Adaptive headlights finally legal

Lucken

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Pure, BMW i4
Referral Code
97KPWDUB
This is great news for our woefully outdated headlight regulations (and headlights) in the U.S. We will finally start to see cars with adaptive headlights before too long.

I wonder, will Lucid be able to implement this through software upgrades or is the current hardware not equipped for it?

I wonder, will Lucid be able to implement this through software upgrades or is the current hardware not equipped for it?
I know the BMW i4 has these adaptive lights but the adaptive functionality was to be removed via software for U.S. based cars and enabled later if the regulation changed. BMW will now be able to enable the function either via an OTA update or at the factory for U.S. cars. Since no i4s have yet shipped here, this should pose no problem.

I would certainly assume Lucid could do the same if the hardware is there. In fact there would be little point in having the hardware there if its full functionality couldn’t be enabled later, if regulations changed.

Most higher end cars shipped over the past several years have these and they are just disabled via software. Lucid obviously has not developed them yet, but the headlights are individual LEDs, so it should be straightforward and doable via OTA

Some random thought:

When the headlights turn on, I think I see the light ‘sweep up’ - like the old style lights that physically move up. I think this is done by successively illuminating each row of the microarray. Since there are several light modules with micro arrays in the headlights, one would think this could control some rudimentary light projection. Also, the part of the light projection that is currently turned off, I would conjecture is software controlled.

I hope that this can be enabled by OTA updates.

I understand that my GV-60 can't do it, as the hardware is not compatible.

Not only adaptive headlights, camera mirrors are being looked into. No real way to integrate them into the lucid's design though.

Back