Video: Ep 1. There's No Defying Gravity The Road to Gravity

Tâm

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
Referral Code
ZAJRISAL
What's that popping-up white disc on top of the front roof?

Screenshot 2024-05-10 100722.png

Likely just a onboard camera for testing... or could it be a LiDar unit?
Camera, external lidar for calibrating the onboard lidar, something like that. Definitely just some kind of sensor mounted up there for development/testing purposes.

We're almost at the 6-month mark since Lucid revealed the Gravity at the L.A. Auto show . . . or, put another way, about halfway to the promised late-2024 start of deliveries.

I'm assuming the next thing we'll see publicly are pre-production units in the hands of select auto journalists, accompanied by or soon followed by release of the vehicle's final specs. The "Road to Gravity" video suggests those pre-production units might already be making their way through the factory.

Six to seven months before first deliveries is not that long a time. I wonder when the order books will open up for the Gravity and what the pecking order will be for access to Dream Editions if they're going to be a limited run. It feels as if time is drawing nigh for taking at least Dream deposits. I know many buyers will want to see final specs before making decisions between trim levels, but I have a feeling most Dream buyers will be less concerned with that as the Dreams will probably be fully-optioned. Decisions about the choices regarding colors and wheels can be made at order configuration, as they were with the Air Dreams.

C'mon, Lucid. Gettin' itchy here. And these teasers ain't helping.

We're almost at the 6-month mark since Lucid revealed the Gravity at the L.A. Auto show . . . or, put another way, about halfway to the promised late-2024 start of deliveries.

I'm assuming the next thing we'll see publicly are pre-production units in the hands of select auto journalists, accompanied by or soon followed by release of the vehicle's final specs. The "Road to Gravity" video suggests those pre-production units might already be making their way through the factory.

Six to seven months before first deliveries is not that long a time. I wonder when the order books will open up for the Gravity and what the pecking order will be for access to Dream Editions if they're going to be a limited run. It feels as if time is drawing nigh for taking at least Dream deposits. I know many buyers will want to see final specs before making decisions between trim levels, but I have a feeling most Dream buyers will be less concerned with that as the Dreams will probably be fully-optioned. Decisions about the choices regarding colors and wheels can be made at order configuration, as they were with the Air Dreams.

C'mon, Lucid. Gettin' itchy here. And these teasers ain't helping.

It’s very intentional, I gather. They don’t want another “dump” of cancellations because of the deposit is low and refundable.

It’s very intentional, I gather. They don’t want another “dump” of cancellations because of the deposit is low and refundable.

I'm sure it's intentional, as the Gravity does seem to be on track. While Air Dream deposits were refundable, they were $25,000, and that probably minimized the number of deposits from people who weren't sure of their interest. Also, Lucid had much less of a track record behind it when Air deposits were being taken. This time, people can be much more confident they'll be getting a vehicle from a company that has proven it can engineer, design, and build truly great cars.

I understand not taking deposits years ahead as Lucid did with the Air, but taking deposits six months out on a new model is much more in the mainstream of industry practice, especially for a limited production run. I have done so with several cars over the years.

While Air Dream deposits were refundable, they were $25,000

Not for me. Mine was $500 because I ordered a GT and then got off the waitlist for the DE. I don’t know how many people did the $25k deposit.

But I hear what you’re saying. I don’t have all the context, obviously, so I suppose we’ll just have to see!

What's that popping-up white disc on top of the front roof?

View attachment 20562
My guess would be a very high fidelity GPS.

One in the front, and one in the back. Allows them to measure slip angle of the car. One you measure them, you can create algorithms based on multiple onboard sensors to infer what the cars slip angle is. Combine all this info and program the traction control systems for when the car doesn't have the high fidelity GPS.

Info on slip angle:

Perfect time to do this type of data gathering would be on a racetrack. The one in the video is Thunderhill west, just 3 hrs north of Lucid HQ.

Back