1.2.17 Drop

I received notification while at home in my garage (strong wifi) but installed it at my shop where I park (no wifi). Not sure about that! But when I had them push the 1.2.11 update, they said to make sure I was connected to good wifi. Maybe that just benefits getting the alert? No clue..

A good question here is does the car turn it on and off by itself? I haven't connected my car to the Wi-Fi. Did 1.2.17 this morning.

I have to say what as annoying is that when 1.2.11 was pushed, the car's fan went into full blast as it downloaded and did the update.... no idea why , the fan has to turn on for a firmware download install.. you honestly cant tell me the computer inside the car is so powerful that it needs massive fans to cool down.

A good question here is does the car turn it on and off by itself? I haven't connected my car to the Wi-Fi. Did 1.2.17 this morning.
If you don't connect the car to WiFi then it will just use the cell connection in your car. I've pushed updates to the car in underground parking garages and worked fine.

I have to say what as annoying is that when 1.2.11 was pushed, the car's fan went into full blast as it downloaded and did the update.... no idea why , the fan has to turn on for a firmware download install.. you honestly cant tell me the computer inside the car is so powerful that it needs massive fans to cool down.
I think Lucid has a checklist of:

Run Update - Turn fans to full blast
Slow Charge - Turn fans to full blast
Owner looks at car or sneezes - Turn fans to full blast

It's excessive to say the least. I'm not charging at home at the moment due to it being 100 - 110 outside. The garage has no ventilation whatsoever so the fans running just add more heat to the garage and leaving the door open in this hot weather makes a blind bit of difference. My old e-Tron would blast fans when fast charging but when at home it was quite as a mouse on the slow charger. I raised this with Lucid and was told "It's to protect the battery". I just think its a case of they've rushed the car out and haven't got around to addressing whether the fans are really needed for small tasks \ loads so it's easier to just leave them on for everything the car needs to do.

For the 8 minute install of 1.2.17 the fans ran full bore also..

A lot of the earlier updates did this but this was the only one of the recent updates to blow the fans (that i noticed) so I simply assumed it was needed.

Well, I can say this, all the servers I have been exposed to have variable speed fans which run at full speed during the reboot. So maybe this is part of a "safe mode" that the car has to be in to update?

Back