Adapter for charging lucid at tesla supercharger

So, the adaptor is readily available because it is being shipped by Tesla to Ford owners. I have seen in the some video on YT Rivian owners charged at EA without any issues using the same adaptor. It’s even the same part# for both. At this point, there are few limitations for Lucid like 50KWh max charge, cable length short, we don’t know if the same adaptor will fit the Lucid as well.

Did anyone try ford adaptor with Lucid ? I am asking my friend to order because he charges 100% at home. I politely asked him to get the adaptor from ford and give it to me 😂

So, the adaptor is readily available because it is being shipped by Tesla to Ford owners. I have seen in the some video on YT Rivian owners charged at EA without any issues using the same adaptor. It’s even the same part# for both. At this point, there are few limitations for Lucid like 50KWh max charge, cable length short, we don’t know if the same adaptor will fit the Lucid as well.

Did anyone try ford adaptor with Lucid ? I am asking my friend to order because he charges 100% at home. I politely asked him to get the adaptor from ford and give it to me 😂
Someone tried, it doesn't work.

The Supercharger network is a proprietary system. The physical port is not relevant. Tesla has to give permission for a third party to use it.
Which is insane! To make EVs more practical, it should be required of all EV manufacturers to place a certain amount of chargers. To even it out and make it easier for the EV owners.
Giving permission is a bit much 🥴

IMG_2686.jpeg
IMG_2685.png

The article I referenced says there will be a deal by 2025. Tesla is cutting deals with Rivian and several others already

Which is insane! To make EVs more practical, it should be required of all EV manufacturers to place a certain amount of chargers. To even it out and make it easier for the EV owners.
why is it insane?
when the supercharging network was being built out by tesla, Elon offered every other EV manufacturer to be able access the tesla network, not one took him up on that offer and tesla went on to build an extensive network of chargers that are designed for THEIR vehicles.
they had and still have no obligation to provide for other EVs.
there is nothing insane about it.

Last edited:
Someone tried, it doesn't work.
it won't work.
when ANY L3 charger is plugged into an EV a "conversation" takes place. it goes something like this, hi EV, let's see if you are capable and authorized to charge here.
in the case of a Lucid or almost any other EV currently trying to use a Tesla supercharger, the charging unit will have that conversation and then determine that a Lucid or whatever car is not authorized to draw power from the Tesla charger.

I thought the issue with the Supercharger Network is the cable length at each station is too short to reach the front driver's side of the Lucid.

Is that not the case?
that is an issue but it isn't what is limiting other EVs from using the superchargers

In the quote that you cited, it's 2025.

Just because there's an adapter, that doesn't mean the charge is authorized.

Supercharger authorization can be as below:

1. Magic Dock Superchargers that have built-in CCS1 adapter. The authorization is done by using Tesla app.

2. Your car's brand has authorized it: Ford, Rivian for now. Lucid in 2025.
to clear things up. there are adaptors available that allow any EV to use a tesla L2 DESTINATION charger. currently there are no adaptors that you can buy to allow an EV to use the L3 tesla superchargers. in the near future there are going to be a couple of EVs, like Fords, that there will be an adaptor that they can use on the tesla superchargers.

Really don’t need access to SC stations that will deliver 50kW. Would rather Tesla open them up to every other automaker now. That will free up the EA stations for me.

Really don’t need access to SC stations that will deliver 50kW. Would rather Tesla open them up to every other automaker now. That will free up the EA stations for me.
there aren't any tesla L3 at 50kww, some of the urban chargers are at 70kwh and the newer v3 chargers are at around 200kw

there aren't any tesla L3 at 50kww, some of the urban chargers are at 70kwh and the newer v3 chargers are at around 200kw
You are missing the point that the tesla level 3 are only 500V so the Lucid Air has to DC to DC up-convert to charge our 800-900V batteries. That up conversion is limited to 50kW. Hence, the supercharger network is only good for 50kW to an Air.

currently there are no adaptors that you can buy to allow an EV to use the L3 tesla superchargers
Yes, there are several. Here is an example:

The issue right now for Lucid is that they have not been enabled for Supercharging . The above adapter will work with Ford and Rivian, currently.

Lucid in 2025? It’s almost like there is bad blood between Elon and Peter…
There's no conspiracy here: Early birds get the worms.

Ford announced the deal on 5/25/2023, and Lucid announced it on 11/06/2023.

We are not China or the EU, so the US government cannot mandate the standards for which a company should go.

Although the charging format cannot be mandated, the government can provide a carrot: if you build a minimum of 4 CCS1 stalls per station with 920VDC and 150kW, you can get subsidies.

It's a private company that earns money so it needs to know who you are to get the money.

"Permission," in this case, is a way to set up how Tesla can get paid.

If you have a Vinfast that has not signed a deal, you can still use the Tesla Supercharger, but you have to set the payment system up with a Tesla App and can only go to "Magic Dock" stations that have the built-in CCS1 adapter.

Once that kind of permission is done, the charging procedure is quite very convenient.

why is it insane?
when the supercharging network was being built out by tesla, Elon offered every other EV manufacturer to be able access the tesla network, not one took him up on that offer and tesla went on to build an extensive network of chargers that are designed for THEIR vehicles.
they had and still have no obligation to provide for other EVs.
there is nothing insane about it.
I would agree up until the point that he received federal money and also contracted with the other manufacturers to use NACS. You know that Elon is slow walking access to the Super Charger Stations for the other manufacturers.

What? The article specifically cites Tesla was awarded $17 million from the Biden 2021 infrastructure plan for building charging stations. I'm sure they also received more money prior to that but this is recent. And you don't think Ford and all the other manufacturers agreed to switch to NACS unless they were promised some access to the Tesla SCS, do you?

Back