USB Media Guidelines and Tips!

I also had a USB stick not work on the Air, I think because of wearout and resulting errors. Bought a new one, formatted it the same way, and it worked fine.
I tried a couple new ones, they didn't work... but the SanDisk ones seem to work. Now my only remaining issue is sometimes the track order gets jumbled.. even though they are numbered. Head scratcher.
Thanks
 
sent my 2nd Gen iPod to a place in California to have more memory added, and now it seamlessly serves my '23 pure AWD as a jukebox- that is the best thing I ever did sound/music-wise.... No commercials and a pretty detailed interface on screen...
 
Has anyone had success with M4P files? I finally got my USB to kinda work, but have to do an Air logo reset after the car sleeps or it hangs at the 10% load stage as others have experienced. I have a 128GB Samsung USB (the ones that Tesla used to aggressively recommend) so I don't think the USB itself is the issue. I was going to continue troubleshooting this, but if others are also regularly doing a logo reset, maybe this is as good as I should expect. Below is a file count of what I have on the drive now. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

329 m4p
290 m4a
6 mp3

TL;DNR (from my ChatGPT/Terminal collaboration)
Vendor ID: 0x090c (Silicon Motion, Inc. - Taiwan)
Version: 11.00
Speed: Up to 5 Gb/s
Manufacturer: Samsung
Removable Media: Yes
Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified USB
Capacity: 128.32 GB
Free: 124.23 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: MS-DOS FAT32 BSD
 
Has anyone had success with M4P files?
M4P is Apple's proprietary format - it's what you'd get when you bought an iTunes download during the iPod era. It's got FairPlay DRM on it, which was such a pain Apple eventually threw their hands up and stopped using it.

Unless you convert them to M4A or MP3, it's almost certainly not going to work on a third party player, and it's probably where you're running into trouble with your USB.

You used to have to "crack" the DRM but these days I'm pretty sure you can just do this using the Apple Music app itself, by loading them into the library and going File > Convert > Create M4A version (specify what you want to convert it to using the Preference > File > Import settings).
 
M4P is Apple's proprietary format - it's what you'd get when you bought an iTunes download during the iPod era. It's got FairPlay DRM on it, which was such a pain Apple eventually threw their hands up and stopped using it.

Unless you convert them to M4A or MP3, it's almost certainly not going to work on a third party player, and it's probably where you're running into trouble with your USB.

You used to have to "crack" the DRM but these days I'm pretty sure you can just do this using the Apple Music app itself, by loading them into the library and going File > Convert > Create M4A version (specify what you want to convert it to using the Preference > File > Import settings).
Thanks!
 
M4P is Apple's proprietary format - it's what you'd get when you bought an iTunes download during the iPod era. It's got FairPlay DRM on it, which was such a pain Apple eventually threw their hands up and stopped using it.

Unless you convert them to M4A or MP3, it's almost certainly not going to work on a third party player, and it's probably where you're running into trouble with your USB.

You used to have to "crack" the DRM but these days I'm pretty sure you can just do this using the Apple Music app itself, by loading them into the library and going File > Convert > Create M4A version (specify what you want to convert it to using the Preference > File > Import settings).
The troubleshooting continues. I removed all of the M4P files so all I have are M4A and MP3 files, but ended up in the same situation. Loading hung at 10% and then got the standard message about confirming the drive/data. After an Air logo reboot, we were good to go. I didn't copy across any of Apple's organizational folders so it's just a flat directory of song files, I deleted all the Spotlight index files Apple adds, etc, so there must be something else going on. I wouldn't think 450 files and less than 4GB would cause such issues, but here we are. Any other ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
 
Hmm. It can't be the size, I've got 86GB. I do use the ARTIST / ALBUM / 01 Track Name folder convention, same as Apple does I think, and that works for me. You could try that? Not sure why it would make a difference.

Looks like you're formatted FAT32 which is right. Is there some sort of hidden file in a weird format Lucid doesn't like? Or a filename- you mentioned you're on a Mac, so do make sure you don't have any weird characters in your filenames- slashes included- Macs allow them but PCs don't play nice.

Only other thing I can think of if it doesn't like your USB itself or how you're connecting it..
 
The troubleshooting continues. I removed all of the M4P files so all I have are M4A and MP3 files, but ended up in the same situation. Loading hung at 10% and then got the standard message about confirming the drive/data. After an Air logo reboot, we were good to go. I didn't copy across any of Apple's organizational folders so it's just a flat directory of song files, I deleted all the Spotlight index files Apple adds, etc, so there must be something else going on. I wouldn't think 450 files and less than 4GB would cause such issues, but here we are. Any other ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
I agree that it can’t be the size. I have nearly 1TB of mostly flac, and some mp3 with artist\album\trackname structure. Didn’t use Apple Music—used Jriver to organize and convert. Plays flawlessly.
 
I can attest that this outfit (below) configured my old IPOD classic to 2TB new board and a new battery for $500. This was six years ago and it still seamlessly allows me a jukebox of 10K+ songs visible and searchable on my Lucid Air Pure AWD 2023 on the USB selection. Super great to hear songs without interruptions...

PiratePT Electronics LLC 73 Pennebrook Lane, Carmel, New York 10512, United States​

(845) 520-6781
 
Back
Top