What is the best Tesla Adapter?

tmilone103

Verified Owner
I have seen many users complain that their Tesla Tap's can get stuck and break when trying to remove it. Is there a new design that solves this? Is there a better adapter? I need to charge both a Tesla and the Lucid so I do not want to replace my Tesla charger on the wall just yet.

The other reason to use 80A is "If its not an 80 amp rated adapter DONT BUY IT. Tesla chargers vary up to 80 amps. If you use an adapter not rated to 80 amps and you make the mistake of using it on an 80 amp charger 2 things will almost certainly happen. It won't work or very expensive things will melt." The so-called UL rated Teslatap 80A mini apparently broke on repeated use.

The other reason to use 80A is "If its not an 80 amp rated adapter DONT BUY IT. Tesla chargers vary up to 80 amps. If you use an adapter not rated to 80 amps and you make the mistake of using it on an 80 amp charger 2 things will almost certainly happen. It won't work or very expensive things will melt." The so-called UL rated Teslatap 80A mini apparently broke on repeated use.
None of the minis are UL rated.

Oh that is UL rated? I thought it was not. I have that one, broke its own ground pin housing inside my car’s charging port. I was able to get it out luckily. I sent it to TeslaTap and requested a refund, as it turns out using any of these adapters can void the warranty for the charge port/DC to DC converter and HV battery. TeslaTap instead ignored my request, took them days to even respond to my email, didn’t reimburse me return shipping costs and then sent me a replacement one, and kept my $ instead of refunding me. I’ll keep it in the car but only if my only option is either Tesla destination charger or get stranded. I would not recommend buying anything from them.

I assumed “handle” meant both connector and handle. Could be wrong tho.
Those handles are off the shelf items and are generally UL rated. UL rating does not mean much as far the potential of ground pin breaking.

Those handles are off the shelf items and are generally UL rated. UL rating does not mean much as far the potential of ground pin breaking.
I agree. There are so many ways to pass UL. I am a EE with 2 MS degrees 1 in Power Electronics and instrumentation and one in VLSI design. My MS project was 3 has inverter and feedback loop for controf the speed of a DC motor and I worked for 2 years at a company collaborative with ABB to build electrnics to drive a massive electrical locomotive with 2 huge DC motors. For the high current, the contacts and the thickness of the conductor are very important. 240V is not really considered high voltage. I decided to get the 80A non UL rated version instead of the 50A UL rated one because the design is basically the same but a fatter conductor and contact heavy duty enough. Since this seems to be just a mechanical adapter, I was more concerned with getting a 50A UL rated non mini version and plug it to an 80A charger and face fire hazard.

I used the Lectron one from Amazon for ~ $ 160. It works really well and better than the cheaper ShockPoint one I tried and returned.

Lectron [Only for J1772 EVs Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter, Max 48 Amp & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors (Black)​

I agree. There are so many ways to pass UL. I am a EE with 2 MS degrees 1 in Power Electronics and instrumentation and one in VLSI design. My MS project was 3 has inverter and feedback loop for controf the speed of a DC motor and I worked for 2 years at a company collaborative with ABB to build electrnics to drive a massive electrical locomotive with 2 huge DC motors. For the high current, the contacts and the thickness of the conductor are very important. 240V is not really considered high voltage. I decided to get the 80A non UL rated version instead of the 50A UL rated one because the design is basically the same but a fatter conductor and contact heavy duty enough. Since this seems to be just a mechanical adapter, I was more concerned with getting a 50A UL rated non mini version and plug it to an 80A charger and face fire hazard.
Hari, is the 80 amp adapter you bought the one you had the problem with on your Pure?

Hari, is the 80 amp adapter you bought the one you had the problem with on your Pure?
Yes. I am not sure if the problem was because I tried using a Tesla home charger or will also be at any destination charger.

I used the Lectron one from Amazon for ~ $ 160. It works really well and better than the cheaper ShockPoint one I tried and returned.

Lectron [Only for J1772 EVs Tesla to J1772 Charging Adapter, Max 48 Amp & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connectors, Destination Chargers, and Mobile Connectors (Black)​

Been using the same one with no issues.

Yes. I am not sure if the problem was because I tried using a Tesla home charger or will also be at any destination charger.
What was the problem? I was ready to buy the 80 amp unit after reading your previous posts. DO you recommend it, or did you have a problem. I just want this stuff to work safely. I don't mind spending a $100 more. Thanks

What was the problem? I was ready to buy the 80 amp unit after reading your previous posts. DO you recommend it, or did you have a problem. I just want this stuff to work safely. I don't mind spending a $100 more. Thanks
What happened was when I tried the Teslatap 80 with a Tesla home charger, Lucid said Preparing to Charge and was stuck. I have no idea if the problem was with Teslatap 40 vs 80 which look identical but higher current that I used or the Tesla home charger vs destination charger or a bug in my car's software. The pilot screen went blank and required a a reset to get it to work. I called Lucid Mobile service to come and check the logs and see what that happened.

Back