Why does Lucid included cable only pull 8kW

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
With an EA charger at home the Lucid pulls 9.6kW. ~40 amps. What you would expect on a 50A breaker. With the Lucid cable it is never higher than 8kW. ~33 amps. It seems Lucid has an artificially low cap on the 14-50 plug. Anyone experiencing something different? Why is Lucid limiting draw to 33 amps? It a 20% reduction for no apparent reason. Are they accommodating for a 40 amp breaker?

Could just come down to cost cutting. There are a mix of chargers on the market at different price rates from 8kw to 12kw.

I plugged in at home for the first time last night and I saw 9kw from my 14-50 Nema outlet.

There is the 80% rule where an outlet will only allow 80% of what it’s rated for. So a nema 14-50 240V/50A plug will allow 40A max. If you hardwire the charger you get closer to max. Could that be contributing here?

Edit, Nevermind. I see you already know that.

With an EA charger at home the Lucid pulls 9.6kW. ~40 amps. What you would expect on a 50A breaker. With the Lucid cable it is never higher than 8kW. ~33 amps. It seems Lucid has an artificially low cap on the 14-50 plug. Anyone experiencing something different? Why is Lucid limiting draw to 33 amps? It a 20% reduction for no apparent reason. Are they accommodating for a 40 amp breaker?
I get 9kW when using the Lucid mobile cable.

I suspect the voltage on your 50A circuit with the NEMA 14-50 plug is dropping below 240V reducing the available power. Did you use the EA charger and the Lucid mobile cable on the same circuit. If so, then I am not sure why you would see that difference.

Funny thing that the national electric code allows a 14-50 outlet to be installed on either a 40A or 50A breaker. Some 14-50 mobile charging cable EVSEs deal with this by limiting current to 32A rather than 40A. Doesn't sound like the case here though.

I get 9kW when using the Lucid mobile cable.

I suspect the voltage on your 50A circuit with the NEMA 14-50 plug is dropping below 240V reducing the available power. Did you use the EA charger and the Lucid mobile cable on the same circuit. If so, then I am not sure why you would see that difference.
Same plug at home I consistently get 9.6 kW from the EA home charger and 8kW from the Lucid cable. Also, while on the road plugging into a 50A breaker never got above 8kW with included cable.

Funny thing that the national electric code allows a 14-50 outlet to be installed on either a 40A or 50A breaker. Some 14-50 mobile charging cable EVSEs deal with this by limiting current to 32A rather than 40A. Doesn't sound like the case here though.
That is due to the standard that a circuit load should only be 80% of the max amperage, so if one needs to draw 48A use a 60A breaker.

Same plug at home I consistently get 9.6 kW from the EA home charger and 8kW from the Lucid cable. Also, while on the road plugging into a 50A breaker never got above 8kW with included cable.
I am curious how you see 9.6kW using the EA home charger. When I view charging status in the Lucid App, I only see a whole number without tenths. Are you seeing 9.6kW on the EA charger and not the Lucid app? I believe that the Lucid app is displaying the power coming into the car, the EA may be displaying power at the home charger. What does the Lucid app show when charging using the EA home charger?

I've gotten 8-9 kW. I tried using our old charging cable for my wife's now-sold hybrid and it would only pull 7kW consistently.

Currently and consistently pulling 9kw when charging at home, 50 amp circuit breaker, 14-50 nema plug. .

Back