Advice for future owner shopping used GTs

jace

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
AGT
I am looking to move from my Rivian R1S to a GT as begin a more frequent commute between Chicago and Minneapolis. I rented an Air Pure and fell in love with the comfort , but know I wanted more features / range of the GT.

Looking for any seasoned advice I should take into account as I scour the listing for Grand Tourings, things to look for, must have features, etc.

Must haves , Dream Drive Pro, Surreal Sound Pro

Appreciate any other advice or things you'd definitely suggest looking into before buying (e.g. known issues I should try to avoid)

The biggest difference between the GT & Touring is obviously the range and the HP. Just be careful as the early GT’s came with everything but later on they became more customizable so while one may have DreamDrive Pro another may not etc.

In terms of known issues, the main ones I can think of which seem to occur on a number of models are the steering wheel can creak along with the parcel shelf leather can rub against the glass making a noise. There’s other random ones like door latches and frunk latches misaligning but they’re few and far between. These are pretty minor and Lucid is more than willing to fix quickly if they arise though.

In other words, I don’t think you’re going to hear anyone in here say “don’t buy it” or “run for the hills”, lol. You’re probably also going to get a really good deal on a secondhand one because the depreciation has probably gone down a little more aggressively than expected but luxury cars do depreciate faster than others.

Just be patient on the software. It still has some little quirks but Lucid has said that software is the number 1 priority now with a number of big updates coming out in the coming months including android auto, hands off driving and auto lane change to name a few.

I think the best way to sum up Lucid is that it’s a great car to drive, the management team are very passionate and listen to owner feedback but it still has some little things to iron out like software etc. Are these issues a dealbreaker? I would say no but something to keep in mind. From an engineering standpoint the car is phenomenal and don’t think you’d regret your purchase.

Hope this is useful.

The biggest difference between the GT & Touring is obviously the range and the HP. Just be careful as the early GT’s came with everything but later on they became more customizable so while one may have DreamDrive Pro another may not etc.

In terms of known issues, the main ones I can think of which seem to occur on a number of models are the steering wheel can creak along with the parcel shelf leather can rub against the glass making a noise. There’s other random ones like door latches and frunk latches misaligning but they’re few and far between. These are pretty minor and Lucid is more than willing to fix quickly if they arise though.

In other words, I don’t think you’re going to hear anyone in here say “don’t buy it” or “run for the hills”, lol. You’re probably also going to get a really good deal on a secondhand one because the depreciation has probably gone down a little more aggressively than expected but luxury cars do depreciate faster than others.

Just be patient on the software. It still has some little quirks but Lucid has said that software is the number 1 priority now with a number of big updates coming out in the coming months including android auto, hands off driving and auto lane change to name a few.

I think the best way to sum up Lucid is that it’s a great car to drive, the management team are very passionate and listen to owner feedback but it still has some little things to iron out like software etc. Are these issues a dealbreaker? I would say no but something to keep in mind. From an engineering standpoint the car is phenomenal and don’t think you’d regret your purchase.

Hope this is useful.

Thanks for the great advice.

Any good way to look up the specs by VIN? I've found a couple on cargurus I'm interested in and have asked the dealers to send me the original Maroney or a list of the specs.

Thanks for the great advice.

Any good way to look up the specs by VIN? I've found a couple on cargurus I'm interested in and have asked the dealers to send me the original Maroney or a list of the specs.
The Monroney is probably your best bet. You can look for things in the menus like the massaging seats, if the ADAS goes into Highway Assist mode then you have DreamDrive Pro etc.

As HC_79 said, early GTs came loaded. I'm sure all 2022's come with everything you want. Probably most 2023s too but I'd check with Lucid. Also if you see a great buy on a Touring in those years, they can be upgraded if they don't already have DDPro and SSPro.

If my Google maps is correct, the drive is about 410 miles. You may be able to make the trip without charging if you have a GT on 19 inch wheels and drive carefully. Anything else makes it dicey and you'll probably need to stop once to charge.

You can find low mile 22’ GT’s in the mid 60’s with all desirable options. It’s a buyers market for all luxury EV’s. The GT is an amazing deal at those prices.

The one piece advice I'd add to all these would be to look for 19" or 20" rims given where you live and how much you're planning on driving.
Real winters will require snow tires and better manage potholes which 21" might not handle as well.

I’m looking at 2022 GT from a private owner near Cleveland. It’s burgundy in the 19s

I’m looking at 2022 GT from a private owner near Cleveland. It’s burgundy in the 19s
Plan to make one quick charging stop between Chicago and Minneapolis. You'll be able to make the whole run in good weather if you keep your speed to 65mph or below with the wind at your back, etc, but it's not worth the worry, just stop and plug in for 10 minutes somewhere.

Plan to make one quick charging stoop between Chicago and Minneapolis. You'll be able to make the whole run in good weather if you keep your speed to 65mph or below with the wind at your back, etc, but it's not worth the worry, just stop and plug in for 10 minutes somewhere.
Definitely , my bladder would never make the entire trip. I'm looking forward to one short stop vs. 2 stops in the Rivian.

I have a GT 2022 . It has been a great car. 13k miles, no issues other than usual software glitches that get fixed with updates. Drives amazingly well. However, I have been thinking of trading for a Rivian which would suit my lifestyle/driving options better. I really don’t need the range the GT has, but it is nice to have. I live in NY so not an easy swap, but would consider a discussing a trade if interested.

Seems like a good match for you - current pricing suggests mid to low $60s.

Yes, $68k but needs a passenger side mirror replacement (cracked by garage strike). 4k miles. Front XPEL + Ceramic Coat + Tint which I value as I would have OCD done this.

Seems like a great a deal.

Yes, $68k but needs a passenger side mirror replacement (cracked by garage strike). 4k miles. Front XPEL + Ceramic Coat + Tint which I value as I would have OCD done this.

Seems like a great a deal.
Great deal. I have all the OCD things done to mine as well. LOL

I would get an estimate on the cost of replacing the mirror - that might help you decide on whether you should counter offer.

Reactions: DBV
Drive it over a range of bumps, listen for a squeak coming from the back deck. Also listen for creaks during steering wheel operation. Those were the things I needed to resolve (along with a one-off airbag separation issue, but it's never bene reported by anyone else afaik, so I suspect you're good there) when I acquired mine, along with a long list of software updates (the dealership didn't keep it current).

There's quite a few '22 GT's in the $68-72K range, so you've got some choices. Very happy overall with mine. Keep in mind that later GT's didn't necessarily come fully loaded, so if you start seeing '23 or 24's, know that you'll want to review the specs even more closely.

DD Premium is a base level safety requirement IMO. It's challenging to park safely without it, and lane changes are undoubtedly less work with the blind spot cams. DD Pro is a 'nice to have' as Highway Assist is only available on...highways. The current feature set is not THAT compelling (but is slated to get better).

Regarding touring vs GT, the extra range is definitely helpful for trip planning. There is a substantial difference in usability for road trips that I would describe as 'common' (200-300 miles each way).

Lucid also sells demo’s on their available car page and they seem like really good deals too.

Lucid also sells demo’s on their available car page and they seem like really good deals too.
They do, but be prepared for highly varied levels of communication during the acquisition process. My original order sat for 2-3 weeks before confirming that the car had been damaged beyond reasonable repair during transportation. It then took ANOTHER 2 weeks to get the payment back, during which time I nearly missed out on a private sale as my funds were tied up with Lucid.

Obviously the damaged part is rare...however, the lack of communication from various sales associates can be a thing based on other reports here.

If I had to do it again, honestly, I'd stick with buying via private sale if you're in any sort of a rush for your vehicle. The warranty support is the same (by the service manager's own admission) whether you purchase from Lucid or otherwise. The only thing they do over and above what a dealer would do is a more thorough pre-sales inspection, and you get the comfort of knowing it's been under Lucid's control the whole time....but you should also know that it's had the hell beaten out of it on most test drives, or the employees driving it around (if I had to guess).

It's official. I'm taking delivery of this one on Monday.
2022 GT , 4100 miles , 68k

Thanks for the warm welcome to the community and looking forward to diving in with you guys!

Attachments

• Lucid2.webp
    Lucid2.webp
    344.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Lucid1.webp
    Lucid1.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 805
Back