What is your reason for getting a Lucid Air?

My next car had to be electric. I originally planned to get the Audi A6 eTron due out later this year but was won over by the design and range of Lucid.

Range and the interior is actually a nice, luxury interior. I waited a few years assuming Tesla would upscale the interior in the Model S, then they didn't. A car for $100k needs to be better than what Tesla is doing, and Lucid does that well.

nice to see all the replies. seems like range is the top reason. for folks who have their hands on a lucid, does it stand up to its claims?
I only use the EPA claims to compare one model to another. Yes, my Lucid will go farther on a charge than any other car I would drive. Gets 85-92% of the range on long trips. Less than that if driving a lot of short trips due to the BMS fans. But I don’t need all that range if I am doing short trips.

When you test drive it, do try out sprint mode. There’s no need to launch the car or anything, but comparing how it feels between sprint vs smooth is pretty amazing. Smooth = like riding on glass but you’re in control. Sprint = ROLLER COASTER. Swift = tighter steering and can attack when you feel like it. Also definitely just start out in strong regen, once you get used to it it really is the best way to drive the car.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll pass that on to my daughter. We went to the speedway to run Challenger SRTs a few years ago. She left my ego on the track :-(. I felt bad until I heard she beat every other guy there. Really looking forward to checking out the Lucid.

First looked at them because I'm in AZ where they are built. Liked pretty much everything that I found out about but especially range.

My childhood dream that we will be driving mostly EV's plus renewable energy sources some day. Getting older and dying. I'm not gonna wait longer for other models with 400+ mi range to come out.

Agreed with that mall poster! That was the first glimpse that piqued my interest. After years of filling up gas guzzlers I couldn’t do it anymore. Thought about Tesla but agreed with it looking too minimalist for the money, and plus Elon talking/acting too irresponsibly. Then as someone coming from a fam that holds onto cars forever thought the Lucid would be a significant leap forward in appointments (we own an ‘06 Sienna and ‘15 Highlander) and a vehicle that we would be satisfied with for years to come. Lucid’s philosophy just makes sense and so the cars follow.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned bi-directional charging. My reasons were EV, range, bi-directional in that order. I believe the next 10 years will see a significant shift in self reliance for energy as I dont see the grid keeping up with electric demand. I believe many homeowners will need to have multiple solutions for energy…..grid, solar, generators….and 100+ KWh of battery in the garage will be a part of that.

When you test drive it, do try out sprint mode. There’s no need to launch the car or anything, but comparing how it feels between sprint vs smooth is pretty amazing. Smooth = like riding on glass but you’re in control. Sprint = ROLLER COASTER. Swift = tighter steering and can attack when you feel like it. Also definitely just start out in strong regen, once you get used to it it really is the best way to drive the car.
Trip report from my test drive on Saturday in Scottsdale:

Hooooooooooooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

End of report.

Updated trip report:

We were met by Pashtar, the Lucid rep. He was super. I noticed that the white prototype I saw in March has been replaced with a production model in Quantum Grey. The gray color looks brighter than when I saw one on the road back home. We had a choice between a red Lucid with 19" wheels or a white one with 21" wheels. Since I ordered the Touring with 20" wheels, he said the white car would most closely approximate the ride experience. Both the 20" and 21" wheels are staggered, whereas the 19" wheels are all the same and can be swapped front to rear. Pashtar guided us through all the adjustments that can be made prior to putting the car into gear - pretty straightforward stuff. Nice that you can make a lot of adjustments on the screen or by using the buttons on the side of the seat, similar to many cars on the road today.

My daughter drove the car first while I sat in the back. The elevated floorboard in the rear doesn't feel bad at all, albeit my experience back there was about 20-25 minutes. It feels a lot like being in a limo. I got to relax into the seat back which felt very comfortable although I must admit that most of the time I was leaning forward as Pashtar explained all the features to my daughter. I'm 5'9" 165lbs, and I had at least a foot of leg space. The rear was cavernous by almost any standard; it felt great, and the elevated floorboard IMO is a non-issue.

My daughter only drove with the power setting on Smooth - but it was plenty. When she accelerated, I could feel my back snapping into the seatback cushion. It reminded me of the acceleration of my '68 Camaro 396SS back in the day but I'm sure this was much more powerful. We were driving north on Scottsdale Boulevard when she took a look in the rearview mirror, then proceeded to do a series of 6 "S" turns at around 50mph while remaining in the center lane. The car was like a stripe of paint; there was zero tire squeal. Pashtar did tell us that there have only been 2 traffic citations written during his experience in giving demo rides lol!

We then switched places, and Pashtar turned the mode setting to Swift. We took it on the highway where I made a series of spirited accelerations. The car was extremely responsive. Pashtar asked me if I wanted to try the Sprint mode (heck yeah), so I got to drive that as well. To be honest, I didn't see much of a difference between the three modes. If you nailed the pedal, it GOES in any mode! Maybe I would notice the difference in the GT Performance, but the power in the vehicle we drove was way more than plenty. I also drove the car using the aggressive setting in the one-pedal mode. It took almost no time getting used to it while driving, but it does take some getting used to when stopping or slowing down (gauging the distance in front). Unlike ICE vehicles, there is no "creep" once you stop. I said I bet these brakes could last 100K miles. Pashtar said double that number and I would be in the ballpark.

Tried as hard as I could, I could never manage to break the tires loose, even accelerating during a tight right-hand turn.

Impressions:

In a word, unbelievable. The technology was awesome but not intimidating. It felt "right." A/C felt comfortable. It was a 90+ degree day but the car was in a parking structure so it wasn't exposed to the sun before we got into the car. Unbelievably quiet compared to the Tesla P90D that I drove a couple of years ago. My daughter said it wasn't like anything she tested at Daimler-Chrysler. I told her friend (Lucid engineer) 2 years ago that I wished they made a car with Tesla's performance and Mercedes quiet and comfort. I think Lucid nailed it.

It’s the only EV currently available with the quality, range, and performance that make it competitive with an ice luxury sports sedan.

Better everything Is on the horizon. I’m driving the Lucid today. Buying Sapphire for same reasons. I expect to take delivery 1h 2023 and it will be years before anything comparable is available.

Updated trip report:

We were met by Pashtar, the Lucid rep. He was super. I noticed that the white prototype I saw in March has been replaced with a production model in Quantum Grey. The gray color looks brighter than when I saw one on the road back home. We had a choice between a red Lucid with 19" wheels or a white one with 21" wheels. Since I ordered the Touring with 20" wheels, he said the white car would most closely approximate the ride experience. Both the 20" and 21" wheels are staggered, whereas the 19" wheels are all the same and can be swapped front to rear. Pashtar guided us through all the adjustments that can be made prior to putting the car into gear - pretty straightforward stuff. Nice that you can make a lot of adjustments on the screen or by using the buttons on the side of the seat, similar to many cars on the road today.

My daughter drove the car first while I sat in the back. The elevated floorboard in the rear doesn't feel bad at all, albeit my experience back there was about 20-25 minutes. It feels a lot like being in a limo. I got to relax into the seat back which felt very comfortable although I must admit that most of the time I was leaning forward as Pashtar explained all the features to my daughter. I'm 5'9" 165lbs, and I had at least a foot of leg space. The rear was cavernous by almost any standard; it felt great, and the elevated floorboard IMO is a non-issue.

My daughter only drove with the power setting on Smooth - but it was plenty. When she accelerated, I could feel my back snapping into the seatback cushion. It reminded me of the acceleration of my '68 Camaro 396SS back in the day but I'm sure this was much more powerful. We were driving north on Scottsdale Boulevard when she took a look in the rearview mirror, then proceeded to do a series of 6 "S" turns at around 50mph while remaining in the center lane. The car was like a stripe of paint; there was zero tire squeal. Pashtar did tell us that there have only been 2 traffic citations written during his experience in giving demo rides lol!

We then switched places, and Pashtar turned the mode setting to Swift. We took it on the highway where I made a series of spirited accelerations. The car was extremely responsive. Pashtar asked me if I wanted to try the Sprint mode (heck yeah), so I got to drive that as well. To be honest, I didn't see much of a difference between the three modes. If you nailed the pedal, it GOES in any mode! Maybe I would notice the difference in the GT Performance, but the power in the vehicle we drove was way more than plenty. I also drove the car using the aggressive setting in the one-pedal mode. It took almost no time getting used to it while driving, but it does take some getting used to when stopping or slowing down (gauging the distance in front). Unlike ICE vehicles, there is no "creep" once you stop. I said I bet these brakes could last 100K miles. Pashtar said double that number and I would be in the ballpark.

Tried as hard as I could, I could never manage to break the tires loose, even accelerating during a tight right-hand turn.

Impressions:

In a word, unbelievable. The technology was awesome but not intimidating. It felt "right." A/C felt comfortable. It was a 90+ degree day but the car was in a parking structure so it wasn't exposed to the sun before we got into the car. Unbelievably quiet compared to the Tesla P90D that I drove a couple of years ago. My daughter said it wasn't like anything she tested at Daimler-Chrysler. I told her friend (Lucid engineer) 2 years ago that I wished they made a car with Tesla's performance and Mercedes quiet and comfort. I think Lucid nailed it.
Thanks for that thoughtful review...my test drive is schedule for a few weeks hence and I'm hoping/expecting my reactions to be as positive as yours

Updated trip report:

Impressions:

I Uber few times in London of Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 Series. The Uber driver told me the same thing. Some tried Tesla Model-S, couldn’t stand the noise in cabin to feel luxury enough and ended up getting their car. In Central London, it’s like all the world’s highest density area of royalty family relatives and rich Arabs, I see Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari, Ducati, McClarin, Aston Martin, Maserati…. Just endless all the time… Mercedes Benz and BMW are just like Corolla and Sentra in London.

After riding S-Class few times with back row electronic 7 ways reclining seats, I gotta admit Lucid Air has some way to go to be S-Class, but they are getting closer than the others brands. BMW 7 series was close too, but not quite.

Thanks for that thoughtful review...my test drive is schedule for a few weeks hence and I'm hoping/expecting my reactions to be as positive as yours
Take the advice I got from bunnylebowski and try all 3 modes. Let us know if you discern any differences while hopping on the accelerator but be forewarned: Lucid does not cover speeding tickets!

Drove a friends Tesla for a weekend and found the driving experience to be the "next new (fun) thing"

Followed Lucid since 2016 for unrelated reasons---liked the people and concept

Saw the design and found it compelling...certain cars do that to certain people.

Early owner feedback on acceleration/range/handling

Admired the "tesla-killer" "500 Series" swagger ...jury still out

No pretense that I'm saving the planet.

Still on fence and ironically relieved i was late enough to the game not to be forced to make a 100k decision in the current climate.

Back