VW investing up to 5 billion in Rivian.. per NY Times

As an R1T owner, I am not surprised by another company that is buying Rivian's software. It's the best software out of any car I've ever had. I like it better than Tesla's, it's far superior to BMW's, and Audi's is hot garbage so it's smart for VW to throw relatively small dollars into Rivian to secure decent software.

I’m riding the sunk-cost fallacy hard.
I’m riding the sunk-cost fallacy hard.
Seriously, I think Rivian has a future. I like to car and I like the company's leadership.

I own both Lucid and Rivian shares.

I can't say the same for Lucid. I think Lucid needs a management change.

Gravity is a decent proposition. However, I think the multitude of new Rivian offers, together with Hyundai, will significantly marginalize Gravity. The R1/R2/R3 offerings, building on a proven R1 platform, will dominate. My sense is, Gravity is too little, too late!

There are two separate sets of issues with Lucid SW. First, what comes with the car doesn't always work or work well. Without going on a rant and repeating many of the issues cited in this forum, just think about the backup camera. I find the Lucid navigation system clumsy and unreliable.

Your statement "Apply Carplay fills in a lot of the gap" says it all!
Even if Lucid improved these features, I wouldn’t use it. I prefer CarPlay. It’s a waste of resources when Apple can provide this.

Only thing Lucid is lacking is sentry mode, dadhcam mode. Not a big deal. Perhaps next generation will get these. I dont need to know technical data that Rivian provides. Air is a luxury tourer, not an off roader like Rivian- though I bet you only 5% really take it off road.

Bugs are getting fixed.

Gravity improvements should trickle down.

Seriously, I think Rivian has a future. I like to car and I like the company's leadership.

I own both Lucid and Rivian shares.

I can't say the same for Lucid. I think Lucid needs a management change.

Gravity is a decent proposition. However, I think the multitude of new Rivian offers, together with Hyundai, will significantly marginalize Gravity. The R1/R2/R3 offerings, building on a proven R1 platform, will dominate. My sense is, Gravity is too little, too late!
R2 isn’t coming till 2026 at least, R3 is much later- 2028. By then, Lucid will have the Air, Gravity and midsize. Also, Lucid is well ahead of Rivian in infrastructure build up. You can’t compare like that. What Lucid needs is better marketing. But the Gravity SUV should help with that. No one really wants expensive sedans.

Personally, I just don’t like the headlights on the Rivian, looks comical.

Even if Lucid improved these features, I wouldn’t use it. I prefer CarPlay. It’s a waste of resources when Apple can provide this.

Only thing Lucid is lacking is sentry mode, dadhcam mode. Not a big deal. Perhaps next generation will get these. I dont need to know technical data that Rivian provides. Air is a luxury tourer, not an off roader like Rivian- though I bet you only 5% really take it off road.

Bugs are getting fixed.

Gravity improvements should trickle down.

I've heard this a lot about carplay. In my wife's BMW carplay is constantly giving me errors. I just don't get the same software experience with carplay that I do with the Rivian system. It doesn't work very well IMO.

R2 isn’t coming till 2026 at least, R3 is much later- 2028. By then, Lucid will have the Air, Gravity and midsize. Also, Lucid is well ahead of Rivian in infrastructure build up. You can’t compare like that. What Lucid needs is better marketing. But the Gravity SUV should help with that. No one really wants expensive sedans.

As far as 3 row EV-SUV goes, Rivian and Hyundai (and its associated brands) are already there! Yes, R2 and R3 will come a bit later; that is, if Gravity still stays on schedule. I think Gravity has its own merits. But I think Lucid will have a hell of a time to compete on cost (price), quality, feature, service, software etc..

Rivian (the R series alone) has 6-7X the volume of Lucid. Lucid does not have the economy of scale and questionable whether it can command a premium given its history.

As a lucid stock holder, I hope you are right. But I am skeptical!

Rivian already has sold 40K+ SUV's that are Gravity's size. They are on their second generation R1S. I get the styling isn't for everyone, but that applies to Gravity too with the people here talking about how it reminds them of a minivan.

As far as 3 row EV-SUV goes, Rivian and Hyundai (and its associated brands) are already there! Yes, R2 and R3 will come a bit later; that is, if Gravity still stays on schedule. I think Gravity has its own merits. But I think Lucid will have a hell of a time to compete on cost (price), quality, feature, service, software etc..

Rivian (the R series alone) has 6-7X the volume of Lucid. Lucid does not have the economy of scale and questionable whether it can command a premium given its history.

As a lucid stock holder, I hope you are right. But I am skeptical!
From someone who was all in on Gravity I’m actually questioning whether I continue to buy into the brand based on the slow down of OTA’s, lack of promises on DDPro and Lucid’s refusal to just be upfront and communicate with its customers.

Rivian is now a serious contender based on how aggressive they have been with the refresh and continued software improvements. Shows me that they move quickly based on customers demand / needs.

I think the Gravity looks better than the R1S but the price point Lucid is going to charge, its a lot of money to hand over if a bunch of promises of coming soon after release that never actually happen occur like they did with the Air.

Seriously, the Gravity will be out before anything seems to get added to DDPro. Which is pretty embarrassing on Lucid’s part.

its probably behind a pay wall, but https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/25/...ian-vw-investment.html?searchResultPosition=1

"VW and Rivian, a maker of electric trucks that has struggled to increase sales and break even, will work together on software and other technologies."

"Volkswagen said it would initially invest $1 billion in a new joint venture, and over time increase that to as much as $5 billion. The infusion represents a big vote of confidence in Rivian, which loses tens of thousands of dollars on each vehicle it sells."

Losing "tens of thousands" per vehicle? Ha! Chickenfeed!!

Rivian already has sold 40K+ SUV's that are Gravity's size. They are on their second generation R1S. I get the styling isn't for everyone, but that applies to Gravity too with the people here talking about how it reminds them of a minivan.

I'm not personally familiar with the R1S, but I thought the Gravity was significantly larger? I've heard the Gravity has the exterior dimensions of the Q7 or X7 and the interior dimensions of a Yukon/Suburban. Is the R1S that large?

Last edited:
I'm not personally familiar with the R1S, but I thought the Gravity was significantly larger? I've heard the Gravity has the exterior dimensions of the Q7 or X7 and the interior dimensions of a Yukon/Suburban. Is the R1S that large?
Nope, on the exterior, the R1S is about the same size! (Slightly different)

Back