What to Buy?

Thanks Pete. I was following that you took delivery right before heading north since we are virtual neighbors (Jupiter here). Was wondering if I would see you on the road by chance.

I saw my first one in the wild in Wellington last week (gold) and my mother saw a black one in Admiral’s Cove this morning. I was surprised it took this long to see some as our area and my son’s school are prime targets.
I’ve seen one in Old Palm. I’m in Mirasol. At this point, it feels like half of Mirasol has had a drive in my car! Was down for meetings this week and was sad to leave car behind (my wife thinks I treat it like a child). Heading back down right after Memorial Day to drive it to CT with my brother in law. Have never made that drive even though we’ve been splitting our time for 12 years! I’ve pretty much always had a pair of cars in each place. Not sure what I will do next winter when the lease is up on my convertible in Florida.

Assuming you have good cell phone service, streaming SiriusXM via the app gives better audio quality than via satellite in my opinion. I do this for my vehicles. I subscribe to Sirius XM in my Tesla, and use the app via CarPlay in my Telluride. Other side benefit is that I can stream stations in my home using my Amazon echo devices.
If you don’t want to use your phone’s data plan, you can download SiriusXM shows to your phone when you’re on Wi-Fi at home and then stream them from your phone to the Lucid audio system using Bluetooth.

I'm curious---can you connect phone to Lucid by wire, and hear SXM thru car audio? Can you switch stations on the cr rather than phone?
I am not sure if CP or AA will be wired or wireless, either way when Enabled, you will be able to use the screen in the vehicle to control. Prior to that you can use BT connection, but will have to control the SiriusXM app from your phones screen. I wonder if Lucid will make the Alexa integration in the vehicle compatible with audio services. From what I’ve read, Rivian will be doing that. If they do, then you can simply ask your friendly assistant to play whatever SXM station you are looking for, same as you can do at home.

So after a lot of back and forth, reading through comments from you all and a few other forums, we made our interim decision on "What to Buy". We placed an order for a Pre owned 2018 100D with 18K miles on it. Got a decent offer($66k) and it has a normal steering (Could not stand Yoke). This car will last us for a few years while either our Touring or Pure shows up. I did not want to deal with some of the initial year issues that Lucid owners are certain to go through; happens with most EVs unless you use someone else's OS like polestar did with Android. Even then, Android OS still has issues even though Google is miles ahead of Lucid. We are keeping our reservations for Rivian and Lucid for now but they were booked in March 2022 and I am not expecting the cars to show up till March 2024. I hope Lucid fixes defects quickly and everyone gets to enjoy the car. Till then, I will drive around in Model S. Being an early adopter does bring exclusivity but also makes you the tester for any software. I just need the car to do what it should do while I do what i need to. Thanks again to you all for all the advice.

Have a question for more seasoned luxury car buyers. I am Looking to buy a good luxury car upto $150k. Would have preferred an EV but can’t stand Tesla’s gaming console and am somewhat disillusioned with Lucid’s software defects that even basics aren’t working. I want to buy a luxury car that works, not an experiment that may take 2-3 years to iron out stuff. Any recommendations on what makes most sense to buy now? I need a good luxury car that does its job while I do mine.
Thanks in advance.
My wife is very happy with her Mercedes AMG EQS. I like it better than the EQS 580 but they are hard to get at the moment.

I did not want to deal with some of the initial year issues that Lucid owners are certain to go through; happens with most EVs unless you use someone else's OS like polestar did with Android. Even then, Android OS still has issues even though Google is miles ahead of Lucid.
Doesn't Lucid use Android Automotive exactly like Polestar?

So after a lot of back and forth, reading through comments from you all and a few other forums, we made our interim decision on "What to Buy". We placed an order for a Pre owned 2018 100D with 18K miles on it. Got a decent offer($66k) and it has a normal steering (Could not stand Yoke). This car will last us for a few years while either our Touring or Pure shows up. I did not want to deal with some of the initial year issues that Lucid owners are certain to go through; happens with most EVs unless you use someone else's OS like polestar did with Android. Even then, Android OS still has issues even though Google is miles ahead of Lucid. We are keeping our reservations for Rivian and Lucid for now but they were booked in March 2022 and I am not expecting the cars to show up till March 2024. I hope Lucid fixes defects quickly and everyone gets to enjoy the car. Till then, I will drive around in Model S. Being an early adopter does bring exclusivity but also makes you the tester for any software. I just need the car to do what it should do while I do what i need to. Thanks again to you all for all the advice.
No problem. Everyone has to make the choice they’re most comfortable with. I’m notorious for being an early adopter with technology because I like to learn all the nuances of it on an intricate level, but yeah that can come with some frustrations and equally great excitement, and I also understand those who want a car that they don’t have to think about the details, learning curve and issues so much.

For me the Lucid fits great, and I’m excited for when the software limitations are overcome, which they are definitely working on.

I’ve been following this forum closely. And I do have concerns about accepting my touring. If they haven’t fixed things like bluetooth audio, (I’m not even asking for CarPlay or Android Auto), vampire drain, or the startup delay those may be deal breakers. I do love Lucid but plan on delaying my order until those things are sorted out.

That will be a very expensive delay as the price goes up at the end of the month. It will be many, many months before the Tour is delivered and by then, many if not all of the issues you are concerned about may be resolved. And, as I understand it, some already have such as the vampire drain. The cause of the drain has been ID'd and can be minimized.

…It will be many, many months before the Tour is delivered and by then, many if not all of the issues you are concerned about may be resolved. And, as I understand it, some already have such as the vampire drain. The cause of the drain has been ID'd and can be minimized.
I hope so!

I’ve been following this forum closely. And I do have concerns about accepting my touring. If they haven’t fixed things like bluetooth audio, (I’m not even asking for CarPlay or Android Auto), vampire drain, or the startup delay those may be deal breakers. I do love Lucid but plan on delaying my order until those things are sorted out.
I don't have any of the issues you describe...so..put down that money!

I don't have any of the issues you describe...so..put down that money!
My vampire drain has improved remarkably over the last week. I only lose about 1-2 miles max per night. I think maybe cuz of the weather being warmer?

Doesn't Lucid use Android Automotive exactly like Polestar?
I don’t think so. Lucid went it’s own way developing software. I think ultimately, it will be Tesla vs Android just like Apple vs Android. Most car manufacturers will adopt Android to compete with Tesla just like Cellphone manufacturers did to compete with Apple. Now Tesla is no Apple but it’s close when It comes to EV maturity. Lucid built its own software, hence has Alexa, just like Rivian, otherwise they would have Google Assistant built in. Advantage with adopting Google OS also is that google/Waymo is years ahead of Tesla in self driving. Google will likely get there faster than Tesla despite all claims from Tesla because LIDAR technology is likely to be more successful than just pure Sensor based AI. Hence it makes a a lot of sense to adopt Google OS for EV manufacturers if you are not Tesla. I hope Lucid/Rivian find a path to adopt some aspects of Android so they do not have to reinvent the wheel. As they say, “Not Everything needs to be reinvented”.

… Hence it makes a a lot of sense to adopt Google OS for EV manufacturers if you are not Tesla.

Never thought of that.

I bet their level 5 autonomy software wil need to be fully integrated into the vehicle, since it would essentially control all the driving.

So having Google OS will likely be required for level 5 autonomy. At least initially.

Of course that is years away. I will prolly have two more cars before then. Lol.

I don’t think so. Lucid went it’s own way developing software. I think ultimately, it will be Tesla vs Android just like Apple vs Android. Most car manufacturers will adopt Android to compete with Tesla just like Cellphone manufacturers did to compete with Apple. Now Tesla is no Apple but it’s close when It comes to EV maturity. Lucid built its own software, hence has Alexa, just like Rivian, otherwise they would have Google Assistant built in. Advantage with adopting Google OS also is that google/Waymo is years ahead of Tesla in self driving. Google will likely get there faster than Tesla despite all claims from Tesla because LIDAR technology is likely to be more successful than just pure Sensor based AI. Hence it makes a a lot of sense to adopt Google OS for EV manufacturers if you are not Tesla. I hope Lucid/Rivian find a path to adopt some aspects of Android so they do not have to reinvent the wheel. As they say, “Not Everything needs to be reinvented”.
Lucid started with the open-source Android Automotive operating system and built out the apps and other features from there. Android Automotive OS is modeled after Google’s Android open-source mobile operating system that runs on Linux. Google has offered an open-source version of this OS to automakers for some time. In recent years, automakers have worked with Google to natively build in an Android OS that is embedded with all the Google apps and services such as Google Assistant, Google Maps and the Google Play Store. Lucid did not take the Google services platform route.

From here, Lucid worked with various third-party apps and integrated them into the infotainment system, a list that currently includes iHeartRadio, TuneIn, Pocket Casts, Dolby Atmos, Tidal and Spotify.

As you can tell, I know nothing about coding. Lol.

Lucid started with the open-source Android Automotive operating system and built out the apps and other features from there. Android Automotive OS is modeled after Google’s Android open-source mobile operating system that runs on Linux. Google has offered an open-source version of this OS to automakers for some time. In recent years, automakers have worked with Google to natively build in an Android OS that is embedded with all the Google apps and services such as Google Assistant, Google Maps and the Google Play Store. Lucid did not take the Google services platform route.

From here, Lucid worked with various third-party apps and integrated them into the infotainment system, a list that currently includes iHeartRadio, TuneIn, Pocket Casts, Dolby Atmos, Tidal and Spotify.
Which is the exact reason path for Lucid is a bit tougher in the initial stages. It took Tesla many years to iron it out. But then Lucid will be able to control User experience much better for its needs as they move forward.

The only wish was to have Google Maps embedded, but perhaps at the time it could not yet integrate into EV architecture and do on the fly route planning using battery SOC. Who knows!

Back