Wheel Rash aka (Curb Rash)

RAK

Cars
Ordered Lucid Air Touring
If you have had your Lucid Air for a while or if you just got your Lucid Air, you need to know some
things about your wheels and tires. Your tires do not extend out beyond your fancy wheels like lots
of other vehicles, so they don't provide any protection from curb rash. (OUCH$$$) See photos enlarged:
Lucid is on the left.
Your new Lucid has a shorter turning radius than most cars it's size. Turning a corner is something to get
used to without running over the curb with a rear wheel, and it can be very costly. I have done it several times myself
"Damnit". Be careful out there.

Attachments

• PXL_20230523_134640667_2.jpg
    PXL_20230523_134640667_2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 224
  • PXL_20230523_135521884.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230523_135521884.MP.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 212
If you have had your Lucid Air for a while or if you just got your Lucid Air, you need to know some
things about your wheels and tires. Your tires do not extend out beyond your fancy wheels like lots
of other vehicles, so they don't provide any protection from curb rash. (OUCH$$$) See photos enlarged:
Lucid is on the left.
Your new Lucid has a shorter turning radius than most cars it's size. Turning a corner is something to get
used to without running over the curb with a rear wheel, and it can be very costly. I have done it several times myself
"Damnit". Be careful out there.

I’ve been lucky. In eight months and 13,000 miles of ownership, I have yet to curb rash the 19” rims on my Air GT. Our Teslas on the other hand, all the time. ALL THE FRICKIN’ TIME.

I've curbed my 21"ers twice in 2,500 miles.

Both times from taking a right turn too tight.

Minor scratches only, fortunately.

I’ve been lucky. In eight months and 13,000 miles of ownership, I have yet to curb rash the 19” rims on my Air GT. Our Teslas on the other hand, all the time. ALL THE FRICKIN’ TIME.
It's so freaking frustrating!

Same. When I turned in my Tesla when the lease was up, the rims looked like I spent three years TRYING to curb them. All four wheels. It was super embarrassing.

There are so many narrow entrances and exits for parking garages around here, with high curbs that are just begging to be hit if you aren't super careful.

So far, so good with the Lucid. The 360 cam is very handy for this.

Last edited:
Three out of 4 rims messed up in under 3000 miles....makes me sick every time I go out to the car. I am scared to get them repaired as it probably is gonna happen again. Expensive learning curve with the 21's. 😞

Also, be careful parallel parking when the spot is uneven and elevated as I think the 360 camera is off slightly in those situations. I put a nice one on rear passenger even though it was tight and it looked good on camera 🤬. Now, I use autopark for parallel parking a lot more which is more conservative on distance from the curb than I am as I'm still getting used to the wider turning radius and the rim edges being extended beyond the tires like you described than my other car.

I miss the side mirrors angling down when reversing to park as I'm trained to use that and parking tight to the curb.

Three out of 4 rims messed up in under 3000 miles....makes me sick every time I go out to the car. I am scared to get them repaired as it probably is gonna happen again. Expensive learning curve with the 21's. 😞
10000 miles and my 21s are perfect. Hmmmm.

I drove a tiny FRS before this big beast and my husband drove a 4 wheel drive SUV. We are not at all used to a big low sedan with rims that stick out further than the rubber on the tires - this is a whole new ball game! 😀

They make rim protectors :

Have you used the Alloy Gators?
Did you install yourself?
What has been your experience?
Pictures please.

Reactions: RAK
Personally I have not used it hut I saw it installed at my detail shop on another lucid, I also changed my wheels to 20 inch no staggered custom wheels:
IMG_7782.jpeg

Here is where I saw it posted for the detail shop I used in AZ
IMG_7822.jpeg

Also, be careful parallel parking when the spot is uneven and elevated as I think the 360 camera is off slightly in those situations. I put a nice one on rear passenger even though it was tight and it looked good on camera 🤬. Now, I use autopark for parallel parking a lot more which is more conservative on distance from the curb than I am as I'm still getting used to the wider turning radius and the rim edges being extended beyond the tires like you described than my other car.

I miss the side mirrors angling down when reversing to park as I'm trained to use that and parking tight to the curb.
One quick trick with the 360 cam is to put it overhead and then turn your steering wheel all the way in one direction. You'll see your wheels and you can see where your wheels are relative to the overhead picture. It helps me get used to the footprint of the car when parking in tight spots.

You're a good driver! Mine are still good, but I'm super careful where I park it because I know I'll scrape it on something sooner or later, because I have on my other cars.

You're a good driver! Mine are still good, but I'm super careful where I park it because I know I'll scrape it on something sooner or later, because I have on my other cars.

Eight months and 15,000 miles later, no curb rash yet for me. It’s remarkable considering that I curb rashed every wheel of every Tesla we ever owned, at least twice per wheel. And we had twelve Tesla wheels at one time. Infuriating to say the least. I even had a guy lined up who provided mobile rim repair service. So far, with my Lucid, I haven’t yet had to call on him.

The “chin guard” under the front bumper, however…well, that’s another matter.

Eight months and 15,000 miles later, no curb rash yet for me. It’s remarkable considering that I curb rashed every wheel of every Tesla we ever owned, at least twice per wheel. And we had twelve Tesla wheels at one time. Infuriating to say the least. I even had a guy lined up who provided mobile rim repair service. So far, with my Lucid, I haven’t yet had to call on him.

The “chin guard” under the front bumper, however…well, that’s another matter.
I have bumper scrape guards installed under that. If I don't exit my driveway at an angle or below 3mph, I'll scrape the front bumper. It's just way too low.

I have bumper scrape guards installed under that. If I don't exit my driveway at an angle or below 3mph, I'll scrape the front bumper. It's just way too low.

I just looked them up on amazon. Thanks for the tip!

Back