1.2.17?

Wow, that's even more times than I've had to reboot the car in a single day (except one of the days on our road trip to North Carolina, come to think of it). Have you already downloaded 1.2.10 or 11? It seems people who have not been reporting software problems have started encountering them after those downloads.

My partner is on a three-day tour around Florida with his family from Poland right now. He took our Honda minivan because the back seat of our Tesla is too cramped for adults on such a trip. I expressed regret that the Lucid was in the shop. He responded that he would not have taken it, anyway, as he did not want to fool with all the software problems and reboots.
Technically I guess I only rebooted twice. The second one didn’t fully reboot so I just did it again (I was charging, which kept it awake, I guess).

Both reboots were for extremely minor things; one was bass dropped out, one was Bluetooth phone calls stopped working.

Minor, but annoying nonetheless. Tesla’s original software was just as bad (on the roadster), and I remember fighting that too.

It just has to get better. I think it will.

Tesla’s original software was just as bad (on the roadster), and I remember fighting that too.

It just has to get better. I think it will.

That's true. But when Tesla entered the market with the Model S, its road performance was so astonishing for the time and its extensive use of software to operate the car so novel that people gave it a huge pass on its shortcomings, including software -- and there is still an overhang of that effect in Tesla's favor among today's fanboys.

Lucid entered a more mature automotive market, where instant torque, astonishing power, and surprising handling for heavy EVs no longer assured instant awe -- and where many cars, including ICEs, were putting a wide array of ever more creative software features into cars.

Against this backdrop, Lucid pulled off a remarkable feat in engineering a car that could still generate awe with new heights of road performance, room, comfort, and range. But it fell flat on its ass on the software front in a market that no longer finds snazzy software features a novelty but rather an expected adjunct of luxury car ownership.

But you are right that it just has to get better. I hope you're right in thinking that it will, because it will be the saddest day of my car-owning life if I have to walk away from the most amazing driving machine I've ever owned.

If Lucid cannot get this software platform stable (i. e., no recurrent screen freezes and blackouts and no need to reboot the car constantly), then no amount of fixing discrete features such as voice command, door opening functions, or Nav system flukes is going to matter.

This car will have been on the market for a year at the end of next month. We can wait for Dream Drive Pro, auto-dimming headlights, predictable responses to voice commands, and other such features. But time is running out to stabilize the platform itself if Lucid doesn't want to go down in flames over these software issues. No amounts of new motors, faster track times, or new models will save them.
I totally agree with you. It is time for Lucid to grow up. You can't be considered a toddler forever.

I totally agree with you. It is time for Lucid to grow up. You can't be considered a toddler forever.
I agree also. I love driving the car, enough that somehow I seem to forget how annoyed I am every morning when I have to go through a crazy button push and wait ritual to get to the garage door opener while backing out of my driveway.

My cousin brought over his EQS AMG the other day. He didn't say a thing bad about the software. Have to admit I was a little jelly - despite knowing my GT is faster and drives better.

If Lucid cannot get this software platform stable (i. e., no recurrent screen freezes and blackouts and no need to reboot the car constantly), then no amount of fixing discrete features such as voice command, door opening functions, or Nav system flukes is going to matter.

This car will have been on the market for a year at the end of next month. We can wait for Dream Drive Pro, auto-dimming headlights, predictable responses to voice commands, and other such features. But time is running out to stabilize the platform itself if Lucid doesn't want to go down in flames over these software issues. No amounts of new motors, faster track times, or new models will save them.
I'm hoping the next major update that was mentioned from the Monterey Car Week thread finally addresses the lagginess and freezing. You're right though, it's taken them a long time to address the stabilization but it sounds like the software needed an entire re-write to use AAOS properly. If that is actually true then it was never going to be a 1 month fix but time is ticking for sure.

It reminds me of when Ford partnered with Microsoft on Ford Sync. That thing was a piece of crap and again, it wasn't the hardware is what shoddy software development. They had to send USB keys out to all owners to update and took 1 to 2 hours to complete.

I agree also. I love driving the car, enough that somehow I seem to forget how annoyed I am every morning when I have to go through a crazy button push and wait ritual to get to the garage door opener while backing out of my driveway.

My cousin brought over his EQS AMG the other day. He didn't say a thing bad about the software. Have to admit I was a little jelly - despite knowing my GT is faster and drives better.
Mercedes has had a very long time to refine it software and hardware that's gone through multiple iterations over the years. When I used it, it's very smooth has alot of features but I still found I was fumbling through multiple menus with things buried deep in the menu system. Tesla and Lucid seem to get you to settings 1 to 3 steps deep but I find on Mercedes, Audi, BMW etc. you can go 1 to 5 or 6 layers deep to change things which is a distraction because you're taking your eyes off the road for a longer period of time.

On another note one day Dream Drive can look like this 😂
No doubt. But it wouldn’t be Dream Drive, it would be Dream Drive Pro which all GTs are fully equipped with. Dream Drive is Level-2 which current is functional as GT will brake for you sensing collision backing up and lane center steering to interfere your driving. Dream Drive Pro is suppose be level 3-4. Currently the partially released as Dream Drive Pro can park for you in parking lot in level-3.

In Houston, we have Dominoe Pizza rolling out level-4 autonomous Pizza delivery. China has several cities rolled out level-4 Robotaxi and so is Waymo in Seattle and Phoenix. All these feat are achieved by expensive LiDAR. While Tesla is trying to iron out their full level-3 with just cameras and in-house software alone, Lucid’s advanced hardware is already there, just not plugged in AI software yet. I’m sure they are testing them somewhere on the road now before they are fully confident of deployment bc liability of level-3 can be a bitch….

No doubt. But it wouldn’t be Dream Drive, it would be Dream Drive Pro which all GTs are fully equipped with. Dream Drive is Level-2 which current is functional as GT will brake for you sensing collision backing up and lane center steering to interfere your driving. Dream Drive Pro is suppose be level 3-4. Currently the partially released as Dream Drive Pro can park for you in parking lot in level-3.

In Houston, we have Dominoe Pizza rolling out level-4 autonomous Pizza delivery. China has several cities rolled out level-4 Robotaxi and so is Waymo in Seattle and Phoenix. All these feat are achieved by expensive LiDAR. While Tesla is trying to iron out their full level-3 with just cameras and in-house software alone, Lucid’s advanced hardware is already there, just not plugged in AI software yet. I’m sure they are testing them somewhere on the road now before they are fully confident of deployment bc liability of level-3 can be a bitch….

Great points. The delivery vans do not need elegant solutions and therefore can mount a bucket on the roof. Passenger Autos will require elegant solutions that mount unobtrusively as wellas can run on very low power but provide i credible level of detail.

This version of Lucid will never go beyond level-2 because the Cepton LiDar Unit and there is only one of them mounted on the front cannot handle it even with Nvidia’s solution. I am sure the next version or the Sapphire could get there but not with Cepton. Time will tell. Biggest hurdle are Government guidelines for level 3-4 as well as devices that can run on low power and do high computing and those will be ASIC Based which require an order in millions of units to be cost effective. There is also a safety requirement because they will need Clss-1 laser certification that they will not hurt people’s eyes of they happen to look directly into it.

The Microvision website has a lot of good education material for any LiDar enthusiast.

I sure hope we can get to where Tesla is today in terms of functionality. The government is working hard to shut down Tesla’s claim of full hands free driving AND it can never be achieved with Camera’s alone But I am sure they will result in better Cameras.

Great points. The delivery vans do not need elegant solutions and therefore can mount a bucket on the roof. Passenger Autos will require elegant solutions that mount unobtrusively as wellas can run on very low power but provide i credible level of detail.

This version of Lucid will never go beyond level-2 because the Cepton LiDar Unit and there is only one of them mounted on the front cannot handle it even with Nvidia’s solution. I am sure the next version or the Sapphire could get there but not with Cepton. Time will tell. Biggest hurdle are Government guidelines for level 3-4 as well as devices that can run on low power and do high computing and those will be ASIC Based which require an order in millions of units to be cost effective. There is also a safety requirement because they will need Clss-1 laser certification that they will not hurt people’s eyes of they happen to look directly into it.

The Microvision website has a lot of good education material for any LiDar enthusiast.

I sure hope we can get to where Tesla is today in terms of functionality. The government is working hard to shut down Tesla’s claim of full hands free driving AND it can never be achieved with Camera’s alone But I am sure they will result in better Cameras.
Lucid uses RoboSense, not Cepton, it would appear.

Also, having used Tesla’s FSD for hours, I feel pretty confident it’s going to be extremely hard if not impossible to do it with vision alone.

With its leading technological strengths in the field of LiDAR, RoboSense has obtained design wins for more than 50 models from companies including Great Wall Motor, BYD, FAW Hongqi, GAC AION, ZEEKR, WM Motor, Lotus Cars, Lucid Motors, Inceptio Technology and Zhito Technology.

Las Vegas Lyft will roll out fleet of Robotaxi by end of this year using Ioniq5 as base mounting LiDAR.

Back