What make of car were you loyal to before Lucid? … Will you miss it?

Dr_B

Cars
Model Y, Model 3, Lucid T
My dad had an ‘03 X5, ‘08 X3, and a ‘12 X3 when we first test drove the Model S. He traded that last BMW for a Model 3P, and at 75 years old had the coolest car on the block. Now at 80 he’s going to do it again with an Air.

Does he miss the Beemers? “A little bit but not really.” And certainly doesn’t miss the maintenance.

So what brand were you loyal to before you switched?

Used to be loyal to Audi. Repairs were just too expensive and I found their pricing to be out of touch with reality. When comparing the RS Etron to the Porsche Taycan I really wondered why their pricing was higher than Porsche. I always considered Porsche a niche vehicle and it did not make sense that I could get into a Taycan for cheaper than the Etron.

I am still waiting for my AGT and have been talking this car up since day 1. I likely will be a loyalist to Lucid and may even consider the gravity (My wife is still looking for a vehicle... and who knows by the time she is ready to pull the trigger, the gravity may be out!).

Loyalty to an automotive brand? Strange concept. When I am in the market to purchase a car I am looking for a better vehicle, with up to date tech (as I keep cars for 7 years or longer), one that is more suited to my needs as I foresee them. I am no more loyal to a car manufacturer than I am to a brand of toothpaste.

Loyalty to an automotive brand? Strange concept. When I am in the market to purchase a car I am looking for a better vehicle, with up to date tech (as I keep cars for 7 years or longer), one that is more suited to my needs as I foresee them. I am no more loyal to a car manufacturer than I am to a brand of toothpaste.
Oh, I’m very particular about toothpaste.

There is potentially a benefit to be had in familiarity. I remember a few years ago renting a Nissan Sentra for the ride from the Albuquerque airport to Santa Fe. I spent the entire hour saying to myself "remember...there is no adaptive cruise control".

I have had BMWs and until recently they generally performed the same way. Only problem was that the same model car kept getting bigger. But recently they have IMHO lost their design chops. The new BMWs, including but not limited to the BEVs, are just too ugly and the company has been changing the way the car operates for no apparent reason (e.g., reverse tach; moving the start/stop button). I did a test drive in the IX and when it was time to get out, I couldn't find the door handle (it is in fact now a button on the door). Sad because they still drive very well.

Loyalty is a two way road. BMW has basically said we are chasing new customers and the heck with traditional ones.

There is potentially a benefit to be had in familiarity. I remember a few years ago renting a Nissan Sentra for the ride from the Albuquerque airport to Santa Fe. I spent the entire hour saying to myself "remember...there is no adaptive cruise control".

I have had BMWs and until recently they generally performed the same way. Only problem was that the same model car kept getting bigger. But recently they have IMHO lost their design chops. The new BMWs, including but not limited to the BEVs, are just too ugly and the company has been changing the way the car operates for no apparent reason (e.g., reverse tach; moving the start/stop button). I did a test drive in the IX and when it was time to get out, I couldn't find the door handle (it is in fact now a button on the door). Sad because they still drive very well.

Loyalty is a two way road. BMW has basically said we are chasing new customers and the heck with traditional ones.
Agree totally. I love the way the iX performs, and the interior is as good as any. But the exterior design is a deal killer. Too bad, because if it were just neutral, rather than a primal scream, I’d own one by now

Germans make great drivers‘ cars. Really enjoyed our Audi A8, but it was getting long in the tooth and repairs were mounting. Also really like BMWs, but sorry, the beaverface of the new ones is uuuugly. Can’t say whether I miss either yet, as I’m still waiting out the Silver deharmonization.

I have been loyal to Honda for 32 years. It’s one good brand for low maintenance, high fuel economy and just overall practicality. 4 Accords, 2 Civic, 1 CRX, 1 Odyssey later, I started adding German cars to the mix for family (MB, Porsche, VW)
Just before I got my AGT, my favorite ride was Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I can get on curb and cut thru some shallow water terrain like Captain Sparrow. I thought that was going to be my last ever joyride; but Lucid AGT totally beats it. This car is just stupid fast, great DolBy ATMOS surround and internal cabin that is quieter to my other rides in the past.
I can see myself stay loyal to Lucid for years to come if they can impress me with more models.
View attachment 3295
I got my air GT last week and am also in love with the Rubicon. We will be replacing our model 3 with the 4xE Rubicon next year.

I got my air GT last week and am also in love with the Rubicon. We will be replacing our model 3 with the 4xE Rubicon next year.
I was disappointed after I got 4x4, 4XE came out the following year. Fuel consumption is way better and it also has 28 miles electric mode whenever.

1657263119434.jpeg

I may be of minority here, I don’t want to be loyal to a brand so I can buy cars from different brands. So far I had Pontiac, Ford, Honda, Audi, Jeep, Tesla. In future I am looking to buy from Chrysler, Lucid & Porsche.

Wait a second, with such good tastes in cars, you have an orange garage?!?!
Ha ha! I am so glad you caught that. This is a house we are renting while we remodel our home. The previous owner was an eclectic artist and the entire house is awash in weirdness like orange-painted bricks, bright green front door, purple ceilings...and a 3-acre lot with lush gardens. My cars are basically parked in Oz.

Ha ha! I am so glad you caught that. This is a house we are renting while we remodel our home. The previous owner was an eclectic artist and the entire house is awash in weirdness like orange-painted bricks, bright green front door, purple ceilings...and a 3-acre lot with lush gardens. My cars are basically parked in Oz.
Are those shoe racks on the left wall??

If you could keep only 1, which one would it be? Forget about the practicality of driving kids for this exercise.
I would keep the Lucid, if I could keep only one. (I also have a Range Rover Supercharged that sits outside now). The Ferrari is fun for short stints, is wildly fast but in a much scarier manner than the Lucid (which is significant "faster" but in a more controllable way). Ferrari is not something I would want to use daily. The Range Rover is a lumbering beast that makes me hate ICE but it is very open and luxurious. The Tesla is feeling a little old, but in all honesty I still like it quite a bit -- the range is much less (max 300 miles) than the Lucid, but it's better for quick-jump-in-run-to-the-store type of excursions because it unlocks and goes more instantly and I'm just less cautious about it. The Lucid is still new and posh and requires thought and deliberation (and parking far away from anyone else).

Once Lucid gets the software sorted out, the Lucid will be the best car ever made. Although I would personally miss the ability to open a sunroof.....

I would keep the Lucid, if I could keep only one. (I also have a Range Rover Supercharged that sits outside now). The Ferrari is fun for short stints, is wildly fast but in a much scarier manner than the Lucid (which is significant "faster" but in a more controllable way). Ferrari is not something I would want to use daily. The Range Rover is a lumbering beast that makes me hate ICE but it is very open and luxurious. The Tesla is feeling a little old, but in all honesty I still like it quite a bit -- the range is much less (max 300 miles) than the Lucid, but it's better for quick-jump-in-run-to-the-store type of excursions because it unlocks and goes more instantly and I'm just less cautious about it. The Lucid is still new and posh and requires thought and deliberation (and parking far away from anyone else).

Once Lucid gets the software sorted out, the Lucid will be the best car ever made. Although I would personally miss the ability to open a sunroof.....
You heard it here folks, Lucid beats Ferrari! 😎Ferrari is still on my bucket list, but thanks for helping ease the want.

Does the Ferrari garner more attention than the Lucid??

You heard it here folks, Lucid beats Ferrari! 😎Ferrari is still on my bucket list, but thanks for helping ease the want.

Does the Ferrari garner more attention than the Lucid??
I think Lucid Air is more unicorn than Ferrari at this point. I even had Ferrari slowed down to check AGT out once.

I think Lucid Air is more unicorn than Ferrari at this point. I even had Ferrari slowed down to check AGT out once.
I had a first generation R8 and sold it because of the attention. I’m older, more distinguished and ready for the chicks to dig me and men to fear me. 🤪

Back