3 blowouts within a Week

SunnySide

Cars
Lucid Grand Touring
DE Number
Well I’m back complaining about my car again. I just want to know if anyone else has also had a similar issue and start a thread addressing this. I think these lucid 21 inch tires are absolute garbage straight garbage. I have had 3 blowouts within a week. My first blowout was May 14th and on that one I do admit I hit a pretty big pothole going relatively fast say around 55-65 on Lake Shore Drive. And immediately my tire pressure sensors went off and said the front left tire was flat I had about .5 miles from my destination so I just drive on it because it was still in frame. Then had the tow arranged to my house and from there had a Mobil unit sent to my house they take off the tire and say my wheel is bent and now they can’t replace the tire without me getting another wheel. Whatever it’s one tire and wheel combo and I hit a pretty big pothole. Lucid tells me that no other tires are damaged and the only tire damaged was the front left. Makes sense right. May 20th my mother was taking it to a local grocery store to charge and get some grocery’s no more then .75 miles from my house. On the way home the back left tire blows while she was going 45 mph no bumps or anything. She was one minute from my house but this time none of the tire sensors came on no psi warning nothing of that nature mom pulls into the drive way Mobil unit is dispatched right away and they say the same thing as last time saying the tires just popped and they can’t replace because wheel is bent and this point I’m a little skeptical that one technician told me that all the other tires are good and then within 2 days or repairing it another tire blows out and it’s wheel needs to be replaced. But it’s fine I just assumed that the technician maybe didn’t look at all the tires and there was a bubble or something gave them a benefit of the the doubt. This time requested that they check all the tires again and make sure there weren’t any bubbles or anything like that and no more wheels were bent. Assured me everything was alright. I get back from my business trip and I’m driving it on May 26th at 4:30 Peak Rush hour here in Chicago basically in a parking lot at this time; stop and go stop and go on 290 East it opens up a little bit and I increase my speed to around 35-45 and all of a sudden no bumps or anything I just feel the car shaking but the car is still steering straight no tire sensors are on nothing if that nature pull the car over within .5 miles notice that my front right tire is completely torn up and was smoking. Called Lucid Tow waiting 90 mins and while the tow truck was towing my car he scratched my frunk I don’t know how he did that but he did. Had it towed and now lucid is asking me to replace that wheel as well and saying I need to replace the sensors and at this point I’m concerned for the safety of this car because if tires keep blowing like this at high speeds it could end up being incredibly dangerous for other people and yourself. So I’m just writing this to see if anyone else has any insight on what’s going on or what I should do now. Because frankly I’m so confused and tired of dealing with all this. If anyone is interested I have pictures of all the tire damages and stuff too if they want to try and diagnose what happened.

Thanks

Wow. Sorry to hear. Worst tire experience I’ve ever heard. The entire wheel had to be replaced all three times??

Well I’m back complaining about my car again. I just want to know if anyone else has also had a similar issue and start a thread addressing this. I think these lucid 21 inch tires are absolute garbage straight garbage. I have had 3 blowouts within a week. My first blowout was May 14th and on that one I do admit I hit a pretty big pothole going relatively fast say around 55-65 on Lake Shore Drive. And immediately my tire pressure sensors went off and said the front left tire was flat I had about .5 miles from my destination so I just drive on it because it was still in frame. Then had the tow arranged to my house and from there had a Mobil unit sent to my house they take off the tire and say my wheel is bent and now they can’t replace the tire without me getting another wheel. Whatever it’s one tire and wheel combo and I hit a pretty big pothole. Lucid tells me that no other tires are damaged and the only tire damaged was the front left. Makes sense right. May 20th my mother was taking it to a local grocery store to charge and get some grocery’s no more then .75 miles from my house. On the way home the back left tire blows while she was going 45 mph no bumps or anything. She was one minute from my house but this time none of the tire sensors came on no psi warning nothing of that nature mom pulls into the drive way Mobil unit is dispatched right away and they say the same thing as last time saying the tires just popped and they can’t replace because wheel is bent and this point I’m a little skeptical that one technician told me that all the other tires are good and then within 2 days or repairing it another tire blows out and it’s wheel needs to be replaced. But it’s fine I just assumed that the technician maybe didn’t look at all the tires and there was a bubble or something gave them a benefit of the the doubt. This time requested that they check all the tires again and make sure there weren’t any bubbles or anything like that and no more wheels were bent. Assured me everything was alright. I get back from my business trip and I’m driving it on May 26th at 4:30 Peak Rush hour here in Chicago basically in a parking lot at this time; stop and go stop and go on 290 East it opens up a little bit and I increase my speed to around 35-45 and all of a sudden no bumps or anything I just feel the car shaking but the car is still steering straight no tire sensors are on nothing if that nature pull the car over within .5 miles notice that my front right tire is completely torn up and was smoking. Called Lucid Tow waiting 90 mins and while the tow truck was towing my car he scratched my frunk I don’t know how he did that but he did. Had it towed and now lucid is asking me to replace that wheel as well and saying I need to replace the sensors and at this point I’m concerned for the safety of this car because if tires keep blowing like this at high speeds it could end up being incredibly dangerous for other people and yourself. So I’m just writing this to see if anyone else has any insight on what’s going on or what I should do now. Because frankly I’m so confused and tired of dealing with all this. If anyone is interested I have pictures of all the tire damages and stuff too if they want to try and diagnose what happened.

Thanks
First question, did your drive your car in the winter on those tires?

That’s a bummer. It’s also possible that you had bubbles on the inner side of the wheel. This is impossible to inspect on the rear and very difficult on the fronts. The only true way to inspect the tires is to dismount or put it on a lift. Seems like Chicago streets are pretty bad. Time to get the Americas/Discoun Tire warranty. At least the tires would’ve been covered, I don’t think they would have covered rim damage.

First question, did your drive your car in the winter on those tires?
I put around a 1000 miles during the winter but never when it was snowing or anything like that plus it kept a garage the whole time

I put around a 1000 miles during the winter but never when it was snowing or anything like that plus it kept a garage the whole time
I think the reason he asked this original question is because cold weather is known to create weakness in summer tires. This may be the root cause of your problems. A quick look at the temperatures in Chicago this past winter tells the story. The tires became damaged due to cold conditions and were susceptible to blowouts. This tire selection was not appropriate for your usage case. You should consider buying winter wheels and tires given your location. Here is an article about this: https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/can-i-drive-summer-performance-tires-in-cold-temperatures

Screenshot 2023-05-28 at 10.51.17 PM.png

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/can-i-drive-summer-performance-tires-in-cold-temperatures

can you store 21" tires in the garage during winter? or will that affect its durability?

3 blow outs in one week. Even if the first blow out was due to ‘winter driving on summer tires’, that becomes irrelevant for the subsequent two blow outs each happening in May on brand new tires. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with a paltry 1000 ‘winter miles’ that may or may not have weakened a summer tire 🤔

Low profile tires are a bitch in Chicago, on my original Lucid order I chose 20" wheels for aesthetics and then my intimate knowledge of city streets said abort 20" wheels and go with 19's on with this heavy automobile.

When driving my SVR in the city (265/35R20 front tire 305/30R20 rear tire) I keep huge gaps between me and the car in front of me and even then you can get hit with a sucker punch of a pothole.

I think the reason he asked this original question is because cold weather is known to create weakness in summer tires. This may be the root cause of your problems. A quick look at the temperatures in Chicago this past winter tells the story. The tires became damaged due to cold conditions and were susceptible to blowouts. This tire selection was not appropriate for your usage case. You should consider buying winter wheels and tires given your location. Here is an article about this: https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/can-i-drive-summer-performance-tires-in-cold-temperatures

View attachment 12610

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-garage/can-i-drive-summer-performance-tires-in-cold-temperatures
We had a really warm winter, but not warm enough for summer tires.

3 blow outs in one week. Even if the first blow out was due to ‘winter driving on summer tires’, that becomes irrelevant for the subsequent two blow outs each happening in May on brand new tires. In my opinion, this has nothing to do with a paltry 1000 ‘winter miles’ that may or may not have weakened a summer tire 🤔
I think the real issue is that we all know the 21” are more prone to failure than the 19”, so when you add in 1K miles of driving in winter temps to the mix, you’re making them even more likely to eventually fail because for 1K miles they were exposed to driving conditions that would weaken their already weak baseline.

They weren't new though, front left, back left and front right. It'd be different if the same tire kept failing, but it really does just sound like the tires failing in sequence. Wouldn't be surprised to hear back right soon.

It’s not the miles. Unless OP has a heated garage, it’s the winter temperatures.

You might like the references to cold temperatures being the likely culprit, but getting failures on 3 of your 4 tires actually supports that likelihood. They don't need to fail all at the same time, but if the rubber compound was compromised it would only be a matter of time.

Note that Perelli explicitly warns about this problem with their summer tires and will not warrant that use. 😞

@SunnySide : I feel your pain - time, anxiety, $, etc ... I went thru' a similar issue on Mothers Day, with my wife driving the car, she experienced two immediate blow outs.

Lucid is not willing to accept responsibility. And I'm sorta mentally exhausted asking them more than 3+ times. I have replaced them with 19s (non OEMs from Discount Tire). Did not want the hassle of a future blowout while driving and dealing with Urgently (Lucid's tow partner, which BTW sucks.), etc.

On the positive side, car now shows 520 miles range as opposed to 465 or so.

P.S: I used the tire during winter months (!!! Feb & Mar this year) in PNW. Car is always garaged that has added insulation.

View attachment 12610

The only problem with this is the days I drove the car were like the nicest days in the winter always above 45 and yea it’s not ideal on summer tires but it was also stored in a heated garage and my other car also has summer tires and it was my winter daily. And nothing had happened in that car.

Low profile tires are a bitch in Chicago, on my original Lucid order I chose 20" wheels for aesthetics and then my intimate knowledge of city streets said abort 20" wheels and go with 19's on with this heavy automobile.

When driving my SVR in the city (265/35R20 front tire 305/30R20 rear tire) I keep huge gaps between me and the car in front of me and even then you can get hit with a sucker punch of a pothole.
You’d think with the amount of construction the roads would be fixed by now

Back