What is your reason for getting a Lucid Air?

I had decided several years ago my next car was going to be an EV and I just assumed it was going to be a Tesla Model S. Once I was ready I went to the Tesla showroom near me and took a closer look at a Model S. It wasn’t as nice and luxurious as I was expecting and that yoke was something I just didn‘t like. I still liked the vehicle overall but now I was open to something else. I wanted a vehicle that was more luxurious, and not as saturated in the market. It was also important to me to only go with a vehicle from an EV company as opposed to an ICE company making EVs. I felt like that kind of company would really think about what an EV can be from the ground up. Lucid checked all the boxes and additionally I thought it would be exciting (and at times challenging) to go with a startup which is something I wish I was in the position to do with Tesla many years ago.

Have been pondering a full EV for years and had a Tesla Model S reserved a while back; then Elon opened his mouth with more absurd commentary and I promptly cancelled it. Not to discredit his incredible impact on the world and his brilliance , but for me , some of his views/statements just make me cringe . Also, do not mean to snub Tesla owners; don’t want to lose too many friends!! I encourage many people to buy Teslas if they are so inclined ; I just couldn’t do it.
The Lucid met all my criteria; long range , striking looks , and a reputation for an incredible driving experience. Had a Rivian on reserve also, but cancelled it to go with Lucid. I have since seen and driven a Rivian; just incredible. If I can only see and drive my Lucid ( any day now), that would be ideal.

Last edited:
Have been pondering a full EV for years and had a Tesla Model S reserved a while back; then Elon opened his mouth with more absurd commentary and I promptly cancelled it. Not to discredit his incredible impact on the world and his brilliance , but for me , some of views/statements are just make me cringe .
The Lucid met all my criteria; long range , striking looks , and a reputation for an incredible driving experience. Had a Rivian on reserve also, but cancelled it to go with Lucid. I have since seen and driven a Rivian; just incredible. If can only see and drive my Lucid ( any day now), that would be ideal.
Same here….
Lucid Air satisfied our family sedan need instead of MB S-500 or Tesla MS at the time.
Rivian R1S is in our reservation to replace our Odyssey. (Another first year adopter) I forfeit thought of Navigator, resist temptation of Tesla MX, and patiently wait for the next 2 years. Unless Gravity can show me specs details, I’m all in on R1S and ignoring all other SUV out there.

Have a 2017 Tesla Model S 75D (about 265 range). Have been very happy with it. Was interested in the long range version that Tesla introduced. Unfortunately, they also introduced the yoke (with no option to switch to traditional steering wheel). The yoke has those goofy buttons for turn signal and horn, which change from muscle memory position when one turns the wheel; and the yoke unnecessarily complicates low speed maneuvering (parking lots, etc.) This was a non-starter.

About this time, I stumbled across Lucid’s marketing. To be honest, for some reason I initially did not care at all for the exterior and interior styling of the Lucid Air. But, over time, it grew on me, and I now very much dig it.

Their marketing worked with the subsequent vids on the technology (existing and promised). And the range was beyond anything Tesla had been offering.

Most importantly, the Lucid came with a GD steering wheel!
(Tho’ a physical button for the glove box is sorely missed, especially with a 30+ second software warm-up before I can grab something out of the glovebox!)

I put reservation money on both the Dream edition and the Tesla Plaid Plus cuz they were suppose to give the same range of 520. As time past, I kept seeing the ads for better audio in the Lucid, space, technology.. so I was really torn , and couldn't decide. Then the Plaid Plus got cancelled so I requested a refund from Tesla then asked Lucid to forward my reservation money from the DE to the GT.

Range primarily. Would not have purchased it if the range was less than 500 miles. Had been waiting for a manufacturer to come out with a 500 mile or 1000 km range vehicle.

That said, not just any long range car would do. This is to be our car for trips so it had to have the comfort and luxury for those road trips. Would not have purchased a Tesla, for example, even if it had the 500 mile range.

Agree with previous posts - especially with range.

The comfort and space in the rear seating area are also standouts.

Also, I would like a unique car for a little while.

A Tesla engineer who is a friend of my daughter asked me what I wanted in a car. I said I like the performance of a Tesla Model S but the interior looks kluged together and it is noisier than I expected. I also told him I've driven a Mercedes S63. Liked the quiet but wasn't comfortable with the curves. He told me I was the perfect candidate for a Lucid Air. I have a test drive scheduled in a couple of weeks so I'll have an idea of what to expect. I'll bring my daughter and let her have a go at it. She was a design engineer back in the day for Daimler-Chrysler. Hope we won't be disappointed.

nice to see all the replies. seems like range is the top reason. for folks who have their hands on a lucid, does it stand up to its claims?

The claims are pretty good.. I get alot more range than I did with my Tesla and I am very happy with it. I highly doubt I will ever hit 500 miles but with the way I drive, around 400 is good enough for me. I suppose I could drive at 55 mph in the right lane and 72 degrees temp in the car but whats the fun of that.

If I drove it the way one *should*, it definitely holds up to its claims. I get 85-95% of EPA on long road trips, and sometimes higher. When driving it for *fun*, it gets a little thirsty. :p

Reactions: NPN
Considering my lifetime mi/kWh is 4.2 over 4200 miles, and epa says 4.6 (on my 19” wheels), I’d say 91% of epa is holding up to claims. @nasilemak
I’m at 3.9, my take on it is the lower mi/kWh you have, the more fun you must be having. Go figure that Lucid makes me respect less efficiency hahaha.

A Tesla engineer who is a friend of my daughter asked me what I wanted in a car. I said I like the performance of a Tesla Model S but the interior looks kluged together and it is noisier than I expected. I also told him I've driven a Mercedes S63. Liked the quiet but wasn't comfortable with the curves. He told me I was the perfect candidate for a Lucid Air. I have a test drive scheduled in a couple of weeks so I'll have an idea of what to expect. I'll bring my daughter and let her have a go at it. She was a design engineer back in the day for Daimler-Chrysler. Hope we won't be disappointed.
When you test drive it, do try out sprint mode. There’s no need to launch the car or anything, but comparing how it feels between sprint vs smooth is pretty amazing. Smooth = like riding on glass but you’re in control. Sprint = ROLLER COASTER. Swift = tighter steering and can attack when you feel like it. Also definitely just start out in strong regen, once you get used to it it really is the best way to drive the car.

When you test drive it, do try out sprint mode. There’s no need to launch the car or anything, but comparing how it feels between sprint vs smooth is pretty amazing. Smooth = like riding on glass but you’re in control. Sprint = ROLLER COASTER. Swift = tighter steering and can attack when you feel like it. Also definitely just start out in strong regen, once you get used to it it really is the best way to drive the car.
Totally agree that you should try out all the modes. The SA on my test drive in Scottsdale back in June actually encouraged it.

In terms of why a Lucid, range is obviously a big reason (several long roadtrips per year), but also comfort as we're not fans of the Tesla interior. Have reservations for both an R1T and Lucid. Basically have been waiting for whichever comes first, which will be the Lucid since the Max Pack R1T won't be made for a while yet...

My take is that with the kind of driving one would expect from a car with this much power, one will not get close to the EPA range. But the same applies to almost every other manufacturer but since the Lucid is starting at a higher point, the range is greater.

Reactions: NPN
I guess I’m getting senile and driving less thrilling stylinh as I once was with my AGT21”. My trip A has improved from 2.6 to 3.0 over time.

0380D38B-331A-4384-A4E4-6FECFADDDFF6.jpeg

I guess I’m getting senile and driving less thrilling stylinh as I once was with my AGT21”. My trip A has improved from 2.6 to 3.0 over time.

View attachment 4355
That's great and all, but your screen needs to be wiped down!

Back