ACC Actions

Maybe you need to take a drive with a service tech? I've never had an issue following any car. If traffic is more congested I use 2 bars.
No, it's a bug.

It only happens when all traffic is stopped. My guess is that the software gets confused because that are no motion triggers.

No, it's a bug.

It only happens when all traffic is stopped. My guess is that the software gets confused because that are no motion triggers.
I can attest to this also. ACC\HA are fine in moving traffic it's when traffic is at a complete stop on the freeway. You just continue to approach at the high speed and as i'm in a car and not of a roller coaster at 6 flags it freaks you out at the speed it's approaching stopped vehicles. 😂

In stop and go traffic, i've found 2 bar distance to be the sweet spot.

I can attest to this also. ACC\HA are fine in moving traffic it's when traffic is at a complete stop on the freeway. You just continue to approach at the high speed and as i'm in a car and not of a roller coaster at 6 flags it freaks you out at the speed it's approaching stopped vehicles. 😂

In stop and go traffic, i've found 2 bar distance to be the sweet spot.
In Houston traffic, if I set the distance to two bars, people just fill in the cap and I keep getting pushed back! :eek: ;)

In Houston traffic, if I set the distance to two bars, people just fill in the cap and I keep getting pushed back! :eek: ;)

Exactly, same in Phoenix (with my BMW Traffic Jam Assist and two bars). Drivers aren't used to people following at reasonable distances; they must jump into any small gap they see.

I'm going to say this as a joke, but it appears that letting ACC/HA stop a car to me is like the feeling when you have your 15 year old child behind the wheel for the first time.

I use ACC and HA on a regular basis and so far its worked as intended. When traffic slows, or a car comes in front of me, the Car slows down as it should, without too much of a sudden change. I have not encountered coming at speed to stopped traffic on the freeway yet so not sure how my car would react. I think I would probably take over if I noticed the car wasn't reacting in time with regards to my feeling of what's a safe distance. I would be interested to see if this is common place where the car doesn't recognized stopped traffic on ACC or HA without a reference car slowing down in front, but I don't want to test out this theory, cause this car is heavy and takes a while to stop without regen braking kicking in instantly.

I use ACC and HA on a regular basis and so far its worked as intended. When traffic slows, or a car comes in front of me, the Car slows down as it should, without too much of a sudden change. I have not encountered coming at speed to stopped traffic on the freeway yet so not sure how my car would react. I think I would probably take over if I noticed the car wasn't reacting in time with regards to my feeling of what's a safe distance. I would be interested to see if this is common place where the car doesn't recognized stopped traffic on ACC or HA without a reference car slowing down in front, but I don't want to test out this theory, cause this car is heavy and takes a while to stop without regen braking kicking in instantly.

Here is Indy the 38th street exit going southbound on I-65 dips under an overpass and at the bottom there is a stop light. You can be the only car driving 55 mph and come to this light where one car is already stopped. Me personally I would never use ACC/HA to stop me in this instance.

Received my Touring in early April. Love it except for one feature. LUCID, PLEASE DIAL BACK THE SPEED with which ACC APPROACHES STOPPED CARS WHEN AT HIGHWAY SPEED. It scares us to death! In NJ, a car in an adjoining lane approaching a traffic light with stopped traffic could try to quickly cut over to my lane between me and the car I am zooming up behind. ACC should be calibrated to begin slowing further back than it does.

Received my Touring in early April. Love it except for one feature. LUCID, PLEASE DIAL BACK THE SPEED with which ACC APPROACHES STOPPED CARS WHEN AT HIGHWAY SPEED. It scares us to death! In NJ, a car in an adjoining lane approaching a traffic light with stopped traffic could try to quickly cut over to my lane between me and the car I am zooming up behind. ACC should be calibrated to begin slowing further back than it does.
The manual says:

"WARNING: Adaptive Cruise Control may not detect stationary or slow moving vehicles below 6 mph (10 km/h)."

The capability of the current software is very good at dealing with moving obstacles but very bad with stationary obstacles.

Once the software will be refined further in the future, it will be able to brake for both moving and stationary obstacles just the way that Waymo is doing right now. Lucid is not Waymo just yet, but give it some time and more paying customers, it will.

It's not calibrated to stop for stopped cars at all. Read the manual. You need to manually turn off ACC when approaching stationary objects.

Traffic Jam Assist, which will be released sometime in the future, will be able to slow down in these situations. ACC and HA, meanwhile, are not designed for this.

Thanks for the clarification. Not to be quarrelsome - just my observation: The question is why not? Seems like a flaw to me. My 2013 Lincoln’s ACC slows down for stopped cars. It doesn’t come screaming up their tail pipe.

Thanks for the clarification. Not to be quarrelsome - just my observation: The question is why not? Seems like a flaw to me. My 2013 Lincoln’s ACC slows down for stopped cars. It doesn’t come screaming up their tail pipe.

It's a software issue. Someone needs to write up a program to brake for stationary obstacles. Lucid has just got up to brake for moving obstacles only. It takes money and time to do the next step.

Like you said, Lincoln could, like I said, Waymo can, so Lucid will also in the unknown future.

Probably because Lucid’s developers haven’t gotten their work to that point yet. Give it time.

We bought our first Tesla in March 2017. Though it came equipped with “autopilot”, and had capabilities like adapative cruise control and autosteering, it couldn’t detect stationary objects either. It took about a year after our purchase for that feature to become available, and even then, on its initial release, the ability to slow down and stop before colliding into stationary cars was very rough, very unrefined indeed.

It took several iterations after the initial release of “braking for stationary objects”, before allowing the car to do the slowing down and braking stopped being a test of fortitude.

Give them time.

This is a planned feature Lucid is working on. But it is not a part of the current feature set. Programming takes time.

Your 2013 Lincoln doesn't have a pan-and-zoomable 360 cam. Nor does it have a mobile phone key. Why not? The Lucid does.

Take any two cars, in other words, and there will be features in one that don't exist in the other. Companies make choices about what they want to ship and when. In the meantime, it's important for us as drivers to understand the abilities and limitations of our individual cars before we drive them.

The nice part is this is something Lucid can add after the fact with a software upgrade. Your Lincoln is never going to get such upgrades.

It's a software issue. Someone needs to write up a program to brake for stationary obstacles. Lucid has just got up to brake for moving obstacles only. It takes money and time to do the next step.
Lucid uses the NVIDIA DRIVE software which supposedly includes all the tools to make this happen. Nvidia really touts the software and makes it seem like it can do all these wonderful things. It sounds like this software is really not for prime time yet, and it requires a lot of input from Lucid — that, or Lucid is dragging their feet and don’t have the software expertise to pull it off.

Lucid uses the NVIDIA DRIVE software which supposedly includes all the tools to make this happen. Nvidia really touts the software and makes it seem like it can do all these wonderful things. It sounds like this software is really not for prime time yet, and it requires a lot of input from Lucid — that, or Lucid is dragging their feet and don’t have the software expertise to pull it off...

Software is not my field, but I suspect Nvidia sells different price levels to OEMs depending on how much they can afford. If you pay more, the software integration would be faster because Nvidia would hold your hands to make sure it works from A to Z. If you pay less, you need to hire your own workers to write up programs to integrate them into your car.

Mercedes has already come out with an L3 system based on NVIDIA DRIVE Orin and NVIDIA Omniverse. L3 is already running in Germany and also approved in Nevada on highways and up to 40 MPH. Mercedes takes responsibility if L3 Mercedes hits someone or something while it's in L3 operation.

If Lucid has money, it too can do what Mercedes can: Braking for stationary obstacles.

I have said this over and over and been put down for it. Lucid did a poor job of implementing ACC because it works differently than most other cars.

I have said this over and over and been put down for it. Lucid did a poor job of implementing ACC because it works differently than most other cars.
Screenshot_20230514_115645_Chrome.jpg

Back