10K or more on your Lucid? Post your experience here...

That explains some things, I've noticed fob works better when I approach car from the sides than the front.
I find the back right is the worst spot. A front/driver's side approach works best.

Also, the location may explain why it has only happened a couple times. I usually keep the key in my right pocket but do put it in my left on occasion. This could be when it loses connection.

Agree on many points and the small bugs like GPS problems as well.

But great review, I'm approaching 10k miles here soon, on 8.5k
Did 5k miles of my own since ownership and its been twenty something days!!!

Love the long drives.

Great insight and writeup, I laughed and completely agree with you about the swerving truck pass at 100 mph 😂

Also for those of you who don't understand how bad the GPS is, I will make a video demonstrating a big problem that's super confusing and causes me to miss my exits many times. I'll post it soon.
Also am making a small guide on front camera distancing and spacing to understand the offset in reality from where the camera tells you that you're only 6 inches away (in reality it's much more). Would be great to calibrate this or set this manually ourselves
A word of thanks to the many people who took time here to write detailed, thoughtful accounts of their +/- 10,000 mile experiences. Lucid Owners has been a very valuable resource for those of us who remain undecided about whether to buy when our number is called, and for me this thread is maybe the best of many, many very good ones

So what does 13 months and 14k miles get you in a Lucid Air?

Absolute bliss and serenity in a car driving experience.

It also gets, in my personal case, 7 service visits, a tire bubble, 3 recalls, and some headache.

Like I said above, I've had my Lucid Air Dream Edition for roughly 13 months. I was DE #33, took the first delivery in Beverly Hills Studio, got my car delivered with software version 1.0.4 and have had ups and downs ever since.

Service

Let's start with the bad or maybe not so good. The 7 service visits. Mind you, that with one of the earliest production cars, there were quite a few problems which have been constantly worked on and improved over the production cycles. No major issues for my personal car, but minor some mechanical, some not, which required the car to be in service for an cumulative extended period of time, roughly 25 days over the course of my ownership period.
Everyone of my service visits/encounters/whatever you want to call it, was stellar. From reports, this is highly dependent on location and staffing, but this is true for any company so YMMV.

Software

Software wise, starting on 1.0.4 was a huge...letdown? A 40 second bootup time was definitely taxing on the patience level, but 20+ software updates later and now we have a plethora of features and fixes that make me very hopeful for what's coming in the future. It's no easy feat to do a complete rewrite of software because it's admitting you screwed up from the beginning, but the UX 2.0 gives me confidence in the company that they can learn from their mistakes and correct them moving forward.

For my personal use, I don't care about CarPlay or Android Auto. I like the UX and it matches the car's luxury but understated luxury point of view. The menus/layout/aesthetic is well thought out and not overly cumbersome. The most used items are within arms reach, are not buried in menus, and not stuck forever. A recent update removed 2 very infrequently used items and replaced them with more useful features. The left panel remains static which is wonderful and I'm looking forward to how they utilize the real estate on the pilot panel in the future, because there is a lot of wasted space. But, it doesn't have to be overly intricate, just a few tweaks and it keeps it VERY user friendly and accessible.

The NAV, works fine for me. Maybe it's the maps in Los Angeles, or how I have good cell service almost everywhere I drive. It's all based on HERE and I have no issues with the NAV after the big NAV update was pushed.

Things I'm still missing or wish I had: Sentry mode, dashcam mode, easy entry/exist, geofenced automatic homelink, customization of the digital gauge cluster, more info regarding consumption/charging statistics.

To be continued....

Hardware

Unparalleled is one word to describe it. There are plenty of people who will say that the Taycan has better driving feel or the Plaid is a faster car off the line, probably all true. This is a purely subjective and personal use case, but the Air is better than either of those 2 cars for me. I get 90% of a Taycan drive experience and 90% of a Plaid acceleration while being bathed in a quite comforting 5 seat sedan which can carry 3 car seats in the back. I've not had problems with normal storage i.e. suitcases, coolers (giant frunk FTW), etc and for a road trip the car is a gem. Comfortable, massaging, heated/cooled seats makes the drive sublime while giving me the freedom to chuck it into a corner when the opportunity arises.

The Air has spoiled me completely and has made me overconfident in my driving ability. The software/traction control and instantaneous torque make me feel like I could be a race car driver, I obviously am not. There's so much confidence the car instills into your driving experience, especially knowing that you can beat 99% of the cars on the road in acceleration and handling, that you just don't need to show off, but when you are challenged, the Air rises to the occasion.

Therapy

The Lucid Air is truly a driver's car. If you are someone who loves to drive, you will not be disappointed. I love, and I mean LOVE, getting behind the wheel in this thing, even after a year. It's calming (in LA traffic) and peaceful and exhilarating and soothing and functional and humbling all at the same time. Throw in the Dolby Atmos sound, which I've barely talked about, and you can truly lose yourself in the car, even just sitting in your garage. Once you get the car, set it up how you like, and just drive, you will understand the feelings and emotions a freaking car can evoke from you. There's an old chinese saying, "Bitterness before the sweet" or in other words, "there are no peaks without the valleys."

So what's the car like? It's a blessing and a reminder of how lucky I am to be in a position where I can write about being an owner and the ownership experience. I'm truly appreciative of the hard work all the employees at Lucid have put in to creating this wonderful machine and experience.

What is easy entry/exit?
Basically the car will adjust seating/wheel positioning to allow you to get into the car easier, then re-adjust them when you're in the car for driving. This especially helps when you like being closer to the wheel when driving... or for low to the ground cars.

What is easy entry/exit?
For folks who set their seats up very close to the steering wheel, it can be difficult to get out of the car without making an adjustment. Easy Entry/Exit is a feature that moves the seat automatically when opening the driver door, so that it is adjusted for entry comfort. Tap on the brake pedal, and the seat automatically moves back to the correct driver's position.

Basically the car will adjust seating/wheel positioning to allow you to get into the car easier, then re-adjust them when you're in the car for driving. This especially helps when you like being closer to the wheel when driving... or for low to the ground cars.
All of our cars have this and it's useful.

Ah yep, for some reason i was thinking some automatic parking thing. Like if you get out of the car it will drive itself into and out of a parking spot.

Hardware

Unparalleled is one word to describe it. There are plenty of people who will say that the Taycan has better driving feel or the Plaid is a faster car off the line, probably all true. This is a purely subjective and personal use case, but the Air is better than either of those 2 cars for me. I get 90% of a Taycan drive experience and 90% of a Plaid acceleration while being bathed in a quite comforting 5 seat sedan which can carry 3 car seats in the back. I've not had problems with normal storage i.e. suitcases, coolers (giant frunk FTW), etc and for a road trip the car is a gem. Comfortable, massaging, heated/cooled seats makes the drive sublime while giving me the freedom to chuck it into a corner when the opportunity arises.

The Air has spoiled me completely and has made me overconfident in my driving ability. The software/traction control and instantaneous torque make me feel like I could be a race car driver, I obviously am not. There's so much confidence the car instills into your driving experience, especially knowing that you can beat 99% of the cars on the road in acceleration and handling, that you just don't need to show off, but when you are challenged, the Air rises to the occasion.

Therapy

The Lucid Air is truly a driver's car. If you are someone who loves to drive, you will not be disappointed. I love, and I mean LOVE, getting behind the wheel in this thing, even after a year. It's calming (in LA traffic) and peaceful and exhilarating and soothing and functional and humbling all at the same time. Throw in the Dolby Atmos sound, which I've barely talked about, and you can truly lose yourself in the car, even just sitting in your garage. Once you get the car, set it up how you like, and just drive, you will understand the feelings and emotions a freaking car can evoke from you. There's an old chinese saying, "Bitterness before the sweet" or in other words, "there are no peaks without the valleys."

So what's the car like? It's a blessing and a reminder of how lucky I am to be in a position where I can write about being an owner and the ownership experience. I'm truly appreciative of the hard work all the employees at Lucid have put in to creating this wonderful machine and experience.
1000% to this. Regardless of personal preferences, what’s always resonated with me in any piece of machinery is if there’s some evidence that the makers wanted to create something special, then I will happily forgive some glitches because the overall vision is compelling. This car has always felt to me like the makers care and are enthusiastic about what they made, not just that “hi this is our version of an electric car” flippant attitude that nearly all other EV makers are doing.

Also helps when drivers with different seat profiles drive. I cannot get in the car when it is in my wife's profile. After I get in it starts change of profile.

Actually big thanks to the early adopters whose feedback made UX 2 much nicer.

For long time owners, have you experienced issues with the front bumper scraping when entering or exiting drive ways? The Air front end has 5.5" of clearance and my current car has 8" and I can run into issues with steep driveways

For long time owners, have you experienced issues with the front bumper scraping when entering or exiting drive ways? The Air front end has 5.5" of clearance and my current car has 8" and I can run into issues with steep driveways
I always use the “enter angled humps” at an angle rule to prevent this.

Yes. It will scrape some driveways if you take them quickly or at a poor angle. So be careful.

Yes and it cost me 3k to flatten the slope on the driveway because I don't think I will remember to enter or exit at an angle always

As far as efficiency goes, I’m slightly less of a hooligan than @Dortreo but do pretend triple digits is the only safe speed at which to pass if the wife and kid aren’t in the car. If the wife and kid are in the car this bonkers laser guided missile of a car turns into an efficiency machine and I usually get 3.8 -4.0 mi/kwh under normal conditions. In winter (recent temps 20-30s), well sorry everyone I’m getting about 2.2 -2.4 mi/kwh. This car takes a big efficiency hit in cold temps. Oh well, don’t care, still love it, and would still pick it over any EV.
ROTFLOL. I love both the description and the wise judgment! 😂

Just to update an old thread: We now have 20K on our Lucid. Since 10K, it’s been in the shop twice:

* Recall on tow hook
* Front ultrasonic sensor failure

We are averaging 3.4 kw/mi, which is far less than the EPA rating of 4.6 kw/mi. But I run the A/C at full-blast and never drive at 55 mph. (Who does that?)

Otherwise, it’s been mechanically trouble-free but with all the usual software gremlins, though nothing that’s detracted from the driving experience. Nowadays, I don’t even think about its issues. I just get in and drive.

And it’s still the best car I’ve ever driven. Ridiculously fun and very comfortable.
B0AC7847-F16D-44D0-A0DE-4859B2BA8595.jpeg

Last edited:
Back