We are charging all wrong

Sandvinsd

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Grand Touring
It is just a matter of time before they change the TOU schedules to make one charge during the day. I’ve been saying this for some time… charging at night will become expensive.

It's a bit of a mess that will continue to change. With the CPUC's recent rate schedule change for solar customers, new solar installation will be discouraged, possibly challenging the research's assumptions.

It is just a matter of time before they change the TOU schedules to make one charge during the day. I’ve been saying this for some time… charging at night will become expensive.

Great to hear that I've been doing it right all along - free charging at work (90% of my charging) and the remaining 10% at EA sites near my house (south Bay) - all during the day.

Ha! They already do! SCE (Southern California, Edison ) TOU is higher by a few cents after 9pm than from 8AM to 4PM. 4PM to 9PM is still the most expensive.

This is BS though. There’s no way all employers, gas/charging stations will have enough charging infra to deal with that surge for day time charging and quick enough. This recommended change in behavior is not a substitute for thinking about and investing in generation capacity and smart energy storage/grids for the future. EV adoption should become a natural choice, not an over complicated mess

This is all subjective to the grid you’re on, where to live and the overall concept of load balancing. This argument is more applicable to Texas/Cali than it is to Florida for example. Heck, Orlando doesn’t even have peak hours in my area.

Also, V2L could help remove this in its entirety due to providing a solid way to load balance spikes.

Back