10K or more on your Lucid? Post your experience here...

Dortreo

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
This thread is for owners with at least 10K miles on their car to post their experiences so that others can get an idea of what longer term ownership of the car is like. If you've hit 10K or more, please let the forum know about the good and the bad, including mechanical and software issues, efficiency, and what you like and dislike about the car.

Fair warning: Everything has gone well so far, so this review will be boring.

I received my Lucid at the beginning of May 2022 and just last week passed the 10K mark. Driving has generally been long-distance in the Northeast because (1) the car is a great highway cruiser (My wife calls it my Cadillac. She's not wrong.) and (2) I find excuses to drive it long distances because it's fun.

The car has had a few minor issues but nothing that couldn't be corrected by a tech in my driveway. This included soft close doors that needed to be readjusted, loose weatherstripping around the trunk and wheels, a small puncture in the backseat leather, and... hmm... that's about it. The alignment of the trunk and the rear seems off, so that bugs me every time I think of it, which is generally never. Otherwise, no mechanical issues, no drivetrain issues, no turtle of doom, etc. It's been rock solid.

I've had trouble at one EA charger and found others to be painfully slow, but otherwise it's been good. Then again, I use PlugShare and ABRP when planning out drives, as I have charger anxiety more than range anxiety.

The software sucked until V2.0. Then it sucked less. V2.0 is what Lucid should have launched with but at least it's here now and slowly getting better. No issues with installs of any software until today when my V2.0.36 software read V2.0.35 and the sound cut out until I reset the car. Took 5 minutes.

At 10K miles, I'm averaging 3.4 mi/kWH, which is nowhere near the EPA figure of 4.6. That would be seriously disappointing except that I drive like a possessed idiot and will find any excuse to hit triple digits. (That truck is weaving from side to side! For safety's sake, I must pass it at 100 MPH!) If I wanted 4.6 mi/kWH, I'd have to drive at 55 mph, which is not okay.

The driving experience has been so exceptional that I actually missed driving the Lucid when I was out of town this past week. I'm mainly taking the car out on long drives, and it's the only car that I don't get exhausted driving. I think it's due to an absence of noise and to a decent though not perfect first version of highway assist. Plus, being able to gun it at will keeps the drive fun. The car just makes me smile. Also, the lighting system is ridiculously cool.

So, what do I not like about it so far? Software bugs (like Tidal starting up at random or random sound dropouts). The GPS nav is nowhere near as good as Google Maps. (I miss Apple Car Play.) Alexa is useless. Sirius XM sounds atrocious. Consistent unlocking still seems hit or miss but at least it's faster at being hit or miss. Design-wise, the ground clearance is less than I expected, so that'll be interesting when winter really sets in. I think the backseat space is almost too big and could have been better designed to be special rather than just cavernous. I also hate the center console. Aside from the nice sliding wood, it feels cheap. And the single wireless charger is needlessly small, but hey, at least it matches the size of the miniaturized cupholders. And the USB ports not being data-enabled is simply weird. Who does that?

But the Lucid is a car and not an entertainment device. And as a car, it's an amazing achievement: Efficient enough not to worry about electrons. Stupidly, stupidly fast but not just straight line fast (Did I mention it's fast?) but fun to toss around curves and to launch up hills like a portable private roller coaster. (My buddy thinks the Lucid is more like flying than driving, so he's always asking me how my flight was.) It's spacious inside with plenty of room for cargo, including a usable frunk that easily holds a 22# spatchcocked turkey. And a trunk that easily holds two bodies. (Whoops! TMI...) Plus, my dog really likes it. That backseat is her domain.

So, yeah, it's been great so far. I hope that this continues and I don't get visited by the Turtle of Doom as a comeuppance for being enthusiastic about the car. And I hope the company survives production and delivery hell so that I can continue to get service & swag. (I have three Lucid water bottles so far. Which is great, as they're the only things that fit in the cupholders.)

This thread is for owners with at least 10K miles on their car to post their experiences so that others can get an idea of what longer term ownership of the car is like. If you've hit 10K or more, please let the forum know about the good and the bad, including mechanical and software issues, efficiency, and what you like and dislike about the car.

I received my Lucid at the beginning of May 2022 and just last week passed the 10K mark. Driving has generally been long-distance in the Northeast because (1) the car is a great highway cruiser (My wife calls it my Cadillac. She's not wrong.) and (2) I find excuses to drive it long distances because it's fun.

The car has had a few minor issues but nothing that couldn't be corrected by a tech in my driveway. This included soft close doors that needed to be readjusted, loose weatherstripping around the trunk and wheels, a small puncture in the backseat leather, and... hmm... that's about it. The alignment of the trunk and the rear seems off, so that bugs me every time I think of it, which is generally never. Otherwise, no mechanical issues, no drivetrain issues, no turtle of doom, etc. It's been rock solid.

I've had trouble at one EA charger and found others to be painfully slow, but otherwise it's been good. Then again, I use PlugShare and ABRP when planning out drives, as I have charger anxiety more than range anxiety.

The software sucked until V2.0. Then it sucked less. V2.0 is what Lucid should have launched with but at least it's here now and slowly getting better. No issues with installs of any software until today when my V2.0.36 software read V2.0.35 and the sound cut out until I reset the car. Took 5 minutes.

At 10K miles, I'm averaging 3.4 mi/kWH, which is nowhere near the EPA figure of 4.6. That would be seriously disappointing except that I drive like a possessed idiot and will find any excuse to hit triple digits. (That truck is weaving from side to side! For safety's sake, I must pass it at 100 MPH!) If I wanted 4.6 mi/kWH, I'd have to drive at 55 mph, which is not okay.

The driving experience has been so exceptional that I actually missed driving the Lucid when I was out of town this past week. I'm mainly taking the car out on long drives, and it's the only car that I don't get exhausted driving. I think it's due to an absence of noise and to a decent though not perfect first version of highway assist. Plus, being able to gun it at will keeps the drive fun. The car just makes me smile. Also, the lighting system is ridiculously cool.

So, what do I not like about it so far? Software bugs (like Tidal starting up at random or random sound dropouts). The GPS nav is nowhere near as good as Google Maps. (I miss Apple Car Play.) Alexa is useless. Sirius XM sounds atrocious. Consistent unlocking still seems hit or miss but at least it's faster at being hit or miss. Design-wise, the ground clearance is less than I expected, so that'll be interesting when winter really sets in. I think the backseat space is almost too big and could have been better designed to be special rather than just cavernous. I also hate the center console. Aside from the nice sliding wood, it feels cheap. And the single wireless charger is needlessly small, but hey, at least it matches the size of the miniaturized cupholders. And the USB ports not being data-enabled is simply weird. Who does that?

But the Lucid is a car and not an entertainment device. And as a car, it's an amazing achievement: Efficient enough not to worry about electrons. Stupidly, stupidly fast but not just straight line fast (Did I mention it's fast?) but fun to toss around curves and to launch up hills like a portable private roller coaster. (My buddy thinks the Lucid is more like flying than driving, so he's always asking me how my flight was.) It's spacious inside with plenty of room for cargo, including a usable frunk that easily holds a 22# spatchcocked turkey. And a trunk that easily holds two bodies. (Whoops! TMI...) Plus, my dog really likes it. That backseat is her domain.

So, yeah, it's been great so far. I hope that this continues and I don't get visited by the Turtle of Doom as a comeuppance for being enthusiastic about the car. And I hope the company survives production and delivery hell so that I can continue to get service & swag. (I have three Lucid water bottles so far. Which is great, as they're the only things that fit in the cupholders.)
Agree on many points and the small bugs like GPS problems as well.

But great review, I'm approaching 10k miles here soon, on 8.5k
Did 5k miles of my own since ownership and its been twenty something days!!!

Love the long drives.

Great insight and writeup, I laughed and completely agree with you about the swerving truck pass at 100 mph 😂

Also for those of you who don't understand how bad the GPS is, I will make a video demonstrating a big problem that's super confusing and causes me to miss my exits many times. I'll post it soon.
Also am making a small guide on front camera distancing and spacing to understand the offset in reality from where the camera tells you that you're only 6 inches away (in reality it's much more). Would be great to calibrate this or set this manually ourselves

11,600 miles on mine.

All of what @Dortreo said matches my experiences.

Service:
Service visit 1: road force rebalance front right tire due to vibration above 35mph, solved problem. Visit 1A: two days after visit 1, spend 3 days investigating rear cabin water leak I either somehow caused myself or was caused by soft close door catching the seatbelt while closing during a massive rainstorm, no problem found.

Service visit 2: replace misaligned rocker panel trim that cracked, replace wheel well weather stripping, replace brake light cover that had warped, fixed left rear passenger control for window, reset navigation location.

Scary events that didn’t need service:
-Reduced power mode at around 1K miles, resolved itself in 5 minutes after I repeatedly floored the accelerator, never had one problem with power since.
-Car rolled backwards on an incline when trying to drive forward, fixed by software OTA.

Charging events
-I cannot charge at any of the stalls at my local EA since mid October, which are crappy older ABB units that many other drivers have issues with. Every other location EA has either worked for me, or if it didn’t it didn’t work for other drivers. It authenticates but then quits charging after 2 seconds.

Unlike @Dortreo I’m actually pretty satisfied with the navigation and have used it without too much struggle on every road trip so far. I love the satellite view and using the large pilot panel to input destinations and view routes/add waypoints. I only use Alexa to say “Alexa play NPR news”, I’ve found that all voice recognition systems suck to the point where I turn green, my purple shorts rip and I smash things.

As far as efficiency goes, I’m slightly less of a hooligan than @Dortreo but do pretend triple digits is the only safe speed at which to pass if the wife and kid aren’t in the car. If the wife and kid are in the car this bonkers laser guided missile of a car turns into an efficiency machine and I usually get 3.8 -4.0 mi/kwh under normal conditions. In winter (recent temps 20-30s), well sorry everyone I’m getting about 2.2 -2.4 mi/kwh. This car takes a big efficiency hit in cold temps. Oh well, don’t care, still love it, and would still pick it over any EV.

Software? See above. I’ve been lucky though, Tidal almost never has an issue for me lately. Like I can’t remember the last time it broke. Had total loss of audio once, cured by reboot. And yep, cup holders are too small and in the wrong place, USB charging cable spot is impossible to access. And that’s where my complaints end. For service this car has been more reliable than my prior car (Mercedes AMG a class) at a similar number of miles, and also more reliable than my wife’s Subaru which had a brake booster and master cylinder failure. It’s driver assist functions are better than any other car I’ve owned. Love the mirror cameras on the dash which have saved me from accidents, love the massage seats, love the heated seats, love the steering wheel, love the frunk/trunk.

Here’s the key thing. I miss the car when I haven’t driven it in more than a couple days. It’s like a therapy session. After a bad day it calms me down, and after a good day it makes me want to have fun. And as @Dortreo already said, it’s the best thing I’ve ever drive for long drives. I’ve taken identical trips in other cars and got out feeling exhausted. With this car I get out feeling like I was just teleported and no time has passed. There’s something about this car that just removes the stress of exterior influences whether it’s traffic, weather, or whatever. I’ll even find myself purposefully taking LONGER routes to go where I’m going. I’m very much looking forward to whatever Lucid comes up with because this “starting point” as a car is already better than almost anything.

Here’s the key thing. I miss the car when I haven’t driven it in more than a couple days. It’s like a therapy session. After a bad day it calms me down, and after a good day it makes me want to have fun. And as @Dortreo already said, it’s the best thing I’ve ever drive for long drives. I’ve taken identical trips in other cars and got out feeling exhausted. With this car I get out feeling like I was just teleported and no time has passed. There’s something about this car that just removes the stress of exterior influences whether it’s traffic, weather, or whatever. I’ll even find myself purposefully taking LONGER routes to go where I’m going. I’m very much looking forward to whatever Lucid comes up with because this “starting point” as a car is already better than almost anything.

I just watched another interview with Peter. He absolutely has his heart in the right place. You can see the purity of his vision.

we few we happy few

usable frunk that easily holds a 22# spatchcocked turkey
Again, like "competitive back seat", this is some grade A marketing! Lucid really needs to start paying for the creativity in this forum lol

Great write up! Glad your experiences have been so enjoyable! Can't wait to have my own!

Here’s Lucid’s next marketing pic:

0947747c-e251-492a-936b-2a6a6c547ae5-jpeg.7021

https://lucidowners.com/threads/share-your-best-pic.2570/post-88922

@Dortreo excellent write up!

I am at 13,111 miles. I must say this is the best driving car I have ever owned. Also the most comfortable car. I have not had any hardware issues that could not be easily remedied with a Mobile Van visit! The same as others the software is a huge improvement from delivery in June, but I am looking forward to future improvements. Whichever third party company they use for the GPS data needs to verify some one-way streets. I was also sent 22 minutes out of the way to a destination. I fault the data and third party, not Lucid on this.

Its a driver's car, so please add:
  • USB wired connection, car has no satellite so I should be able to use my own hardwired music player.
  • A little softer center armrest
  • Ability to call someone who just texted you with one button after listening to it, if it does this please tell me how.
  • Display SoC in miles and percentage simultaneously.
  • Bring back display of mi/kwH

I'm at around 11,500 miles - picked up the car at the end of March. I love EVs but have never been a crazy car person before. This car has made me a crazy car person. It is meant to be driven and gives joy when doing so. I freaking love it, to the point that my family thinks I'm bonkers. We've been on 2 trips overseas and I've tried to schedule picking up my car on the way home from the airport - that is how much I want to drive it. Sadly, Christopher has thwarted me each time by bringing my car home and parking it in my garage for me before I get home. The nerve! ;)

I've had a couple small issues - the frunk had some opening issues off the bat, but they kept at it until it was fixed. They also replaced my creaky steering wheel at the same time. I got a "front left light malfunction" error every once in a while (light still worked), so they checked the wiring on that when I was gone and it hasn't been back since. I've had zero issuss that affect my daily driving or have stranded me anywhere - even for a short period of time. Hopefully this post will not jinx that. Service themselves have been stellar and always responsive.

For me, I don't understand all these software complaints. Maybe because I lived through Windows 95? I have a 2013 Model S and the software issues I lived with for years on that jalopy make the Lucid seem almost bug free (and thankfully it doesn't blast hot air at you). The music does pop on its own, but I live and drive through many dead spots, so I live with it by turning the volume down.

I have had 1 EA issue with it charging super slow, though that could be on EA. The fob batteries died often in the beginning, but that has been fixed. I like the Nav system - it was the only thing I was worried about before I got my car and it has been fine. Live traffic has a bit of a lag, but time to arrive is usually spot on.

Efficiency is great. My lifetime average in my Model S is 2.1. In this car it is 4.0. Sadly, colder weather has brought my current numbers to the high 3s, but it doesn't matter. I jump in the car and don't think about how many miles I have left. I've only worried once when I had forgotten to charge and had only 150 miles on the car and had to drive 4 kids over the mountains on a 100 mi round trip to a volleyball game, but even then I needn't have worried.

As an EV lover, it gives you all the satisfaction of an EV (fast, powerful, fun) in a beautiful and extremely comfortable package. I don't worry about the future of the company or the stock price. I wonder when I'm going on my next drive.

I'm at around 11,500 miles - picked up the car at the end of March. I love EVs but have never been a crazy car person before. This car has made me a crazy car person. It is meant to be driven and gives joy when doing so. I freaking love it, to the point that my family thinks I'm bonkers. We've been on 2 trips overseas and I've tried to schedule picking up my car on the way home from the airport - that is how much I want to drive it. Sadly, Christopher has thwarted me each time by bringing my car home and parking it in my garage for me before I get home. The nerve! ;)

I've had a couple small issues - the frunk had some opening issues off the bat, but they kept at it until it was fixed. They also replaced my creaky steering wheel at the same time. I got a "front left light malfunction" error every once in a while (light still worked), so they checked the wiring on that when I was gone and it hasn't been back since. I've had zero issuss that affect my daily driving or have stranded me anywhere - even for a short period of time. Hopefully this post will not jinx that. Service themselves have been stellar and always responsive.

For me, I don't understand all these software complaints. Maybe because I lived through Windows 95? I have a 2013 Model S and the software issues I lived with for years on that jalopy make the Lucid seem almost bug free (and thankfully it doesn't blast hot air at you). The music does pop on its own, but I live and drive through many dead spots, so I live with it by turning the volume down.

I have had 1 EA issue with it charging super slow, though that could be on EA. The fob batteries died often in the beginning, but that has been fixed. I like the Nav system - it was the only thing I was worried about before I got my car and it has been fine. Live traffic has a bit of a lag, but time to arrive is usually spot on.

Efficiency is great. My lifetime average in my Model S is 2.1. In this car it is 4.0. Sadly, colder weather has brought my current numbers to the high 3s, but it doesn't matter. I jump in the car and don't think about how many miles I have left. I've only worried once when I had forgotten to charge and had only 150 miles on the car and had to drive 4 kids over the mountains on a 100 mi round trip to a volleyball game, but even then I needn't have worried.

As an EV lover, it gives you all the satisfaction of an EV (fast, powerful, fun) in a beautiful and extremely comfortable package. I don't worry about the future of the company or the stock price. I wonder when I'm going on my next drive.

Windows 95, how about Windows 3.11

I should have kept that computer had monochrome screen

Not much to add...

I’m close to 10k and wondering how long my 21” wheels will last. I’m above 8k in miles right now.

The software was horrific until 2.xxx updates came through. The camera software is still painful and the car desperately needs CarPlay and Android Auto to accommodate for the overall needs of the driver and lack of beyond acceptable software at this point. I recently saw a Lamborghini with a digital instant always on rear view mirror and considered seeing how simple it would be to mod mine to have it. I’m hoping Lucid will eventually get to the point where they can focus on more luxury software features like enter/exit seat/wheel adjustments. Not having easy access to my podcasts/Apple Music/apple maps has been a nuance that I’m not fond of coming from almost every other EV I’ve owned to date.

My biggest issue with the car has hands down been customer service. Lack of responses, indefinite repair time frames and what appears to be a lack of care for the customer has tainted my experience here. Once Lucid produces the Pure (soon) and actually scales deliveries, I’m watching if this degrades or improves. If it doesn’t improve, it may lead me into a different direction with my next vehicle. When an issue has been addressed, thankfully it HAS been addressed on my end. Recently, I have had trim peaces falling off the top back wheels that I have not heard back from customer service on yet (my #1 issue).

On the positive note, I almost have no regrets with the car beyond customer service and software issues. Everything has been extremely pleasurable from a drive perspective. More so than any of my other EVs. I’ve received more compliments and conversations on this vehicle than I ever did in the early Tesla days, or my Porsche when the Taycan released. It’s been phenomenal. Driving is extremely sporty, and although I didn’t splurge on the AGT-P and have the AGT, it’s far more than enough power/performance wise to do what I want. I hug the ground when I drive and feel full control.

I think I was the first in the forums to also remove the sun visors. This is the way. Hoping Lucid will lean into improving on that area in the future as it feels extremely half baked. Removing them made a world of difference experience and enjoyment wise for me.

On the note of exit/entry though, if a revision comes down the line (Or when the cheaper than Pure model enters the fray), as much as I like sporty cars the pillar arrangements do cause issues for all ages getting in/out of the back seats. That’s one large feedback item I wish would be addressed.

Issues I’ve hit so far: Turtle mode on delivery (oil was wrong in my motor), trim issues on side (they came and replaced it… with 3mm tape which apparently holds it on), trim below wheel, 1 21” tire blew out, front latch wasn’t latching closed via electronic close, squeaky wheel.

To put this into perspective:

2013 Model S issues: Dead MCU unit, Oil Leak (yup), all 4 door handles broke over time, charge port broken 3 times, trim issues, rear passenger window dropped driving on the highway, bad center console installation

2021 Taycan issues: none…

2022 580 EQS issues: Trim issues on rear pillar air vents, faulty fan in the overhead unit

Last edited:
I’m close to 10k and wondering how long my 21” wheels will last. I’m above 8k in miles right now.

The software was horrific until 2.xxx updates came through. The camera software is still painful and the car desperately needs CarPlay and Android Auto to accommodate for the overall needs of the driver and lack of beyond acceptable software at this point. I recently saw a Lamborghini with a digital instant always on rear view mirror and considered seeing how simple it would be to mod mine to have it. I’m hoping Lucid will eventually get to the point where they can focus on more luxury software features like enter/exit seat/wheel adjustments. Not having easy access to my podcasts/Apple Music/apple maps has been a nuance that I’m not fond of coming from almost every other EV I’ve owned to date.

My biggest issue with the car has hands down been customer service. Lack of responses, indefinite repair time frames and what appears to be a lack of care for the customer has tainted my experience here. Once Lucid produces the Pure (soon) and actually scales deliveries, I’m watching if this degrades or improves. If it doesn’t improve, it may lead me into a different direction with my next vehicle. When an issue has been addressed, thankfully it HAS been addressed on my end. Recently, I have had trim peaces falling off the top back wheels that I have not heard back from customer service on yet (my #1 issue).

On the positive note, I almost have no regrets with the car beyond customer service and software issues. Everything has been extremely pleasurable from a drive perspective. More so than any of my other EVs. I’ve received more compliments and conversations on this vehicle than I ever did in the early Tesla days, or my Porsche when the Taycan released. It’s been phenomenal. Driving is extremely sporty, and although I didn’t splurge on the AGT-P and have the AGT, it’s far more than enough power/performance wise to do what I want. I hug the ground when I drive and feel full control.

I think I was the first in the forums to also remove the sun visors. This is the way. Hoping Lucid will lean into improving on that area in the future as it feels extremely half baked. Removing them made a world of difference experience and enjoyment wise for me.

On the note of exit/entry though, if a revision comes down the line (Or when the cheaper than Pure model enters the fray), as much as I like sporty cars the pillar arrangements do cause issues for all ages getting in/out of the back seats. That’s one large feedback item I wish would be addressed.

Issues I’ve hit so far: Turtle mode on delivery (oil was wrong in my motor), trim issues on side (they came and replaced it… with 3mm tape which apparently holds it on), trim below wheel, 1 21” tire blew out, front latch wasn’t latching closed via electronic close, squeaky wheel.

2013 Model S issues: Dead MCU unit, Oil Leak (yup), all 4 door handles broke over time, charge port broken 3 times, trim issues, rear passenger window dropped driving on the highway, bad center console installation

2022 580 EQS issues: Trim issues on rear pillar air vents, faulty fan in the overhead unit
To follow up on the efficiency comments,

2.9 mi/kWh has been my very consistent average. I’ve historically always been on Smooth but recently started changing to Sprint because I like the feel better and it doesn’t seem to impact my efficiency at all. My best has been between 3.4-3.6 and this was briefly when driving down the Florida Keys. 2.8-3.1 is my typically range and frankly, I’m a pretty darn well behaved driver.

This vehicle basically has the same drag coef and battery size as the 580 EQS. Not sure why I expected something magical optimization wise, but I’ve rejected any notion of that existing. This basically gets the same average 320-340 miles on a single charge with 21” wheels my EQS was getting driving the same in pretty much everywhere across the East I’ve driven with both. I’m honestly not impressed considering what’s been advertised, but I’m also not dissatisfied as it’s the sweet spot range for an EV.

I will note the EQS hit closer to the higher range values more than my AGT, but this maybe due to optimizations around speed output and overall HP differences.

**also** Forgot to mention my sunroof on the Model S broke from Florida weather wear and tear and cheap plastic parts Tesla used…

Last edited:

You're kidding.

Where are you located? Service in the Boston area has been quite responsive, but honestly, I haven't needed them for a while, so I haven't checked lately. I still have the recall tow hook thing to do but am putting that off until the new regional service center opens up.

You're kidding.

Where are you located? Service in the Boston area has been quite responsive, but honestly, I haven't needed them for a while, so I haven't checked lately. I still have the recall tow hook thing to do but am putting that off until the new regional service center opens up.

I’m in Florida and served by the Riviera Beach service center. Talking to others in the forums basically indicated that our service center is the short straw of the bunch unfortunately.

Got my Dream P back in Jan’22, so it is just about ~1yr of ownership, and hitting close to 16,000mi. If I must summarize my experience so far in one sentence, then it shall be: “I love my Air Dream!!”. If I need to elaborate a bit more, then:

Pro:
  • Driving Dynamics: Silky smooth, whether it’s 15mph in the parking lot, or triple-digits on the I-5, at any speed, I always feel in control, firmly rooted, solid and composed. and at any speed, I can step on the accelerator and have it punch up another 15mph without hesitation. The steering is precise and predictable, the corning is confident. The car glides on highway, hard to explain the feeling.
  • Sound Immersion: I don’t care about XM, and I have had a hard time finding Atmos tracks I liked in Tidal, I am all Spotify. The weekly updated playlist is what I listen to the most. When I am alone, I turn up the volume, and lose myself in the music, I really don’t know a better way to calm myself than the stereo system of Air. The music surrounds me, rich base, and crisp vocal.
  • The Looks: after about 16,000 miles, I still find myself doing double-take of the car as I depart from it. And even after a year, people still gawking at the Air at stoplights, and approach me to ask about the car.
  • Range: never had range anxiety, 20 mins at EA, all good to go! Over the past ~16,000 miles, I average 2.8mi/kWh, and did I mention I frequently do triple-digits spirited driving?
  • Quietness: no rattle, no squeaking (after the steering wheel replacement, see Cons below), I have a thing against noise, drives me nuts, and the Air delivers. The electric motor whining sound, I actually like it, a bit of “engine” feedback, I don’t mind it.

Con:
  • The 1.x firmware was rough, waiting 10-30 secs for the car to boot, NAV / music switching lag. 2.x firmware fixed all that. Can’t believe I tolerated the 1.x for 10 months!
  • NAV even after 2.x firmware is still mediocre, love the color scheme of the map, but really wish Lucid would use Google map. Turn-by-turn directions is always bit late. And after 2.x update, my NAV got stuck somewhere off the coast of Ghana once, self-healed, then got stuck in Lucid HQ, self-healed again, and stuck at HQ again. Still stuck even today. Need to go to the service and have the module rebooted.
  • NAV not working is a nuisance, but it also disabled the Highway Assist (no GPS fencing, the hwy assist won’t turn on), and it won’t pop up the screen for me to open my garage when I approach home. Very inconvenient.
  • Build Quality: over the 11 months of ownership, I have had the trunk lid gasket replaced twice, steering wheel replaced due to the Rice-Krispies-snap-crackle-pop sound when I apply pressure on the wheel, Millbrae replaced the wheel, and now it is solid, LOVE IT!!
  • Wind Noise: I did notice a bit of wind noise in the front wind-shield, short of a low frequency whistling sound when I go above 80mph. Tried to have the service look at it, but the SA are not allowed to drive above 65mph, haha, so I will live with it.

Bottomline:
  • Still wish Lucid can utilize the Pilot screen more, make it independent, fully utilize the screen’s real estate.
  • Don’t care about Apple CarPlay
  • I wish the mobile key is more reliable, it seems to misbehave after every firmware update.
  • Wishing for Audible native app
  • Wishing for customize all-weather doormat, my white original doormat is holding up fairly well, but all the rain is tearing me apart.
  • The after-sale service is top-notch. Sure, they are getting more busy as more Lucid are being delivered, but every interaction with the Service Advisor has been pleasant.
  • I travel a lot, at least a week in a month, I miss the Air when I am away. Whenever I return from my trip, I always find some excuse to take the Air out for “errand”, getting not-so-needed toothpaste, or get it not-so-needed charge at EA.
  • All my other cars, Range Rover, Escalade, BMW & S-Class are collecting dust. The S-Class is having its batteries changed tomorrow due to the lack of driving.
  • The Highway Assist is nice, but I really don’t care about it neither. Such a driver car, I find no need to have the computer drive it for me.

Last edited:
Got my Dream P back in Jan’22, so it is just about ~1yr of ownership, and hitting close to 16,000mi. If I must summarize my experience so far in one sentence, then it shall be: “I love my Air Dream!!”. If I need to elaborate a bit more, then:

Pro:
  • Driving Dynamics: Silky smooth, whether it’s 15mph in the parking lot, or triple-digits on the I-5, at any speed, I always feel in control, firmly rooted, solid and composed. and at any speed, I can step on the accelerator and have it punch up another 15mph without hesitation. The steering is precise and predictable, the corning is confident. The car glides on highway, hard to explain the feeling.
  • Sound Immersion: I don’t care about XM, and I have had a hard time finding Atmos tracks I liked in Tidal, I am all Spotify. The weekly updated playlist is what I listen to the most. When I am alone, I turn up the volume, and lose myself in the music, I really don’t know a better way to calm myself than the stereo system of Air. The music surrounds me, rich base, and crisp vocal.
  • The Looks: after about 16,000 miles, I still find myself doing double-take of the car as I depart from it. And even after a year, people still gawking at the Air at stoplights, and approach me to ask about the car.
  • Range: never had range anxiety, 20 mins at EA, all good to go! Over the past ~16,000 miles, I average 2.8mi/kWh, and did I mention I frequently do triple-digits spirited driving?
  • Quietness: no rattle, no squeaking (after the steering wheel replacement, see Cons below), I have a thing against noise, drives me nuts, and the Air delivers. The electric motor whining sound, I actually like it, a bit of “engine” feedback, I don’t mind it.

Con:
  • The 1.x firmware was rough, waiting 10-30 secs for the car to boot, NAV / music switching lag. 2.x firmware fixed all that. Can’t believe I tolerated the 1.x for 10 months!
  • NAV even after 2.x firmware is still mediocre, love the color scheme of the map, but really wish Lucid would use Google map. Turn-by-turn directions is always bit late. And after 2.x update, my NAV got stuck somewhere off the coast of Ghana once, self-healed, then got stuck in Lucid HQ, self-healed again, and stuck at HQ again. Still stuck even today. Need to go to the service and have the module rebooted.
  • NAV not working is a nuisance, but it also disabled the Highway Assist (no GPS fencing, the hwy assist won’t turn on), and it won’t pop up the screen for me to open my garage when I approach home. Very inconvenient.
  • Build Quality: over the 11 months of ownership, I have had the trunk lid gasket replaced twice, steering wheel replaced due to the Rice-Krispies-snap-crackle-pop sound when I apply pressure on the wheel, Millbrae replaced the wheel, and now it is solid, LOVE IT!!
  • Wind Noise: I did notice a bit of wind noise in the front wind-shield, short of a low frequency whistling sound when I go above 80mph. Tried to have the service look at it, but the SA are not allowed to drive above 65mph, haha, so I will live with it.

Bottomline:
  • Still wish Lucid can utilize the Pilot screen more, make it independent, fully utilize the screen’s real estate.
  • Don’t care about Apple CarPlay
  • I wish the mobile key is more reliable, it seems to misbehave after every firmware update.
  • Wishing for Audible native app
  • Wishing for customize all-weather doormat, my white original doormat is holding up fairly well, but all the rain is tearing me apart.
  • The after-sale service is top-notch. Sure, they are getting more busy as more Lucid are being delivered, but every interaction with the Service Advisor has been pleasant.
  • I travel a lot, at least a week in a month, I miss the Air when I am away. Whenever I return from my trip, I always find some excuse to take the Air out for “errand”, getting not-so-needed toothpaste, or get it not-so-needed charge at EA.
  • All my other cars, Range Rover, Escalade, BMW & S-Class are collecting dust. The S-Class is having its batteries changed tomorrow due to the lack of driving.
  • The Highway Assist is nice, but I really don’t care about it neither. Such a driver car, I find no need to have the computer drive it for me.
I have a friend who needs an s class, why not float him one? 😉

. . . the car is a great highway cruiser . . . . I find excuses to drive it long distances because it's fun.

. . . no mechanical issues, no drivetrain issues, no turtle of doom, etc. It's been rock solid.

The software sucked until V2.0. Then it sucked less. V2.0 is what Lucid should have launched with but at least it's here now and slowly getting better. No issues with installs of any software . . . .

At 10K miles, I'm averaging 3.4 mi/kWH, which is nowhere near the EPA figure of 4.6. That would be seriously disappointing except that I drive like a possessed idiot and will find any excuse to hit triple digits.

The GPS nav is nowhere near as good as Google Maps . . . . Alexa is useless . . . . Consistent unlocking still seems hit or miss but at least it's faster at being hit or miss . . . . I also hate the center console. Aside from the nice sliding wood, it feels cheap. And the single wireless charger is needlessly small, but hey, at least it matches the size of the miniaturized cupholders. And the USB ports not being data-enabled is simply weird. Who does that?

But the Lucid is a car and not an entertainment device. And as a car, it's an amazing achievement: Efficient enough not to worry about electrons. Stupidly, stupidly fast but not just straight line fast (Did I mention it's fast?) but fun to toss around curves and to launch up hills like a portable private roller coaster . . . It's spacious inside with plenty of room for cargo . . . .

We have an early-production Dream Edition (No. 154) nearing 12,000 miles on the odometer. I would say everything about the car that Dortreao said in the above quote.

We also have a Tesla Model S Plaid that we got four months before the Lucid. In terms of size, power, and vehicle category (sedan), it is the car to which the Lucid is best compared. (It's also notable that the original versions of both cars were the engineering children -- born a decade apart -- of the same man: Peter Rawlinson.) By every key point of comparison other than 0-60 times, the Air simply blows the Tesla away: handling precision, roadway stability, structural rigidity, ride compliance, interior noise, passenger room, luxury features, assembly quality. Even the Lucid's blazing 0-60 times are more accessible than the Plaid's earth-shattering times, as the Lucid stays much better planted under deep-throttle blasts. (Full-throttle blasts in either car are not something I would recommend other than on a drag strip.)

Once we got the Lucid, it became the default car any time there was going to be more than two people in the car by dint of its much more capacious rear seat. For the first couple of months, any trip with the two of us was preceded by a brief discussion about which car to take. I preferred the Air, but my partner still liked driving the Tesla, so we chose which car to take depending on who was going to drive. But soon enough, those discussions fell by the wayside. If my partner is going somewhere by himself, he still usually takes the Tesla, which has sort of become "his" car. If we're both going, though, we just automatically head for the Air, even if he's driving. It took him a while, but he's finally admitted the Air is the better car all around. (It doesn't help that the Tesla has developed some body squeaks and groans while the Air has stayed solid as a bank vault.)

Right now, it seems Lucid will become our household go-to brand, with plans to replace our Honda Odyssey minivan with the Lucid Gravity in another year or two.

The only dark spot on the horizon right now is the worry that Lucid's service infrastructure is becoming overwhelmed. Where once a call to the nearest Service Center got someone in that Center on the line -- and a very quick repair response -- these days a call to a regional Service Center takes you through several IVR menus, with the call being redirected to the central Customer Service team in California. Once there, you wait on hold for 5-15 minutes for someone to pick up the call. Then, if you need to talk to the regional Service Center, they tell you they will have someone call you back. That callback can take a half day or more, if it comes at all.

I'm particularly annoyed about this right now. I got a letter saying my nearest Service Center was now prepared to begin the tow hook recall work and that I should call to arrange a pick up. I do so, and the car was picked up on November 29. Today is December 16, and the car is still there. As were are planning to leave on a road trip on December 19, I've been getting antsier by the day -- and every attempt to get a status report on the car becomes a full-day effort actually to get someone on the phone. I even had to contact Zak Edson, the VP of Sales & Service, to get a direct phone number for someone who could actually find out the status of the work.

After everything I've said about the Tesla Plaid, it seems that may be the car we have to take on this trip. So I'm a bit pissed at Lucid right now.

Back