What is enhanced vehicle wireless connectivity?

What is enhanced vehicle wireless connectivity and how much is Lucid charging for this?
I think you made a wrong turn. Here you go.

What is enhanced vehicle wireless connectivity and how much is Lucid charging for this?
Ostensibly Lucid is allowing themselves to charge for connectivity in the future, but nothing is being charged today.

Quoting my order confirmation;
"Some infotainment or connected vehicle features require enhanced vehicle wireless connectivity, which is included for the first year of ownership."​

Quoting my order confirmation;
"Some infotainment or connected vehicle features require enhanced vehicle wireless connectivity, which is included for the first year of ownership."​
Basically, LTE connectivity. Think of it as a cell phone data plan for your car. Otherwise, you will only be able to get online data when you are connected to WiFi.

Basically, LTE connectivity. Think of it as a cell phone data plan for your car. Otherwise, you will only be able to get online data when you are connected to WiFi.
Which would be cool... If they start to charge for this, I'll just use my phone as a WiFi hotsopt.

Which would be cool... If they start to charge for this, I'll just use my phone as a WiFi hotsopt.
Yes, you will likely be able to go that route.

They have not yet said if/when they will start charging. My guess is it will be after the first year. But we haven't heard any of the OG Dreamers say they have been getting charged yet. Then again, they are Dreamers, so Lucid could very well never charge them.

Data costs money, so I can see why Lucid won't offer it for free forever. But when they do start charging, it will likely be $5 or $10 per month.

Personally, that's cheap enough that I don't bother using my phone as a hotspot with my Tesla. But that's up to each individual owner.

They have not yet said if/when they will start charging. My guess is it will be after the first year. But we haven't heard any of the OG Dreamers say they have been getting charged yet. Then again, they are Dreamers, so Lucid could very well never charge them.

Data costs money, so I can see why Lucid won't offer it for free forever. But when they do start charging, it will likely be $5 or $10 per month.

Personally, that's cheap enough that I don't bother using my phone as a hotspot with my Tesla. But that's up to each individual owner.
One thing I do hope they continue is OTA updates over LTE. Tesla eventually forced that to be WiFi only. With the giant, multi-GB downloads required for OTA updates, I get it. But the WiFi situation in my parking garage sucks, so I do hope Lucid allows OTA over LTE forever.

One thing I do hope they continue is OTA updates over LTE. Tesla eventually forced that to be WiFi only. With the giant, multi-GB downloads required for OTA updates, I get it. But the WiFi situation in my parking garage sucks, so I do hope Lucid allows OTA over LTE forever.
No way will that happen (unfortunately). When 2G became obsolete, and carriers stopped supported it, drivers with 2G systems were stranded as many car companies did not offer an upgraade or upgrade path. Same thing with 3G. I fear the same thing may happen with LTE which is already being passed by 5G.

No way will that happen (unfortunately). When 2G became obsolete, and carriers stopped supported it, drivers with 2G systems were stranded as many car companies did not offer an upgraade or upgrade path. Same thing with 3G. I fear the same thing may happen with LTE which is already being passed by 5G.
Which is why Carplay and upgradable modems are important.

LTE is not going anywhere in the lifetime of this car. At least not in the lifetime I will own it. Yes, 5G is widespread now, but it took quite a while for 3G to actually disappear.

I agree, every technology eventually goes the way of the do do. My hope is that Lucid keeps letting you do OTA via the car's built-in data connection—whatever that connection may be. I don't want to have to hunt down WiFi just to do an update, is all I'm saying.

The WiFi in my parking complex is spotty, to say the least. It also requires log in via a captive portal, which Tesla still does not support. Not sure if Lucid does. In other words, you can't just log in with a password. You need to bring up a web sheet and tap "connect". Like you see in many coffee shops. And the car simply can't do that. I've lobbied the folks who run the garage to change the system, but I might as well be asking an ice berg not to melt.

Tesla is too busy trying to get cars to stop steering into cyclists to bother with one of the simplest, most common WiFi log in methods. Would probably take an intern a weekend to do. Go figure.

I've worked around it by buying a small router that I plug into the Tesla's USB port. Then, I connect to the router via my phone, which prompts me with the "connect" page. And then once the router has actual access, the car can connect to it and WiFi works. That's a ton of steps, and it's a PITA. Not to mention, the connection only holds for a few hours before the system forces you to log in again.

If Lucid drops support for OTA updates via the car's data plan, I hope they at least make the WiFi capabilities more robust. Little things like that go a long way to building brand loyalty.

I was told by my SA that the Air can be a hotspot. It will be useful for my wife’s iPad.

Back