U.S. News 2023 EQS vs Air H2H

I agree with this comparison. When I was shopping last year, EQS ranked #3 for me but was really impressed with the interior and the augmented reality interface. I did find it funny that the review says Android Auto was standard on the Air 😋

I agree with this comparison. When I was shopping last year, EQS ranked #3 for me but was really impressed with the interior and the augmented reality interface. I did find it funny that the review says Android Auto was standard on the Air 😋
is someday will be.

I guess that’s what happens when you read a marketing web site instead of looking for a feature yourself.

But we have both!
I agree. I thought the article was a good comparison. But I also think there are different definitions of “posh interior.” To me, Lucid is closer to the old German concept of luxury than any of the German brands are now. They are much too opulent for my taste.

Lucid has the perfect balance of minimalism married to fine materials. Like a more upscale Scandinavian approach. Understated.

The Mercedes screams “Look how rich I am!” at you.

But we have both!
Yes, but. No, but. Yes, but. 😜

The Lucid is drivers performance car, with a great interior. The Merc is a posh, push the boat out, gaudy faux living room with wheels.

At night I look for excuses to go "out for a drive" in my AT. For me, the operative word is drive.

The Lucid is drivers performance car, with a great interior. The Merc is a posh, push the boat out, gaudy faux living room with wheels.

At night I look for excuses to go "out for a drive" in my AT. For me, the operative word is drive.
If you’re ever in CA, please let me buy you a beer. We’d get along.

If you’re ever in CA, please let me buy you a beer. We’d get along.

Ditto in Scottsdale. Why would one ever spend six digits on a car with this much horsepower and driving technology to drive it like a 1960s Cadillac (a cruiser). There are plenty of luxurious cars that will satisfy that itch for a lot less money.

One of my biggest gripes with my EQS was I didn’t enjoy driving it. It actually made me drowsy on long trips as opposed to my AGT.

Neighbor had an EQ less than 6 months. Loved the interior but couldn’t stand the car overall. He was very dissatisfied with service/charging/ and multiple glitches.

Well, I am going to chime in, and the following is MY OPINION only, so no need to tell me that I am wrong! I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. 🤣

We own both a Dream Edition Performance, mine, and an AMG EQS, my wife's. I realize that these are different cars than what were reviewed but some things are the same.

First, the AMG EQS is the only EQS that I could stand to drive. Both the 450+ and 580 are terrible, IMHO.

Now my comments:

Reliability - We have had no issues with the EQS and the fit and finish upon delivery was much better than my DE. The DEs were very early builds so you could say that Lucid was still working the production bugs out, but my guess is that the Dream Edition cars were very well inspected. We have a lot more miles on the Lucid, but the EQS has not needed any repairs. Having said that, my wife has a 2017 SL-450 that we have has a few issues with.

Seat Comfort - I would agree that the Lucid seats are more comfortable.

Cargo Space - The Lucid has a frunk, which I do like, however I find that the hatchback makes the rear space more usable in the EQS.

Interior Quality - I would have to give the edge to the EQS but I like the Lucid interior better and my wife loves the EQS screens and interior. The EQS is quieter than my Lucid and has very little motor whine.

Interior Features - The EQS, hands down. Physical buttons for lots of things and the same functions on the screens. The best HUD that I have ever seen. Much better software but way too many menu levels. The "Mercedes ME" voice system works very well. I think that the sound system is better in the EQS. The EQS also has very good Android Auto integration.

Acceleration - No contest! The Dream Edition eats the EQS's lunch all day long and the AMG EQS is not a slow car!

Driving Range - I have the DE Performance so not the longest range but I do get at least 100 miles more than the EQS. The EQS seems to get more than the EPA rating and reports the % or miles left much more accurately than the Lucid. My Lucid doesn't come close to the EPA rating but again it does have significantly more range than the EQS.

Ride and Handling - I like the Lucid ride better but the air suspension in the EQS gives it an edge on big bumps. The AMG version of the EQS does handle very well but I think that the DE handles better. The EQS allows you to customize the "drive modes", which is nice but not something we use.

Safety
- I have no idea. I might give the EQS an edge just because Mercedes has been building cars for a long time?

The Winner Is... - I like my Lucid better but really want the better software of the EQS. My wife likes her EQS better. :)

Not in the review but I have been happier with Lucid's service than the Mercedes dealers in the Houston area.

Well, I am going to chime in, and the following is MY OPINION only, so no need to tell me that I am wrong! I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. 🤣

We own both a Dream Edition Performance, mine, and an AMG EQS, my wife's. I realize that these are different cars than what were reviewed but some things are the same.

First, the AMG EQS is the only EQS that I could stand to drive. Both the 450+ and 580 are terrible, IMHO.

Now my comments:

Reliability - We have had no issues with the EQS and the fit and finish upon delivery was much better than my DE. The DEs were very early builds so you could say that Lucid was still working the production bugs out, but my guess is that the Dream Edition cars were very well inspected. We have a lot more miles on the Lucid, but the EQS has not needed any repairs. Having said that, my wife has a 2017 SL-450 that we have has a few issues with.

Seat Comfort - I would agree that the Lucid seats are more comfortable.

Cargo Space - The Lucid has a frunk, which I do like, however I find that the hatchback makes the rear space more usable in the EQS.

Interior Quality - I would have to give the edge to the EQS but I like the Lucid interior better and my wife loves the EQS screens and interior. The EQS is quieter than my Lucid and has very little motor whine.

Interior Features - The EQS, hands down. Physical buttons for lots of things and the same functions on the screens. The best HUD that I have ever seen. Much better software but way too many menu levels. The "Mercedes ME" voice system works very well. I think that the sound system is better in the EQS. The EQS also has very good Android Auto integration.

Acceleration - No contest! The Dream Edition eats the EQS's lunch all day long and the AMG EQS is not a slow car!

Driving Range - I have the DE Performance so not the longest range but I do get at least 100 miles more than the EQS. The EQS seems to get more than the EPA rating and reports the % or miles left much more accurately than the Lucid. My Lucid doesn't come close to the EPA rating but again it does have significantly more range than the EQS.

Ride and Handling - I like the Lucid ride better but the air suspension in the EQS gives it an edge on big bumps. The AMG version of the EQS does handle very well but I think that the DE handles better. The EQS allows you to customize the "drive modes", which is nice but not something we use.

Safety - I have no idea. I might give the EQS an edge just because Mercedes has been building cars for a long time?

The Winner Is... - I like my Lucid better but really want the better software of the EQS. My wife likes her EQS better. :)

Not in the review but I have been happier with Lucid's service than the Mercedes dealers in the Houston area.
That is a great, objective write up!

What is great about this writeup, IMO, is that it gives the reader a chance to determine which features are most important to her and then select the car based on that and it seems to be a very, very fair review. Kudos!

Great writeup!

The EQS seems to get more than the EPA rating and reports the % or miles left much more accurately than the Lucid. My Lucid doesn't come close to the EPA rating but again it does have significantly more range than the EQS.
This part is somewhat misleading; I would just ignore the EPA rating entirely here, as they use different tests between Mercedes and Lucid, so you're not comparing apples to apples.

The range numbers themselves, of course, are worth comparing.

Great writeup!

This part is somewhat misleading; I would just ignore the EPA rating entirely here, as they use different tests between Mercedes and Lucid, so you're not comparing apples to apples.

The range numbers themselves, of course, are worth comparing.
I'm still in the opposite boat here where my 580 EQS had more range than my Lucid (small margin). Both have been stressed from 100% to almost 0% battery a few times with consistent results and similar driving speeds/habits. The drag coefs and the batteries are basically around the same specs/side and really should be on par with each other when driving the same in both vehicles. I did not have the AMG EQS though.

With that being said, the Extended Range Premium Mach-E (19" wheels) I just purchased has been performantly blowing away my AGT. I'm averaging 3.7 mi/kWh on it while my Lucid is averaging 3.0 mi/kWh. I, personally, have gotten worse than I expected range on not just my Lucid but each of the rentals I've had as well (being fairly consistent and ranging in tire sizes).

That's not to say it's terrible, but it's well underperforming from what's advertised.

EPA numbers are useless IMO.

Last edited:
I'm still in the opposite boat here where my 580 EQS had more range than my Lucid (small margin). Both have been stressed from 100% to almost 0% battery a few times with consistent results and similar driving speeds/habits. The drag coefs and the batteries are basically around the same specs/side and really should be on par with each other when driving the same in both vehicles. I did not have the AMG EQS though.

With that being said, the Extended Range Premium Mach-E (19" wheels) I just purchased has been performantly blowing away my AGT. I'm averaging 3.7 mi/kWh on it while my Lucid is averaging 3.0 mi/kWh. I, personally, have gotten worse than I expected range on not just my Lucid but each of the rentals I've had as well (being fairly consistent and ranging in tire sizes).

That's not to say it's terrible, but it's well underperforming from what's advertised.

EPA numbers are useless IMO.
I agree EPA numbers are useless, especially for comparison.

I wonder why there’s such a big difference? Do you drive them differently? In what modes? What wheels?

I’ve gotten great range when I want to, even on the 21s, at or around 3.9-4.2. But usually I’m getting 2.7-3 because I’m gunning around having a good time lol, and almost always in Swift at a minimum

Back