2nd Gen Rivian R1

xponents

Cars
Kia EV9, future Air?

1025 hp with 0-60 in less than 2.5... just insanely ridiculous. It sounds tempting and will likely have a far better performance/dollar ratio versus the Gravity. Still though, I can't help but be worried about the fact that some normal people will have access to 1000+ hp in a 7000 pound brick. No different versus the Hummer EV I suppose, but this seems quicker than that. Its real world range will also likely beat the Gravity (in the max pack), although the battery is far bigger to achieve this.

Amid the most notable changes to the new vehicles is their computing power, which Rivian says delivers 10 times more performance than the previous system.

The new system uses dual Nvidia DRIVE Orin processors to help power the “Autonomy Compute Module,” which includes driver-assistant features. Rivian said a “premium version” of the system also will be available with a broader set of capabilities such as hands-free driving “for periods of time.” Rivian said drivers will still need to pay attention to the road at all times.

Rivian really planned fast, the factory is merely recently shut down to retool, but it’s actually a 2nd generation EV with same exterior look.

Last edited:
Amid the most notable changes to the new vehicles is their computing power, which Rivian says delivers 10 times more performance than the previous system.

The new system uses dual Nvidia DRIVE Orin processors to help power the “Autonomy Compute Module,” which includes driver-assistant features. Rivian said a “premium version” of the system also will be available with a broader set of capabilities such as hands-free driving “for periods of time.” Rivian said drivers will still need to pay attention to the road at all times.
Lucid apparently has Nvidia DRIVE Orin processors. Look how far that's gotten us........

Lucid apparently has Nvidia DRIVE Orin processors. Look how far that's gotten us........
I think they're still using the old Tegra series of processors for the Air, ca. 2016-ish. Gravity will have a more modern processor. @borski or @Adnillien, please check my work.

I think they're still using the old Tegra series of processors for the Air, ca. 2016-ish. Gravity will have a more modern processor. @borski or @Adnillien, please check my work.
Correct. The processors for the Air are from 2015ish.

That will not be the case for Gravity.

Will they also upgrade the looks?

Will they also upgrade the looks?
I hope they don't, since it gives me that one bit of nostalgia from my childhood!

1717713351833.png

Correct. The processors for the Air are from 2015ish.

That will not be the case for Gravity.
$10K for “Future Ready” with 2015 tech…… nice 😂

Don't forget, those chips are still plenty capable. All the necessary sensors are there for Lucid to utilize, and with what they have, their promises are definitely achievable. It is simply a matter of time, although I admit it has been pretty long winded for you 2022 owners.

Don't forget, those chips are still plenty capable. All the necessary sensors are there for Lucid to utilize, and with what they have, their promises are definitely achievable. It is simply a matter of time, although I admit it has been pretty long winded for you 2022 owners.
Impatient 2022 owners lol

Impatient 2022 owners lol
Good point, especially considering you're a 2021 owner! It all depends on what your expectations were and how important the feature would be to you, I guess. For example, my parents would be indifferent if it came now or in 2033, but some people who bought the car with ADAS being a major reason might want it sooner (and be "impatient" as you said).

I definitely expect more ADAS features by the end of 2024. Just a hunch, no evidence to back it up. Maybe with Gravity and UX 3.0? If it did stretch into 2025, I would consider Lucid to be behind on this.

Hey, mine came with the car. :)

But again: remember that back then someone had to pick up their calls and sell them processors.

Hey, mine came with the car. :)

But again: remember that back then someone had to pick up their calls and sell them processors.
A question.. does anybody know why 2015 chips were used? That is from before even the very first prototype of the Air was revealed, and a 6 year development time (5 years if we take into account it should have came out in 2020) would be extraordinarily long. When so many other things were revamped, why not the chips? It couldn't be the chip shortage, seeing as to how that happened within 1 year of the Air's launch... right?

A question.. does anybody know why 2015 chips were used? That is from before even the very first prototype of the Air was revealed, and a 6 year development time (5 years if we take into account it should have came out in 2020) would be extraordinarily long. When so many other things were revamped, why not the chips? It couldn't be the chip shortage, seeing as to how that happened within 1 year of the Air's launch... right?
Let's just say, like Borski mentioned before, that when you are a brand new mfg, you take what you can get when you are putting a car together. Not everyone is willing to work with you and/or you get the scraps of what is left over. This was very much a thing during the chip shortage.

Let's just say, like Borski mentioned before, that when you are a brand new mfg, you take what you can get when you are putting a car together. Not everyone is willing to work with you and/or you get the scraps of what is left over. This was very much a thing during the chip shortage.
There was also a pandemic in the middle there for a few years. Anyway, I can guarantee you it wasn’t by choice or negligence.

Lucid should be paying very close attention to Rivian. They basically reengineered the car in a very aggressive timeframe along with all the UI/UX upgrades. Native Apple Music is coming along with Dolby Atmos also. With Lucid and Rivian releasing the mid-market model around the same time Lucid could be left in the dust if it doesn’t get its software game up to par. Rivian seems to be nailing on both Engineering & Software with Lucid still appearing to struggle with software.

Rivian has bigger brand recognition than Lucid also. If they’re betting the horse on “our car goes further than anyone else’s” it may not be enough to compete. 😬

Lucid should be paying very close attention to Rivian. They basically reengineered the car in a very aggressive timeframe along with all the UI/UX upgrades. Native Apple Music is coming along with Dolby Atmos also. With Lucid and Rivian releasing the mid-market model around the same time Lucid could be left in the dust if it doesn’t get its software game up to par. Rivian seems to be nailing on both Engineering & Software with Lucid still appearing to struggle with software.

Rivian has bigger brand recognition than Lucid also. If they’re betting the horse on “our car goes further than anyone else’s” it may not be enough to compete. 😬
I have a feeling that the Gravity software and Air V2.0 (UX 3.0) will be everything we hoped Air 1.0 was and will close the gap significantly or maybe even put Lucid ahead. Faith my fellow Lucid friends.

Back