19" vs 21" Tires: Ride Quality/Range Difference

All the Lucid wheels are cast except for the 21" Dream Edition wheels, which are forged. A couple of years ago I was told at a Design Studio that all their wheels were forged, which I know not to be the case. I suspect the confusion arose from some marketing terms in the wheel industry, such as "forge casting" or "flow forming", which refer to various forms of pressure casting which produce some of the strength of forging over the traditional gravity casting methods used on cheaper wheels.

A Swedish company, The New Aero, makes forged 21" aero wheels for Tesla which will also fit the Lucid Air. However, those wheels also weigh over 35 pounds. I agree that is heavy, and that is for a true forged wheel. I'm wondering if these wheels are beefier for a given size in order to cope with the high weight of EVs?
That is exactly opposite what the tech told me on his visit to my house last Monday. We were talking about the wheel issues and I mentioned the 21's I have on my GT being cast and he said I was wrong and that my wheels were forged. He said something about seeing the wheels when he has taken them off to replace the tires. So, I wonder what the real story is?

That is exactly opposite what the tech told me on his visit to my house last Monday. We were talking about the wheel issues and I mentioned the 21's I have on my GT being cast and he said I was wrong and that my wheels were forged. He said something about seeing the wheels when he has taken them off to replace the tires. So, I wonder what the real story is?
I think my GT wheels are cast because they weighed in at 37-38 lbs per wheel whereas the forged monoblocks I replaced them with came in at 22-23 lbs per wheel. From what I understand, in order to make a high quality cast wheel strong enough then a lot of additional weight needs to be used to compensate for the inherent porosity versus a forged wheel which is compressed at high pressure thus eliminating or minimizing porosity.

Well, I guess my tech was not quite accurate.

Is it okay to ride on an unpaved path with 21"? In the use cases of going to a trail head in some places there will be unpaved roads. hence asking.
You'll be fine. It will be bumpy and you will feel it, ride slow and steady. Avoid potholes they will be your enemy!

Ok, I scanned this and other discussions and can’t seem to find which exact OEM tire the 19” wheels include. Oh wise owners….help?

Ok, I scanned this and other discussions and can’t seem to find which exact OEM tire the 19” wheels include. Oh wise owners….help?
Ask and you shall recieve...

19 close up.jpeg

Pirelli (sp) only 20" come in Michelin.

Thanks! 245/45/19? Hard to read with the tire shine.

i'm thinking about swapping my 21" with a set of 19" before December. i have never swapped wheels on any of my cars before so complete newbie there. i don't really like the looks of OEM 19" wheels so i thought i'll look at some alternatives but most online stores i went to, don't even have any options for Lucid wheels (Costco tires, discount tires, tirerack) although they show options for tires. has anyone swapped their 21" wheels with non-OEM 19"?

i'm thinking about swapping my 21" with a set of 19" before December. i have never swapped wheels on any of my cars before so complete newbie there. i don't really like the looks of OEM 19" wheels so i thought i'll look at some alternatives but most online stores i went to, don't even have any options for Lucid wheels (Costco tires, discount tires, tirerack) although they show options for tires. has anyone swapped their 21" wheels with non-OEM 19"?
There have been few attempts at swapping to non-oem at this point. Would be a great stickied topic for this forum, but you will need to account for the following:

-Bolt pattern (iirc, 5x120 on Air)
-Hub bore (this has yet to be confirmed online from my reading online, but can be overcome with hub rings)
-Diameter + width (would suggest keeping same as the factory 19" size)
-Tire size + load rating (would suggest keeping same as factory 19" size)
-Offset and brake caliper clearance
-TPMS sensors

You'd then need to have the TPMS programmed to the car and the tire size programmed. Lucid mobile service can do this. This sounds daunting but is far easier than one would imagine.
If anyone is enterprising enough to get the above information, I'd be happy to help vet out options, I've got lots of wheel / tire experience.

There have been few attempts at swapping to non-oem at this point. Would be a great stickied topic for this forum, but you will need to account for the following:

-Bolt pattern (iirc, 5x120 on Air)
-Hub bore (this has yet to be confirmed online from my reading online, but can be overcome with hub rings)
-Diameter + width (would suggest keeping same as the factory 19" size)
-Tire size + load rating (would suggest keeping same as factory 19" size)
-Offset and brake caliper clearance
-TPMS sensors

You'd then need to have the TPMS programmed to the car and the tire size programmed. Lucid mobile service can do this. This sounds daunting but is far easier than one would imagine.
If anyone is enterprising enough to get the above information, I'd be happy to help vet out options, I've got lots of wheel / tire experience.
Do you happen to know the frequency of the TPMS sensors?

TireRack shows it as a common 433mhz, but I haven't confirmed independent of that.
Thanks. On Monday Tirerack didn't provide any results. I should have checked again yesterday.

The increase in stopping distance with the 19" tire is due in large part to the smaller area of contact with the ground, less friction equals longer stopping distances than the 21" tires.
I do not understand the “smaller contact area”?
Are the 21” wider as the od is the same.

Back