19" vs 21" Tires: Ride Quality/Range Difference

My DA told me last week that he will look into:
1) How/when to make selection of center disc (black vs silver)
2) What options/colors are available regarding lug nut covers.
3) How to inform the SC, which is where the car goes before it’s shipped to customer’s house, about these choices since they do the install of the disc and lug nut covers.

I’m awaiting my DA to let me know this info.

If you don’t like their color options for lug nut caps you have options on Amazon. Just need to know the lug size.

ColorLugs Vinyl LugCap Lug Nut Cover Black | Flexible Fit Lug Nut Cap | Fits 21-23mm Wide x 1 Inch deep | Pack of 25 & Deluxe Extractor | Available in a Variety of Colors and Sizes | Made in The USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CHWGSZZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MWYNBJ3KA3RM70321TRC

FWIW test-drove an Air with 21" wheels today, and found the ride quality great. My previous test drive car had 19" wheels. I think I'll stick with waiting for the 20" wheels to become available - I like the slightly better connectedness the larger wheels provide but am worried about pothole damage to the 21's.

I did come away with a much more positive impression of the air for some reason on today's test drive.

FWIW test-drove an Air with 21" wheels today, and found the ride quality great. My previous test drive car had 19" wheels. I think I'll stick with waiting for the 20" wheels to become available - I like the slightly better connectedness the larger wheels provide but am worried about pothole damage to the 21's.

I did come away with a much more positive impression of the air for some reason on today's test drive.
I think the 19s cushion the ride too much so from a pure driving perspective the 21s will get you that tingling in your loins.

I also prefer the 20” but there continues to be no news or update on that since I asked many times. All I get is a canned corporate answer from my DA. I bet you won’t see them till 2023 if at all. That’s why I just changed my order to 19”.

I also prefer the 20” but there continues to be no news or update on that since I asked many times. All I get is a canned corporate answer from my DA. I bet you won’t see them till 2023 if at all. That’s why I just changed my order to 19”.
Lucid’s website stated Q4 for the 20” so I confirmed 21” and will order a set of 19” for winter. If winter compound tires are available for the 21’s by November I will use those. My expectation is that Lucid wheels are as strong as Porsche wheels and can handle the usual potholes as my Panamera GTS’s did in MA winters.

My DA said the 20" wheels are pushed out until at least December, after I inquired.

My DA said the 20" wheels are pushed out until at least December, after I inquired.
Yes I heard the same. It’s the third delay but they won’t say why. Do you REALLY have confidence you’ll see it in Dec? They said the same about Q2, then Q3. Now late Q4. Something is up with these wheels.

Yes I heard the same. It’s the third delay but they won’t say why. Do you REALLY have confidence you’ll see it in Dec? They said the same about Q2, then Q3. Now late Q4. Something is up with these wheels.
Or with the tires. Most manufacturing has been screwed up for two years, including China's.

I have to disagree a bit on the 19" wheels. Yes, without a doubt, the 21" wheels look better. But after removing the aero covers from the 19" wheels, putting the disc (that says "Lucid") in the center of the wheel and putting lug-nut caps on, I really love my 19" wheels.

View attachment 2328

For folks who asked questions regarding the extra pieces on each wheel, here are the actual part numbers:
lucid_wheel.jpg

I have to disagree a bit on the 19" wheels. Yes, without a doubt, the 21" wheels look better. But after removing the aero covers from the 19" wheels, putting the disc (that says "Lucid") in the center of the wheel and putting lug-nut caps on, I really love my 19" wheels.
They look great! I may have to reconsider my long wait for the 20's.

For folks who asked questions regarding the extra pieces on each wheel, here are the actual part numbers:
View attachment 2522
Thank you so much for this. I definitely want to go this route.

To be clear, they will still give you the plastic inserts, in case you want to put them on for a long road trip, for example?

1) The 19" wheels have a single piece aero cover that can be pulled out. At the center is a circle with "Lucid" in the middle. You cannot separate this out from the rest of the aero cover. The folks at Millbrae gave me two color options for that disc that says "Lucid" - silver or black. I went with silver.

2) Yes, the 19" aero cover can be removed. Unlike the 21" wheels, it is a single piece with "spokes" radiating out. I can take a pic later. It's still inside the trunk.

3) The folks at Millbrae ordered the lug nut caps for me. That will be billed to me when I go there in a couple of weeks. I can ask them more details about those caps - I honestly know nothing about those caps (brand/cost).
Millbrae is my studio too. Associate Jessop is terrific. When the Rocklin studio opens I will be going there instead.
Do you think that these 19” wheel items will be generally available from lucid? I saw how great they look. Then you need red calipers.
1654393208927.jpeg

To be clear, they will still give you the plastic inserts,
Yes, the aero covers come with the car. I have no intention of putting them back on ever. If someone needs a set of 19" aero covers, name your price.

Yes, the aero covers come with the car. I have no intention of putting them back on ever. If someone needs a set of 19" aero covers, name your price.
Has anyone asked service representative how much range is lost by removing the plastic inserts?

I read somewhere, I wish I could remember where, that removing the aero covers the Lucid Air loses about 5% of its range. Thus, for the GT this is about 25 miles over a full charge.
Take that info for what its worth since I have not vetted it.

I read somewhere, I wish I could remember where, that removing the aero covers the Lucid Air loses about 5% of its range. Thus, for the GT this is about 25 miles over a full charge.
Take that info for what its worth since I have not vetted it.
That's just a guess based off the testing done on the Model 3 with aero covers off

Reactions: DJL
So I did cave and changed my GT order to 19" wheels (@mnewber1). Thank you @pam4_AGT ans @CraZ8 for the cool-enough accessorized 19" and bent 21" photos. Also I was just checking ABRP for the practicality of a road trip into the remote eastern high Sierras, and saw that it would be quite difficult in our current sole car, an otherwise swell 210-mile range Volvo XC40 SUV-EV.

Back