ACC Actions

SubSailor

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Tesla M3, AirGT
I drove about 60 miles today with ACC on. I am totally scared how fast it approaches a stop light or car stopped in front of me. I had to use my brakes numerous times then re-engage ACC. I had the distance set at maximum. I love one pedal driving and use it with my Tesla always but my GT is downright scary still. I have 2.0.33 software and all else looking good with exception of occasionally losing Alexa response & not always recognizing mobile key when I approach. I am looking forward to OTAs continually improving my Lucid. I will be happy when it does all the things pertinent to driving (no fart noises) my Tesla does. I like the sentry and dashcam, camper mode, dog mode, tracking location via smartphone, video via smartphone, vocal commands readily understood and implemented, being able to turn lights off when in car, homelink automatic, reading a speed sign and speeding up or down, and so on. I know Lucid will get there soon but approaching a stop light at 55 mph and not slowing down 50 yards out is nerve wracking. Had to sit with seat massage on max for 20 minutes to recover.

Are you expecting the Lucid to stop at a stoplight by itself? That is not going to happen in the current software, and likely won't for a long time. ACC is adaptive cruise control only. There is no functionality like Tesla's FSD and no promises of the same. If that's what you're expecting, you're way off, and that's the problem.

Hmm I've used ACC/HA for about 600 miles now and its been great. Worst part is that is biases toward the right side of the lane a bit much, but maintaining space has been great.

But as for the stop lights... that isnt part of the ACC features. It has no idea what a red light is.

Last edited:
I may be misinterpreting what you are looking for, but you can see your car's current location on the Maps tab on Lucid's phone app. The car will recognize speed limit signs and offer to change the car's ACC speed to match if you press the steering wheel's left toggle button.

Are people confusing ACC and HA?

ACC is Adaptive Cruise Control, which automatically modulates your preset speed if there are slower cars in front of you. There is no auto steering or lane centering involved.

HA is Highway Assist, which combines ACC with lane centering, so the car will follow lane markers on certain, pre-approved highways. It does not change lanes in its own. It does not take off ramps on its own. It doesn't stop at stoplights on its own, and I doubt it can even be used on roads with stoplights given the geofencing that limits its use to approved highways only.

I drove about 60 miles today with ACC on. I am totally scared how fast it approaches a stop light or car stopped in front of me. I had to use my brakes numerous times then re-engage ACC. I had the distance set at maximum. I love one pedal driving and use it with my Tesla always but my GT is downright scary still. I have 2.0.33 software and all else looking good with exception of occasionally losing Alexa response & not always recognizing mobile key when I approach. I am looking forward to OTAs continually improving my Lucid. I will be happy when it does all the things pertinent to driving (no fart noises) my Tesla does. I like the sentry and dashcam, camper mode, dog mode, tracking location via smartphone, video via smartphone, vocal commands readily understood and implemented, being able to turn lights off when in car, homelink automatic, reading a speed sign and speeding up or down, and so on. I know Lucid will get there soon but approaching a stop light at 55 mph and not slowing down 50 yards out is nerve wracking. Had to sit with seat massage on max for 20 minutes to recover.
What I find scary is that you thought the car could do this and drove this way. Please drive carefully and learn how all the features work before you do this again.

I'll let @SubSailor respond as to what he meant, but I've used ACC quite a bit and one of the things I think could be improved is that when the car in front of me comes to a full stop (at a light, e.g.), I find that my car doesn't slow down w/ the car in front as much as it should, but rather brakes a bit aggressively (I've never had an issue, but if someone is following me, I usually step on the brake to avoid them slamming into me).

btw, the other ACC improvement I'd like to see is that I wish it'd coast a little better when I turn ACC off (like the car does when letting off the pedal during normal driving) so as not to feel like you've stepped on the brake. Unfortunately, of the many cars I own/owned, very few do this well .. (ironically, I love the way my F150 transitions when I turn ACC off)

As I remember it, it took Tesla about a year and a few updates before our first Tesla purchase, a March 2017 build Model S, was able to to recognise a car stopped at a red light ahead, and to then start slowing down from a safe distance. As I remember it, the early EAP “Enhanced Autopilot” software could only detect objects ahead if it was moving. It didn’t have a hope of doing so if the object was stationary.

About a year later, the autopilot software had progressed enough so that the Tesla could be relied upon to slow down from a safe distance and come to a complete stop when it detected a stationary car ahead. Five years after our first Tesla purchase, the EAP, which has now morphed into FSD Beta, is unrecogniseable in its many capabilities. The system is both impressive and terrifying .

Give Lucid’s software engineers time. I believe the “Enhanced Driver Assistance” features we’ve come to take for granted in Teslas will make their way into our Lucids too.

This ACC issue have always been there. I reported it months ago. Others say that the ACC in their cars works fine but mine never has.

As I remember it, it took Tesla about a year and a few updates before our first Tesla purchase, a March 2017 build Model S, was able to to recognise a car stopped at a red light ahead, and to then start slowing down from a safe distance. As I remember it, the early EAP “Enhanced Autopilot” software could only detect objects ahead if it was moving. It didn’t have a hope of doing so if the object was stationary.

About a year later, the autopilot software had progressed enough so that the Tesla could be relied upon to slow down from a safe distance and come to a complete stop when it detected a stationary car ahead. Five years after our first Tesla purchase, the EAP, which has now morphed into FSD Beta, is unrecogniseable in its many capabilities. The system is both impressive and terrifying .

Give Lucid’s software engineers time. I believe the “Enhanced Driver Assistance” features we’ve come to take for granted in Teslas will make their way into our Lucids too.

God, I wish we had the capability of deleting our own posts. That was a really $hitty piece of writing I managed to produce and now I can’t delete it or edit it.

Do people actually use ACC on regular streets with stoplights? If so, why? I'm just wondering because it's not something I have ever considered doing. I've only ever thought of it as a highway function.

This ACC issue have always been there. I reported it months ago. Others say that the ACC in their cars works fine but mine never has.
Yes, that's right. I don't think this works correctly for anyone! People say the car will stop for stopped traffic, but I have rarely had this work (20% of the time). According to the manual, it's won't stop reliably if the car in front is going below a certain speed. I spent over an hour demonstrating this to the Service Team in Scottsdale. They recorded the journey and were going to send it to headquarters. I still haven't heard back. I would think with "LIDAR", the car would know the drivable space and not try to ram into stopped traffic.

Do people actually use ACC on regular streets with stoplights? If so, why? I'm just wondering because it's not something I have ever considered doing. I've only ever thought of it as a highway function.
I use it all the time in the city, but it obviously will not stop at stop lights. But I expect it to stop for stopped traffic, which it does rarely.

you'd have to define "regular streets".

I've mostly grown up in highly congested cities and suburbs, but I'm now driving further away from city centers and often use ACC (on all my cars, not just my Lucid) .. especially in towns where it seems that the biggest source of income is from traffic/speeding tickets. A lot of these roads are rural, but have traffic lights.

I use it every day and have in our other cars for years. The issue is that my DE cannot "see" traffic in front if it's not moving. The collision avoidance feature with eventually kick in and slam on the brakes. Not ideal. The ACC in our other cars does not have this flaw. And only my wife's AMG EQS has Lidar.

Hmm I've used ACC/HA for about 600 miles now and its been great. Worst part is that is biases toward the right side of the lane a bit much, but maintaining space has been great.

But as for the stop lights... that isnt part of the ACC features. It has no idea what a red light is.

Has anyone proven that the HA really does bias toward the right? Because I get the same feeling but am not sure if I'm just biased toward the left as a driver. I'd have a lot more peace of mind with HA if it'd just move to the left 3 to 6 inches.

As for ACC, it seems to always brake aggressively when cars ahead are stopped. This may become interesting when the roads become icy.

"Define interesting."

Has anyone proven that the HA really does bias toward the right? Because I get the same feeling but am not sure if I'm just biased toward the left as a driver. I'd have a lot more peace of mind with HA if it'd just move to the left 3 to 6 inches.

As for ACC, it seems to always brake aggressively when cars ahead are stopped. This may become interesting when the roads become icy.

"Define interesting."

I am laughing, but it's really not funny!

"Define interesting."

I definitely feel that I, as a driver, am too close to the middle of the lane.. just feels a bit off, and cars are too close on the right. I often cancel HA in high speed heavy traffic because of this. It seems fine at lower speeds.

What I find scary is that you thought the car could do this and drove this way. Please drive carefully and learn how all the features work before you do this again.
I expect my GT to slow down at stop sign when car in front is stopped. I was not in HA but ACC. I mentioned Tesla features because I think Lucid should use their features as a starting point. Maybe there is proprietary code but Lucid knew these features and could have started their software with a headscarf. Even after transitioning to a new baseline, they had a good baseline. By the way, I used this forum and 6 months of reading the manual before my GT arrived. Pretty sure I know how to drive it safely but I am always learning more idiosyncrasies of Lucid.

I expect my GT to slow down at stop sign when car in front is stopped. I was not in HA but ACC. I mentioned Tesla features because I think Lucid should use their features as a starting point. Maybe there is proprietary code but Lucid knew these features and could have started their software with a headscarf. Even after transitioning to a new baseline, they had a good baseline. By the way, I used this forum and 6 months of reading the manual before my GT arrived. Pretty sure I know how to drive it safely but I am always learning more idiosyncrasies of Lucid.
Headscarf should be headstart

Back