5.0 miles/kWh: Say Hello to the World's Most Efficient Car

It is frustrating to learn that GT owners not only overpaid (new car is now cheaper by $40 000 or more) for their cars and were the pioneers and test drivers for Lucid and yet improvements are only on Pure cars. Is there an improvement for other Lucid cars?
I have no regrets about my GT purchase. Every single car in the history of time has depreciated, some faster than others, and has served as a test bed for future models.

It is frustrating to learn that GT owners not only overpaid (new car is now cheaper by $40 000 or more) for their cars and were the pioneers and test drivers for Lucid and yet improvements are only on Pure cars. Is there an improvement for other Lucid cars?
What makes you think improvements are only on Pures? The 2025 lineup was just announced and I don’t think we have specs on the other trims yet. The 2024 GT got a heat pump, other improvements are sure to come in the 2025 MY. Software improvements (including for efficiency) come to us all where possible. The Pure made the article because it is the most efficient. That’s not new, and it’s not due to special treatment. It’s a few hundred pounds lighter and optimized more for efficiency than performance. Why get frustrated at your own imagination?

Steve, our EV9 also disables the front motor and powers the rear wheels with its "eco" mode (we have the same power distribution widget). There is also no clunk in our case. Could somebody explain how this is?
Look at @DeaneG 's response above yours. Without the mechanical disconnect, there is still drag from the free-spinning motor.

I can’t believe Mercedes didn’t put their 2020 4 cylinder turbo used in their AMG CLA45 in the 2019 AMG A35 I got. Or that time when I bought the iPhone 13 and then a few months later Apple came out with the iPhone 14 and didn’t give me the newest one and mine lost value.

I for one as an early GT owner don’t mind one bit they’ve advanced their tech so much that it’s being used on their most affordable model first. I’m not worried advances won’t also make it into future GTs.

Please bear in mind that the whole reason for the 2025 Pure RWD press announcement was to tout the record-breaking 5.0 miles/kWh. Details on all the other 2025 trim levels will be released in due time, but there is no reason for you to think that Lucid will hold any improvement just for the Pure trim level. I have no doubt that any Pure improvement that can go to the higher trim levels will go to the higher trim levels, and there may very well be enhancements to the higher trim levels that did not make it to the 2025 Pure RWD. I think you know that you can't expect the higher trim levels to achieve the Pure's 5.0 miles/kWh EPA rating, but they will have every advantage that the Pure has, short of pulling out a motor, and the higher trims EPA ratings will no doubt rise accordingly.

Please consider joining me in taking more of a 'wait and see' attitude about this.

A GT fully loaded with everything we got included is definitely not that much less expensive now once you add those features. I find nothing “frustrating” about the price I paid for what I got and when I got it. We are not “test drivers”, we knew exactly what we were getting. Zero regrets.
At least they weren't idiots like those Dream Edition buyers...man what dummies

I'm really enjoying this test drive.

Lucid also states that all 2025 Air variants have gotten a control hardware upgrade resulting in triple the processing power and twice the memory compared to the previous generation. The result promises “significantly enhanced and faster in-car infotainment experience.”

I find it interesting that Lucid only mentions these upgrades to the control hardware as promising infotainment-related improvements. Wouldn't such an upgrade potentially enable other system improvements? Specifically, it makes me wonder if DreamDrive Pro enhancements that would be possible with upgraded control hardware would not be possible with the prior/current generation control hardware. That then leads me to wonder if Lucid can/would be able to upgrade the control hardware of existing Air models in order to fulfill the paid-for-pricey promise of DreamDrive Pro. If that can be done, and if that is what it takes to 'fill the order', then I think they certainly should.
They can upgrade existing air CPU. You can refer to this video:

You believe everything you see on YouTube?

All kidding aside, until Lucid actually announces something, I wouldn’t make any plans. My guess is they will eventually offer some sort pf upgrade path. But as of today, no such path exists.

That’s interesting he said the CPU may be upgradeable. I don’t think that’s accurate either but I don’t think he just made that up, maybe misunderstood something Lucid told him? Some minor things are upgradeable, like the new version frunk/trunk covers that tri-fold and stay in place without having to be removed. I’d certainly upgrade the CPU if that is true but I’d ask Lucid. This is a great video though, I’m gonna send it to a colleague who’s considering one.

That’s interesting he said the CPU may be upgradeable. I don’t think that’s accurate either but I don’t think he just made that up, maybe misunderstood something Lucid told him? Some minor things are upgradeable, like the new version frunk/trunk covers that tri-fold and stay in place without having to be removed. I’d certainly upgrade the CPU if that is true but I’d ask Lucid. This is a great video though, I’m gonna send it to a colleague who’s considering one.
I really respect the team at Savagegeese. My guess is he was told something that they are considering, but then he interpreted that to mean it was definitely happening.

I’d love to see an upgrade made available. It could be more a matter of practicality than cost for them. After all, they could always price it to cover their parts and labor. But the time and scheduling might be a lot for the service centers to handle. Particularly for folks living hundreds of miles away. With Gravity coming, seems like it could be a bit of an overburden on that team if a lot of people opted into this.

I imagine the service techs are going to be getting a lot of training on Gravity in the coming months. Do they have time for this?

Of course, they could also fix that by pricing the upgrade such that only a few of us are nuts enough to pay it.

I really respect the team at Savagegeese. My guess is he was told something that they are considering, but then he interpreted that to mean it was definitely happening.

I’d love to see an upgrade made available. It could be more a matter of practicality than cost for them. After all, they could always price it to cover their parts and labor. But the time and scheduling might be a lot for the service centers to handle. Particularly for folks living hundreds of miles away. With Gravity coming, seems like it could be a bit of an overburden on that team if a lot of people opted into this.

I imagine the service techs are going to be getting a lot of training on Gravity in the coming months. Do they have time for this?

Of course, they could also fix that by pricing the upgrade such that only a few of us are nuts enough to pay it.

Hasn't this upgrade been positioned as pretty much only improving the response times of the various infotainment systems? Early on in this thread, I questioned whether the upgrade might also facilitate the implementation of new, or significantly enhanced features. If that's the case, I'm sure we will all be pretty much demanding it. BUT... If it only sped up the infotainment-related systems a bit, is anyone so dissatisfied with the status quo that it would be worth the hassle (and possibly cost) of installing the upgrade? I have never been frustrated with the way it responds today. Just wondering...

Hasn't this upgrade been positioned as pretty much only improving the response times of the various infotainment systems? Early on in this thread, I questioned whether the upgrade might also facilitate the implementation of new, or significantly enhanced features. If that's the case, I'm sure we will all be pretty much demanding it. BUT... If it only sped up the infotainment-related systems a bit, is anyone so dissatisfied with the status quo that it would be worth the hassle (and possibly cost) of installing the upgrade? I have never been frustrated with the way it responds today. Just wondering...
I imagine IF lucid were to offer an upgrade it would be after some divergence where cars with the new cpu start gettting features that the old cars don’t. I don’t see them offering an upgrade just for a little responsiveness improvement

I imagine IF lucid were to offer an upgrade it would be after some divergence where cars with the new cpu start gettting features that the old cars don’t. I don’t see them offering an upgrade just for a little responsiveness improvement

I think that would make perfect sense... What's confusing me is that a lot of people seem to want this upgrade, and are even willing to pay for it, even if it does nothing more than speed up the infotainment systems a bit.

Hasn't this upgrade been positioned as pretty much only improving the response times of the various infotainment systems?
Nobody has positioned any possible upgrade as any particular thing, as Lucid has not announced a thing. Until they do, we won’t know what any kind of upgrade would mean, and everything else is pure speculation.

BUT... If it only sped up the infotainment-related systems a bit, is anyone so dissatisfied with the status quo that it would be worth the hassle (and possibly cost) of installing the upgrade? I have never been frustrated with the way it responds today.
I wish nav were faster, and I would take faster switching between screens. Is it bad? No. Could it be better? Absolutely.

I think that would make perfect sense... What's confusing me is that a lot of people seem to want this upgrade, and are even willing to pay for it, even if it does nothing more than speed up the infotainment systems a bit.
Some people also just like being on the latest and greatest. I buy a new laptop every few years, but it isn’t because I have “outrun the specs” of my existing laptop. :)

Some people also just like being on the latest and greatest. I buy a new laptop every few years, but it isn’t because I have “outrun the specs” of my existing laptop. :)
The biggest culprit here for most people is phones. People cycle phones every year (me included) for really no good reason. iPad is another bad offender here.

The M1 14 inch MBP stopped me from laptop hopping. It’s just too good.

Back