What is the best Tesla Adapter?

What happened was when I tried the Teslatap 80 with a Tesla home charger, Lucid said Preparing to Charge and was stuck. I have no idea if the problem was with Teslatap 40 vs 80 which look identical but higher current that I used or the Tesla home charger vs destination charger or a bug in my car's software. The pilot screen went blank and required a a reset to get it to work. I called Lucid Mobile service to come and check the logs and see what that happened.
I think I will buy the 80 amp unit any way. Still waiting for my Touring delivery so I will continue to watch what everyone says about their experiences. I would like to be able to charge to the max with a Tesla destination charger if I need it. More and more should do the 80 amp.

I think I will buy the 80 amp unit any way. Still waiting for my Touring delivery so I will continue to watch what everyone says about their experiences. I would like to be able to charge to the max with a Tesla destination charger if I need it. More and more should do the 80 amp.
I have 2 of the mini tap 80A adapters. I use them with Gen-1 and Gen-2 Tesla wall connectors at 80A. Aside for a tight fit, I have not had any problems with them. The newer redesigned 80A mini taps are supposed to have a better fit. Maybe with a better fit (on both ends), the ground pin may not break off and the Tesla connector can be removed more easily.

As for more and more Tesla Destination Chargers doing 80A, I don’t think that will happen, because they have reduced the maximum amperage of their latest J1772 Wall Connector to 40A. They were originally catering to Tesla vehicles with the destination chargers, but all the Teslas now don’t go above 48A.

Once I heard directly from Lucid that using any 3rd party device to charge can void the warranty it did not seem like a risk worth taking particularly after my pilot panel went blank and needed a special technician only reset to fix it.

Once I heard directly from Lucid that using any 3rd party device to charge can void the warranty it did not seem like a risk worth taking particularly after my pilot panel went blank and needed a special technician only reset to fix it.
Electrify America is not made by Lucid so it is a third-party device.

Same with 240V ChargePoint and many others...

Electrify America is not made by Lucid so it is a third-party device.

Same with 240V ChargePoint and many others...
Yeah, this is generally a CYA statement, so that *if* a 3rd party device causes issues they aren’t liable, but they’d have to prove it was due to the third party device. It’s been discussed here before.

That said, these Tesla adapters aren’t generally UL-rated or anything, so it is a little sketchy.

Yes, I visited our local Lucid Studio this week to ask some questions (I have an Air GT on order, but a ways out due to the Stealth option) and asked about using a Tesla home charger with an adapter. I was told quite ‘firmly’ that using any Tesla charger with any adapter would immediately void the warranty. That was enough to relieve me of any thoughts I had about giving it a try.

I've read through this thread and it seems like some adapters have issues with Tesla destination chargers and some with home chargers (aka Tesla Wall Connector). Is there consensus on what works well with the Tesla Wall Connector? I have one from my brief time with a Model S. I plan to replace with the Lucid version but I'm in no hurry since the bi-directional charging still isn't rolled out. Thx in advance!

Yes, I visited our local Lucid Studio this week to ask some questions (I have an Air GT on order, but a ways out due to the Stealth option) and asked about using a Tesla home charger with an adapter. I was told quite ‘firmly’ that using any Tesla charger with any adapter would immediately void the warranty. That was enough to relieve me of any thoughts I had about giving it a try.
I use it and it works flawlessly. There is no way they can blame your Tesla charger for anything as your car has no idea it's connected to a Tesla charger.

Now Lucid is telling customers to use that reset and it is public knowledge. However, unless the car is not driveable, it is better to do the other reset first.

Now Lucid is telling customers to use that reset and it is public knowledge. However, unless the car is not driveable, it is better to do the other reset first.
Sorry. The discussion here was about the Tesla Adapter. I responded incorrectly. I did try a Lectron device. It worked. I would use it at a hotel on a long distance trip if there is not DC fast charger available.

Back