you don’t wind up suspending your leg and activating muscles to keep it in place. I spent about 15min in stop-and-go traffic on the 101 and never felt a moment of over-activation in my leg in order to maintain a sedate pace, and the same when cruising at 75mph.
      • I also continue to be surprised by just how usable the other drive modes are. The aforementioned traffic was in sprint (edit: originally said swift) mode - I never felt the need to switch out. You could dawdle around town just fine with 800bhp on tap and never once feel it was too much.
      • Want to go? Just give it the beans and you rocket off. Acceleration is excellent in any mode and I never felt like it was a big step back from other cars (will compare with the DE below).
      • The brakes on the AGT were better than I remembered and just hauled me down from speed, no problem. High and Standard regen were just fine, and the brakes blend very well with it - almost seamlessly. The pedal is definitely more responsive than the Model S by a long shot.
      • In traffic I was glad how easy it was to maintain pace without kicking in the regen, even in high. You get so used to maintaining your pace that if you completely let off the pedal the regen kicks in a sudden way. This isn’t a drawback actually - I was happy how relaxing maintaining pace in stopped traffic was, even if the full regen could be sudden.
    • Handling
      • I continue to be surprised by how well the Air can manage its mass. Most electrics (except the Taycan) have a very hard time hiding the weight they carry, but the Air does an excellent job of managing it. The Taycan is the leader for sure here, but damn the Air is close.
      • The distinction here is you definitely know this car is heavy! But it doesn’t really affect you in the way you’d expect, letting you be more confident in your moves.
      • One thing was handling some really big pedestrian-crossing-humps. Right by the Meta office in Burlingame (over by the bay shore) there are some very large humps for the pedestrian crossing. It took that without getting unsettled.
      • The one drawback is if you punch it too early in a turn the traction control will cut in to keep you from eating the wall, which can be off putting if you’re not really pushing it. It’ll take getting used to the mass low-down and how to manage blending in the throttle as you turn - don’t trail brake, and definitely modulate your throttle until you have a clear exit.
      • Another note is how much detail comes through the chassis and steering wheel on the Air, regardless of wheels. You get an immediate sense of where the wheels are without much effort and can easily place the nose of the car in a turn. Potholes and other toughness doesn’t intrude on you however and fatigue isn’t that much of an issue. If you’ve ever driven a Porsche GT3 RS you’ll know what I mean.
  • Comparison with the DE-P
    • Power
      • My main concern was the AGT would feel underwhelming in comparison to the DE. I’m happy to say this is not the case!
      • In all three modes the AGT will leap forward without hesitation. That hammer blow on the DE is stunning for sure, but I doubt anyone with the GT will miss it.
      • At one point I had to squeeze into a gap between a car and a truck loaded with gravel - I punched it once I merged away to keep from taking a rock to the windscreen and easily rocketed past in smooth mode to…speeds.
      • The mid-range punch is definitely less than the DE but not to a meaningful degree. If you need to pass someone in a hurry you’re golden.
    • Handling
      • I didn’t expect much difference here but it is there. The DE has so much power that if anything it is just a bit harder to calibrate your throttle/brake when you’re pushing hard. The car is so reponsive, so fast, that you’re more on the edge than the GT at almost every moment.
      • The end result is the DE can take more getting used to before you can take full advantage of it. The AGT is much easier to get in and feel like a hero.
  • Wheels - 19” vs. 21”
    • This has been a big question for a lot of us. I’m happy to say - 19” all the way and you won’t regret it, unless you really really really want the looks.
    • Imagine an AGT on 21” wheels having the volume for driver feedback dialed up to 10. You’re getting the maximum input and not missing any available details.
    • On most cars like this, stepping down 1-2” in wheel size would result in the volume going down to 3 or 4. It would feel muted and distant; you’d struggle to capture the details and read the road in the same way.
    • The AGT on 19” wheels and tires was a delight as despite the amount of sidewall, you don’t lose much detail. Image volume at 7 or 8. It is down a few notches, but not so far that you’re straining to hear. Everything still comes through.
    • If anything, I found the 19” wheels to be less fatiguing and more enjoyable simply because it let me process what was going on more readily instead of being overloaded. It also was a vastly better general driving experience.
    • That aside, the 21” wheels look So. Damn. Good. Oh well, maybe one day.
Edit: Added this later

What I didn’t get to test & caveats
  • Today I did not get much time to mess with the sat nav. Some owners have had issues, and both cars were on out-of-date software (1.0.8 when cars are now on 1.1.6+). The automated driver assist wasn’t active, so I can’t tell what the car is like when trying to knock down the miles with cruise control.
    Apple CarPlay isn’t active yet in the satnav. Also, the stereo was not the production version (no subwoofer) so I didn’t test it out.
  • I haven’t done a drive longer than an hour or in bad weather. Wet roads are still an unknown to me, but from reviews of the car elsewhere it seems to handle it well. This is one reason I’m sticking with the 19” wheels on all-season tires.
  • Luggage space looks fantastic, but I haven’t tried to stuff it full of bags yet. Once I get mine home I’ll post my impressions.
  • My drives of the competition have been about the same length, but I’ve never lived with an electric car. Other people in DC may have a better idea of some benefits and drawbacks of competitors that I don’t.
Final thoughts vs. the competition
  • I’ve now driven the Taycan, EQS, Plaid, S Long Range and the Air Dream and GT. My original impression that the Air is the right balance continues.
    I was most disappointed in the EQS after a few drives over it being just ungainly in handling and overdone on the inside. The Air manages to feel much more elegant even if the material quality is a bit lower, but not by much.
  • The Taycan is absolutely the better driver’s car, but not by enough to matter in my opinion when you take into account the range, storage space and interior room. If you go from a Taycan to an Air you’ll be surprised but just how much nicer it is to live with, and you give up very little in terms of performance for a comparable trim (GT vs. Turbo for example) and will save money with Lucid as well.
  • I despise the Plaid’s brakes (I have not tried the carbon ceramic yet) and both the Plaid and LR to me are far less nice to live with. Tesla makes up for a lot with the Supercharger network and the software, but I can’t get over the quality issues I’ve seen lots of people have for a $140k car. The Air suspension is also vastly more composed and still manages to communicate the road surface extremely well, even on the 19” wheels.

This is all my first read after the drive today. After I sleep on it I’ll have some more, I’m sure. Some things I didn’t get to do were (a) mess around with the Nav a lot, (b) test the stereo since this one didn’t have the full production version, and (c) take it up some backroads. All that aside, I’m certain now that I’ll take delivery and I’m more excited than ever for the car.

Fire away with questions and I’ll do my best to answer. Here’s some photos as well for you all:

View attachment 840
View attachment 841
View attachment 842

Special thanks to Jessop and Bryce at the Millbrae studio today - they made it a very good experience.
A huge thank you for this detailed review. It is extremely helpful!!!!

@copper I am scheduled to take delivery of a Model S tomorrow. I’ve been waffling on taking it as I’d prefer more comfort. Is it easier to get in the Air, or are they both very low?

I appreciate your report on your test drives!
Oh, this is a tough one. Questions:
  • What model S and with which wheels?
  • Assuming you reserved one, when did you reserve an Air, which trim and have you confirmed yet?
  • How badly do you need a new car at this time? Could you wait longer (as in several months longer?) Cars are hard to come by right now and taking delivery tomorrow, well that’s a big thing to wave off from.
  • How important is the Tesla superchargers and their Autopilot/FSD to you? Is it essential or nice to have?
  • You ask about getting in and out - how tall are you and are you slight/medium/large build? (I’m 6’3” and a tank, so ingress/egress is a big point for me)
My first take for you:
  1. If you need a car right now, just take delivery of the Model S if there are no egregious panel gaps or other QC issues. You can always sell for a much better resale than most other cars on the market if you get an Air later.
  2. If you can wait and don’t mind some uncertainty around timing, the Air is leagues more comfortable imho, especially vs. a Model S on 21” wheels. Road noise is much less, the seats are vastly better, interior legroom is better (especially in the rear). The list goes on. And you’ll just enjoy it so much more.
  3. Getting in and out of the Air has one big point - that big honking A-pillar. It is pretty large, but they’ve padded it after getting in and out a few times you don’t notice it anymore. However, if you have real difficulty getting in and out you might want to rethink - and at that point why are you getting a sedan anyway? Get an SUV!
  4. The big downside of the Air is the newness of the company and the service infrastructure coupled with a lot of software work-in-progress. I don’t mind the gradual upgrades, but if you’re very reliant on the UX being perfect or need the systems that Tesla does so well you might have more issues.
Right now we’re all taking a risk on these cars but the longer you wait the lower the risk will be. There is no need to rush unless you’re just itching for the best, like most of us :D

In case anyone is interested ... I received a $4100 quote for a set of 19s.
That’s pretty good, they’re very nice wheels and I’m assuming that includes wheels too. I was going to get both sets, but after today I’ll probably pass. It really was interesting the difference between the two and within only a few minutes of using the 19’s I was certain I’d stick with them. Both are excellent.

I test drove the AGT for a bit over an hour today in Millbrae and was fortunate enough to get both the 19” and 21” wheels to test as they had a pair of GT’s on site. Both cars were on software 1.0.8 and were late-run pre-production. The 21” car was white on Santa Cruz and the 19” was black on Santa Cruz.

• General Impressions
    • Interior
      • We’ve had a lot of talk around the Santa Cruz vs. Tahoe interior; I‘d say the Santa Cruz looks quite good in person and is my preference over the Tahoe. The contrast stitching, walnut and overall color palette are very tasteful and well integrated. The Tahoe looks good, for sure, but feels much more monochromatic and doesn’t feel as special inside.
      • The steering wheel in some pre-production cars does not extend out as far as on full production. The black AGT had the wheel go out further than the white one. I was assured this was due to testing out different parts for the steering column and full production cars will have a longer extension (it does not make much difference ergonomically)
      • It took me a bit to get used to the seats again. There’s a lot of adjustment range that you might not use at first - take your time adjusting when you hop in the first time. Lumbar, thigh support, bolsters - it all makes a difference.
      • The headrest moves forward/backward electronically and has a nice range to it.
      • Massage is fantastic. ’nuff said.
      • The black car was outside on a sunny day all morning and had negligible heat gain. I expect darker cars won’t have much issue during the summer (unless you’re in a truly hot climate)
      • I specifically timed my test drive to make sure the sun would be coming over the visors and not far enough overhead to be blocked by my eyebrows so I could see how eye-stabby the light is. I am that big of a nerd. I’m ok with the fixed roof and it seems better than the Model S by a fair margin (I haven’t verified the actual tint levels between the two). I intend to tint it if the sun becomes bothersome, but it was not a deal breaker. If you’re light sensitive like I, you’ll probably be ok.
      • I didn’t have any issue with the cellphone charger at all (iphone 12 pro). I’d note that the fit is pretty tight so adding a case might make it more of an annoyance.
      • I was disappointed that the mirrors don’t move down when you reverse. That strikes me as a big omission, even with the cameras available, but this should be fixable in software.
      • Pro tip: if you want your seat coolers to be really cool, have your climate control blowing air into the footwell as well as directly. The means the coolers grab the cool air coming out from under the seats - the difference is quite noticeable on a warm day.
    • Exterior
      • The white just looks freaking awesome. Black is nicely metallic and also is quite elegant. Both colors are slam dunks.
      • I’m absolutely going to wrap the car, at least the front if not the whole thing. The paint is special and really warrants this extra effort imho.
      • The trim is a nicely matte texture that sets off the paint well. Both cars had some mileage on them and there weren’t any scuffs or dings that drew my eye. I did note that one piece of the matte trim above the right headlight had come away from the body - apparently this was someone‘s fault during service, not necessarily a defect or bad manufacturing.
    • Throttle & Brakes
      • Modulation of the pedals has continued to amaze me. In all three driving modes I never felt the car be too snappy or reactive, nor was it sluggish. Frankly, it is the best I’ve used to this day on most any car.
      • The throttle never fatigues me in my (admittedly brief) drives. It seems to have the right balance between resistance and give so that you don’t wind up suspending your leg and activating muscles to keep it in place. I spent about 15min in stop-and-go traffic on the 101 and never felt a moment of over-activation in my leg in order to maintain a sedate pace, and the same when cruising at 75mph.
      • I also continue to be surprised by just how usable the other drive modes are. The aforementioned traffic was in sprint (edit: originally said swift) mode - I never felt the need to switch out. You could dawdle around town just fine with 800bhp on tap and never once feel it was too much.
      • Want to go? Just give it the beans and you rocket off. Acceleration is excellent in any mode and I never felt like it was a big step back from other cars (will compare with the DE below).
      • The brakes on the AGT were better than I remembered and just hauled me down from speed, no problem. High and Standard regen were just fine, and the brakes blend very well with it - almost seamlessly. The pedal is definitely more responsive than the Model S by a long shot.
      • In traffic I was glad how easy it was to maintain pace without kicking in the regen, even in high. You get so used to maintaining your pace that if you completely let off the pedal the regen kicks in a sudden way. This isn’t a drawback actually - I was happy how relaxing maintaining pace in stopped traffic was, even if the full regen could be sudden.
    • Handling
      • I continue to be surprised by how well the Air can manage its mass. Most electrics (except the Taycan) have a very hard time hiding the weight they carry, but the Air does an excellent job of managing it. The Taycan is the leader for sure here, but damn the Air is close.
      • The distinction here is you definitely know this car is heavy! But it doesn’t really affect you in the way you’d expect, letting you be more confident in your moves.
      • One thing was handling some really big pedestrian-crossing-humps. Right by the Meta office in Burlingame (over by the bay shore) there are some very large humps for the pedestrian crossing. It took that without getting unsettled.
      • The one drawback is if you punch it too early in a turn the traction control will cut in to keep you from eating the wall, which can be off putting if you’re not really pushing it. It’ll take getting used to the mass low-down and how to manage blending in the throttle as you turn - don’t trail brake, and definitely modulate your throttle until you have a clear exit.
      • Another note is how much detail comes through the chassis and steering wheel on the Air, regardless of wheels. You get an immediate sense of where the wheels are without much effort and can easily place the nose of the car in a turn. Potholes and other toughness doesn’t intrude on you however and fatigue isn’t that much of an issue. If you’ve ever driven a Porsche GT3 RS you’ll know what I mean.
  • Comparison with the DE-P
    • Power
      • My main concern was the AGT would feel underwhelming in comparison to the DE. I’m happy to say this is not the case!
      • In all three modes the AGT will leap forward without hesitation. That hammer blow on the DE is stunning for sure, but I doubt anyone with the GT will miss it.
      • At one point I had to squeeze into a gap between a car and a truck loaded with gravel - I punched it once I merged away to keep from taking a rock to the windscreen and easily rocketed past in smooth mode to…speeds.
      • The mid-range punch is definitely less than the DE but not to a meaningful degree. If you need to pass someone in a hurry you’re golden.
    • Handling
      • I didn’t expect much difference here but it is there. The DE has so much power that if anything it is just a bit harder to calibrate your throttle/brake when you’re pushing hard. The car is so reponsive, so fast, that you’re more on the edge than the GT at almost every moment.
      • The end result is the DE can take more getting used to before you can take full advantage of it. The AGT is much easier to get in and feel like a hero.
  • Wheels - 19” vs. 21”
    • This has been a big question for a lot of us. I’m happy to say - 19” all the way and you won’t regret it, unless you really really really want the looks.
    • Imagine an AGT on 21” wheels having the volume for driver feedback dialed up to 10. You’re getting the maximum input and not missing any available details.
    • On most cars like this, stepping down 1-2” in wheel size would result in the volume going down to 3 or 4. It would feel muted and distant; you’d struggle to capture the details and read the road in the same way.
    • The AGT on 19” wheels and tires was a delight as despite the amount of sidewall, you don’t lose much detail. Image volume at 7 or 8. It is down a few notches, but not so far that you’re straining to hear. Everything still comes through.
    • If anything, I found the 19” wheels to be less fatiguing and more enjoyable simply because it let me process what was going on more readily instead of being overloaded. It also was a vastly better general driving experience.
    • That aside, the 21” wheels look So. Damn. Good. Oh well, maybe one day.
Edit: Added this later

What I didn’t get to test & caveats
  • Today I did not get much time to mess with the sat nav. Some owners have had issues, and both cars were on out-of-date software (1.0.8 when cars are now on 1.1.6+). The automated driver assist wasn’t active, so I can’t tell what the car is like when trying to knock down the miles with cruise control.
    Apple CarPlay isn’t active yet in the satnav. Also, the stereo was not the production version (no subwoofer) so I didn’t test it out.
  • I haven’t done a drive longer than an hour or in bad weather. Wet roads are still an unknown to me, but from reviews of the car elsewhere it seems to handle it well. This is one reason I’m sticking with the 19” wheels on all-season tires.
  • Luggage space looks fantastic, but I haven’t tried to stuff it full of bags yet. Once I get mine home I’ll post my impressions.
  • My drives of the competition have been about the same length, but I’ve never lived with an electric car. Other people in DC may have a better idea of some benefits and drawbacks of competitors that I don’t.
Final thoughts vs. the competition
  • I’ve now driven the Taycan, EQS, Plaid, S Long Range and the Air Dream and GT. My original impression that the Air is the right balance continues.
    I was most disappointed in the EQS after a few drives over it being just ungainly in handling and overdone on the inside. The Air manages to feel much more elegant even if the material quality is a bit lower, but not by much.
  • The Taycan is absolutely the better driver’s car, but not by enough to matter in my opinion when you take into account the range, storage space and interior room. If you go from a Taycan to an Air you’ll be surprised but just how much nicer it is to live with, and you give up very little in terms of performance for a comparable trim (GT vs. Turbo for example) and will save money with Lucid as well.
  • I despise the Plaid’s brakes (I have not tried the carbon ceramic yet) and both the Plaid and LR to me are far less nice to live with. Tesla makes up for a lot with the Supercharger network and the software, but I can’t get over the quality issues I’ve seen lots of people have for a $140k car. The Air suspension is also vastly more composed and still manages to communicate the road surface extremely well, even on the 19” wheels.

This is all my first read after the drive today. After I sleep on it I’ll have some more, I’m sure. Some things I didn’t get to do were (a) mess around with the Nav a lot, (b) test the stereo since this one didn’t have the full production version, and (c) take it up some backroads. All that aside, I’m certain now that I’ll take delivery and I’m more excited than ever for the car.

Fire away with questions and I’ll do my best to answer. Here’s some photos as well for you all:

View attachment 840
View attachment 841
View attachment 842

Special thanks to Jessop and Bryce at the Millbrae studio today - they made it a very good experience.
Thank you for your report.

Very informative. I went with the 21s because the 19s look so pedestrian. I may regret that. I also am a bit miffed that one showroom gets TWO demonstrators and here near NYC the three closest showrooms have exactly 0 cars to test drive.

You won’t regret the 21s.

You won’t regret the 21s.
I’m hoping my DA tells me the 20 inch rims are available around the same time they give me my VIN. That would be a great compromise

That’s pretty good, they’re very nice wheels and I’m assuming that includes wheels too. I was going to get both sets, but after today I’ll probably pass. It really was interesting the difference between the two and within only a few minutes of using the 19’s I was certain I’d stick with them. Both are excellent.

Yeah I had the same quote (roughly) which included wheels and tires. Only thing that doesn’t include is tax and roughly an hour of labor for install. All in I was charged just about $4500 for the purchase and swap.

Future swaps will be about $120-180 depending on how long they take.

I’m hoping my DA tells me the 20 inch rims are available around the same time they give me my VIN. That would be a great compromise
I‘m pretty smitten with the 20’s. If I upgrade, it’ll be for those.

Great review and thank you for responding to all the questions. I have a Black GT on order awaiting VIN assignment, went with the 19” wheels for comfort and range.

I have a 4+ hour drive from home to the nearest Lucid facility, so I ordered without seeing or getting in the vehicle. In a post you mentioned you you were a 6’3” tank. I am a 6’4” 290 lb. Tank. So it was good to hear that ingress/egress was fine for you.

Again, great review!

Great review and thank you for responding to all the questions. I have a Black GT on order awaiting VIN assignment, went with the 19” wheels for comfort and range.

I have a 4+ hour drive from home to the nearest Lucid facility, so I ordered without seeing or getting in the vehicle. In a post you mentioned you you were a 6’3” tank. I am a 6’4” 290 lb. Tank. So it was good to hear that ingress/egress was fine for you.

Again, great review!
Really glad to hear it helped. Us tanks have to look out for eachother! :D

I did end up buying the 21’s as well, but more for times when I specifically want to have fun. Once they arrive I’m going to do a week back-to-back with each on a specific set of roads to compare them in-depth. Otherwise I plan to use the 19’s for daily life.

Can we switch from 19's to 20's or 21's without any electronic system adjustments or do we have to have Lucid service switch them and make system adjustments? I ordered 19's but may switch them to 20's and get winter compound tires for Nov to March.

Can we switch from 19's to 20's or 21's without any electronic system adjustments or do we have to have Lucid service switch them and make system adjustments? I ordered 19's but may switch them to 20's and get winter compound tires for Nov to March.
On the DE, switching the tires will require a reset by a Service Tech via a service center for now. Eventually, they likely will provide information for local shops to perform this function.

Again, great review!
Let's be realistic here. I'm 6'2" 240lbs and have to watch my head each time getting in. My wife is 5'2" and she has to do the same. Once in the car, however, you will have plenty of head and leg room.

You will need to find an entry and exit technique that will not pinch a c-spine nerve. You will work it out because you will WANT to drive the car that much!! :)

Back