2nd Gen Rivian R1

I have a feeling that the Gravity software and Air V2.0 (UX 3.0) will be everything we hoped Air 1.0 was and will close the gap significantly or maybe even put Lucid ahead. Faith my fellow Lucid friends.
Fingers crossed it will be backward compatible.

I have a feeling that the Gravity software and Air V2.0 (UX 3.0) will be everything we hoped Air 1.0 was and will close the gap significantly or maybe even put Lucid ahead. Faith my fellow Lucid friends.
I love feelings

Fingers crossed it will be backward compatible.
I was told the Sapphire has ~5x the processing power of the DE and the Gravity has ~5x what's in the Sapphire.
It will be interesting to see what is Gravity specific and what comes to Airs.

Anyone know if all 2024 Airs have a processor upgrade?

You keep using that word but I know nothing about anything and I am not on the inside

I just make good educated guesses
Yea we all know who the real insider is anyways...

You keep using that word but I know nothing about anything and I am not on the inside

I just make good educated guesses
I know, I'm just poking a bit of fun at you. :)

I still can't shake the feeling that we do have at least one "real" insider on this forum... and the two responses above this certainly don't do anything to quell that assumption!

I hope my wife likes the Gravity when it is available. We both do like the R1S but for her no CarPlay is an absolute deal killer. Won’t even consider looking at it.

We need the eye emoji reaction 👀 or 🧐
1717784579468.png

I also think that software in Gravity will be all that and a bag of potato chips. I just hope that one way or another they do whatever they have to do to get current Airs as close to Gravity’s software capabilities as possible, understanding that it probably can’t get there completely.

Keeping our software relevant would inspire confidence in future owners that they won’t get lost in the dust every time Lucid releases a new model. Tesla and Rivian nailed this and older models have the same amount of software capability as new models, across all platforms. The release of the Cybertruck didn’t render the rest of the fleet obsolete and I have a feeling that Lucid will try to do the same, even though they haven’t talked about it. The alternative would be very bad for the brand, so I have to think that they will have to upgrade the fleet somehow.

Finally, here is a thread I have something meaningful to contribute to. As an owner of a first-generation R1T, I'm more seriously looking at a Gravity and not considering a Rivian refresh for a couple of reasons. The first reason is price, Rivian moved the needle on price pretty far, and the tri-motor which matches my performance 0-60 time is 20K more than the first gen quad was for the same spec I'd want. That puts the premium quad well in the price range of the new Range Rover EV that comes out soon. Spending that much on a car isn't a deal breaker for me, but that pricing tier comes with higher expectations than Rivian offers. I don't like their fake "vegan" leather AKA plastic. Sure, it's decent quality, and I do like the interior design, but it doesn't compare with high-quality leather. They also lack features like a HUD, which I'd expect for that price.

Secondly, the Rivian is a genuine off-road capable vehicle, but I don't know many people who will rock crawl their 130K dollar EV. Sure, you could argue that the Range Rover markets itself as an off-roader, but the RR is luxury first and off-road second. I can put up with cheaper finishes for 80-90k; I can even ignore a couple of cheaper finishes for 100K if the overall performance is excellent, but not for 120-140. I know I keep referencing different prices, but that's because Rivian hasn't announced revised quad pricing. My build on their site for a Tri was in the 120s, so it could be up to 140 to get all the special features.

Third is charging speed. Sure, Rivian's max pack gets over 400 miles of range, and my experience with Rivian is that I get pretty close to their stated range with mine, but they're still sticking with a 400V architecture. I have the large pack, 135kWh, and a longer charge of 10-80%, which takes about 40 minutes. I have taken a few long distances, over 2K miles round trip, travels in my Rivian, and overall, it's a great road tripper, but sitting at a charger for 40 minutes plus is too long. The way I drive takes 800 mi+ days, and over that sort of distance, the 800V vehicles will charge in an hour less, which is a big deal when you're talking about 13 hours in the car. This is a big one; if the second-gen R1S had 800V charging speeds, I would most likely move to one of those even at the increased price, with the cheaper finishings being something that would bother me, but I'd get over.

My last reason is more about me than it is about the R1 series of vehicles. I bought my R1T because it was the first electric truck with supercar acceleration and handles substantially better than any other vehicle of the same size and capability. I do not do the off-road driving that Rivian focuses on. My idea of a fun time is a dinner or a gallery opening in the city or a road trip to a microbrewery my wife and I like. I enjoy cars that handle exceptionally well and are quick enough to be fun to drive. However, I NEED a car that has enough room to take my dogs places or fit my family and gear on a road trip with enough room. That means SUV or truck and when I bought my R1 it was the only vehicle that hit all those marks. Now with the Gravity, the Range Rover, even the Kia EV9, Genesis makes stuff that might work, the Lyric might work, the Volvo XC 90 and others handle the room and most of them do what I need as well or better than the Rivian does for varying prices and accompanying trade offs.

Overall, I think Rivian makes an excellent product, and I'm happy with my Gen 1 vehicle. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned, and If it weren't for the charging speed, I wouldn't even be looking for something else.

Finally, here is a thread I have something meaningful to contribute to. As an owner of a first-generation R1T, I'm more seriously looking at a Gravity and not considering a Rivian refresh for a couple of reasons. The first reason is price, Rivian moved the needle on price pretty far, and the tri-motor which matches my performance 0-60 time is 20K more than the first gen quad was for the same spec I'd want. That puts the premium quad well in the price range of the new Range Rover EV that comes out soon. Spending that much on a car isn't a deal breaker for me, but that pricing tier comes with higher expectations than Rivian offers. I don't like their fake "vegan" leather AKA plastic. Sure, it's decent quality, and I do like the interior design, but it doesn't compare with high-quality leather. They also lack features like a HUD, which I'd expect for that price.

Secondly, the Rivian is a genuine off-road capable vehicle, but I don't know many people who will rock crawl their 130K dollar EV. Sure, you could argue that the Range Rover markets itself as an off-roader, but the RR is luxury first and off-road second. I can put up with cheaper finishes for 80-90k; I can even ignore a couple of cheaper finishes for 100K if the overall performance is excellent, but not for 120-140. I know I keep referencing different prices, but that's because Rivian hasn't announced revised quad pricing. My build on their site for a Tri was in the 120s, so it could be up to 140 to get all the special features.

Third is charging speed. Sure, Rivian's max pack gets over 400 miles of range, and my experience with Rivian is that I get pretty close to their stated range with mine, but they're still sticking with a 400V architecture. I have the large pack, 135kWh, and a longer charge of 10-80%, which takes about 40 minutes. I have taken a few long distances, over 2K miles round trip, travels in my Rivian, and overall, it's a great road tripper, but sitting at a charger for 40 minutes plus is too long. The way I drive takes 800 mi+ days, and over that sort of distance, the 800V vehicles will charge in an hour less, which is a big deal when you're talking about 13 hours in the car. This is a big one; if the second-gen R1S had 800V charging speeds, I would most likely move to one of those even at the increased price, with the cheaper finishings being something that would bother me, but I'd get over.

My last reason is more about me than it is about the R1 series of vehicles. I bought my R1T because it was the first electric truck with supercar acceleration and handles substantially better than any other vehicle of the same size and capability. I do not do the off-road driving that Rivian focuses on. My idea of a fun time is a dinner or a gallery opening in the city or a road trip to a microbrewery my wife and I like. I enjoy cars that handle exceptionally well and are quick enough to be fun to drive. However, I NEED a car that has enough room to take my dogs places or fit my family and gear on a road trip with enough room. That means SUV or truck and when I bought my R1 it was the only vehicle that hit all those marks. Now with the Gravity, the Range Rover, even the Kia EV9, Genesis makes stuff that might work, the Lyric might work, the Volvo XC 90 and others handle the room and most of them do what I need as well or better than the Rivian does for varying prices and accompanying trade offs.

Overall, I think Rivian makes an excellent product, and I'm happy with my Gen 1 vehicle. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned, and If it weren't for the charging speed, I wouldn't even be looking for something else.

I love my Gen-1 R1S. I don’t exclusively take it off-road, but I love the fact if I ever get stuck in freeway, I can raise height and rock crawl out of side slope down to feeder road and vice versa. Even though 800 makes it charging faster, but most of EA 350kW are not consistent. Despite at 400V, Rivian charging curve is quite impressive to hold up high before 50% SOC. Lucid is superior at ride quality, Rivian is just a fun vehicle with plenty of infotech features.

Back