1.1.6 Thoughts

Jon_Rettinger

Cars
Air Dream P
DE Number
Hey All,

As someone who has been running a beta build of 1.1.6 for a week now I thought I'd share some thoughts and observations. This is the build (or a version of it) that should ship this month that enables Dream Drive. My previous build before this was 1.0.8

- The UI feels WAY faster. Moving between the main screen and AC menu for example is much smoother.
- Bootup is faster but still too long.
- So many bug fixes here. My massage seats used to always time out after a few minutes, this fixed that.
- When you get close to an object it now tells you how many inches away you are depending on what camera pops up (front or rear). I love this. Makes parking easier.
- Reads speed limits very well and is constantly updating. When you exceed the posted limit the speed limit sign on the dash will turn red
- Adaptive cruise works very well and is easy to set and adjust.
- My audible books (or music) no longer autoplay when BT connects. HOORAY!
- Nav now gives you the ability to download state maps for offline use. But still no ability to mute the guidance lady.
- Alexa is still mostly a mess. Can't use it for calls or texts
- No CarPlay in this build

I'm sure I'm missing a ton, but this build is very solid and refined. If this was the shipping software I received with my car I would be happy. They are getting it together and doing it quickly. The future is bright.

If you have a particular question, feel free to ask.

j

Last edited:
Great feedback and thanks. I guess there is still no CarPlay?

I saw you comment about it "autoplaying". How does it handle music generally if you have to use your phone as the source? Do you have to select the source every time you get into the car? Without Sirius/XM, I will probably be using my phone as a source exclusively. Call me "set in my ways", but I have never really worried about my source since satellite radio came along.

I saw you comment about it "autoplaying". How does it handle music generally if you have to use your phone as the source? Do you have to select the source every time you get into the car? Without Sirius/XM, I will probably be using my phone as a source exclusively. Call me "set in my ways", but I have never really worried about my source since satellite radio came along.
I mostly listen to audible in the car but have never had to worry about changing sources. I get in, hit play on my phone and I'm good to go.

- Reads speed limits very well and is constantly updating. When you exceed the posted limit the speed limit sign on the dash will turn red

How does this behave on the freeway? I had to turn it off in my Audi as every time I would pass the truck speed limit sign the car would aggressively anchor the brakes on to get from 70 down to 55.

Holy crap, I do not want my car to follow the speed limit signs, but I do appreciate it telling me what the last one it read said.

How does this behave on the freeway? I had to turn it off in my Audi as every time I would pass the truck speed limit sign the car would aggressively anchor the brakes on to get from 70 down to 55.
Super smooth on freeways.

- The UI feels WAY faster. Moving between the main screen and AC menu for example is much smoother.
- So many bug fixes here. My massage seats used to always time out after a few minutes, this fixed that.
- When you get close to an object it now tells you how many inches away you are depending on what camera pops up (front or rear). I love this. Makes parking easier.
- Nav now gives you the ability to download state maps for offline use. But still no ability to mute the guidance lady.

Great update! Some thoughts:

- UI Speed: Glad to hear this has improved. When I test drove and did my ride-along this was my number 1 complaint. I don't really care for the moving between screens but the lag was a serious issue.
- Bootup time: I'm not holding out much hope for near-term improvements here because optimizing loading is a lot more gnarly to do then fixing UX issues. How long is it usually for you with 1.1.6 though?
- Object distance fix when parking: This is great news. I hadn't seen the problems others talked about but it sounded bad. Is it pretty accurate so far?
- ADAS: How is this for braking/acceleration and lane keeping? I'm really curious here as our Palisade does an excellent job of being smooth with the cruise distance and not suddenly braking. Does it handle speed changes in traffic well?

I'm hoping CarPlay is soon as I generally avoid built-in nav systems. That said, they're improving fast so it may not be an issue when my AGT arrives.

Great update! Some thoughts:

- UI Speed: Glad to hear this has improved. When I test drove and did my ride-along this was my number 1 complaint. I don't really care for the moving between screens but the lag was a serious issue.
- Bootup time: I'm not holding out much hope for near-term improvements here because optimizing loading is a lot more gnarly to do then fixing UX issues. How long is it usually for you with 1.1.6 though?
- Object distance fix when parking: This is great news. I hadn't seen the problems others talked about but it sounded bad. Is it pretty accurate so far?
- ADAS: How is this for braking/acceleration and lane keeping? I'm really curious here as our Palisade does an excellent job of being smooth with the cruise distance and not suddenly braking. Does it handle speed changes in traffic well?

I'm hoping CarPlay is soon as I generally avoid built-in nav systems. That said, they're improving fast so it may not be an issue when my AGT arrives.
It's hard to tell the exact time since the process starts when I walk to the car, but it does feel maybe 10% faster. SUper unscientific, I know.

Seems to be pretty accurate

Does great with breaking and acceleration, very smooth. You need to steer the car though. The autosteer part of DD is not there yet. It does have lane keep assist though that does a nice job nudging you back into your lane.

It's hard to tell the exact time since the process starts when I walk to the car, but it does feel maybe 10% faster. SUper unscientific, I know.

Seems to be pretty accurate

Does great with breaking and acceleration, very smooth. You need to steer the car though. The autosteer part of DD is not there yet. It does have lane keep assist though that does a nice job nudging you back into your lane.

Awesome.

- If booting feels faster then that's something at least. I figure I can wait a few extra seconds for it to load at least if they instead focus on other features for now.
- Yay for object distance. I absolutely don't want to curb a wheel.
- I can wait for auto steer if they nailed the follow distance and braking. Glad it is smooth.

Thanks!

Hey All,

As someone who has been running a beta build of 1.1.6 for a week now I thought I'd share some thoughts and observations. This is the build (or a version of it) that should ship this month that enables Dream Drive. My previous build before this was 1.0.8

I'm sure I'm missing a ton, but this build is very solid and refined. If this was the shipping software I received with my car I would be happy. They are getting it together and doing it quickly. The future is bright.

j
How did you get 1.1.6, it seems it will relieve a portion of my gripes

Traditionally yes, but I think the in built Nav System is going to be critical for a seamless experience in EV's. Google Maps, Apple Maps etc. can't plan a trip without knowing your cars range etc. You'll have to manually add charging stops etc. as the systems (to date) have no integration into the cars range \ efficiency numbers to know if you're going to make it or not.

With in built nav systems they have the upper advantage because they have access to the cars driving performance. Without this, all other mapping systems are best effort.

thanks for the review.

> - Nav now gives you the ability to download state maps for offline use. But still no ability to mute the guidance lady.
can you download an area or more than 1 state at a time? also, does it show live traffic conditions?

thanks for the review.

> - Nav now gives you the ability to download state maps for offline use. But still no ability to mute the guidance lady.
can you download an area or more than 1 state at a time? also, does it show live traffic conditions?
The map has always shown live traffic

My experience is the car uses ~3.8 miles per 1kWh to show range regardless of if my use since the last charge is 1.8 or 2.8 or ….. It would be nice if in addition to average use you could display current (average of last 5-10 minutes) and what range is at that use. The range maps and trip planning seem to be always using 3.8.

Hey All,

j
Once again how did you get this version?

My experience is the car uses ~3.8 miles per 1kWh to show range regardless of if my use since the last charge is 1.8 or 2.8 or ….. It would be nice if in addition to average use you could display current (average of last 5-10 minutes) and what range is at that use. The range maps and trip planning seem to be always using 3.8.
I've been using trip a and trip b to try and figure it out. The range map is cool, but I'm not sure how useful it is.

I was wondering if you can play directly off a usb drive. Wireless connections are so low fidelity. I have been plugging in lossless file thumb drives on my other cars with phenomenal hi fidelity results. 3-400 albums will last you a long time

Back