Turtle Mode ruins the road trip

Yikes,

Pretty unfortunate experience. I planned a road trip from NYC to Austin, Texas for the last six months. I got the Lucid in part to make lengthy road trips like that since it’s supposed to be the ultimate driving experience.

And in the last six months I’ve had it, it was.

I’ve shown this car off to everyone; my family, my friends. I've recommended it to anyone who was interested at stoplights, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. Explained how Lucid has the best technology, smallest motors, and supposed best efficiency. Likely won't be doing that anymore.

The night before the trip, I charged to full. I was having issues where the charging would stop randomly and only restart when I opened the app. Didn't think much of it.

Anyway, just started the trip and it was going well. I had just barely made it out of NY, just getting into New Jersey. I’m get on NJ turnpike and, anyone who’s driven on the turnpike knows, everyone’s basically driving 90 MPH. So I'm swimming thru traffic, having a little fun. Suddenly I get a Turtle Mode Reduced Power notification on the dash. Vehicle speed started rapidly falling from 90... 80... at this point I knew I was in danger (I've seen posts that said 36 mph would be the top speed)... so I attempt to get over from the right lane to the left lane shoulder. Speed still dropping... 70... 60... I make it to the shoulder and I'm capped at 52 mph. Great. So I make a complete stop and immediately call Customer Service.

Now, I’ve been on the forums before. I’ve done my research. I lowkey knew this was coming eventually, I just kinda wish it was on the second half of the trip or something.

Originally, I planned to have a car full of people, three friends and my sister. Luckily, it was only me and my sister that ended up on the trip. How embarrassing would that have been. 🙄

Customer service was exceptional though. Ended up being a rear drive unit failure or something. They replaced the unit fairly quickly and I got the car back today after 10 days. But just knowing it can still happen again after reading a recent post on here leaves a gross taste in my mouth. Never sold a car before so I'll have to research that process.

that sucks. and being on a road trip this week myself, the thought is out there (except i'm nowhere near a lucid repair facility!). i mentioned to a friend that it feels odd that i haven't done ANY maintenance (like check the oil, check the airfilter, coolant, etc). which also then reminds me that scary as 'turtle mode' can be - ice machines are not immune to hard failures! from failed water pumps to transmissions to thrown rods - (sh) it can happen. only diff is on an ice care, there's a chance i can repair it!

Crappy situation, for sure. However, I don't think anyone who has had their RDU replaced has had a second one fail? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the person who got Turtle Mode for the 2nd time had the HV battery replaced the first time and the RDU the second. Thankfully, I have not been in that situation (knock, knock), but selling your car out of fear, after having driven it without issue for 6 months, seems drastic to me.

Yikes,

Pretty unfortunate experience. I planned a road trip from NYC to Austin, Texas for the last six months. I got the Lucid in part to make lengthy road trips like that since it’s supposed to be the ultimate driving experience.

I’ve shown this car off to everyone; my family, my friends. I've recommended it to anyone who was interested at stoplights, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. Explained how Lucid has the best technology, smallest motors, and supposed best efficiency. Likely won't be doing that anymore.

The night before the trip, I charged to full. I was having issues where the charging would stop randomly and only restart when I opened the app. Didn't think much of it.

Anyway, just started the trip and it was going well. I had just barely made it out of NY, just getting into New Jersey. I’m get on NJ turnpike and, anyone who’s driven on the turnpike knows, everyone’s basically driving 90 MPH. So I'm swimming thru traffic, having a little fun. Suddenly I get a Turtle Mode Reduced Power notification on the dash. Vehicle speed started rapidly falling from 90... 80... at this point I knew I was in danger (I've seen posts that said 36 mph would be the top speed)... so I attempt to get over from the right lane to the left lane shoulder. Speed still dropping... 70... 60... I make it to the shoulder and I'm capped at 52 mph. Great. So I make a complete stop and immediately call Customer Service.

Now, I’ve been on the forums before. I’ve done my research. I lowkey knew this was coming eventually, I just kinda wish it was on the second half of the trip or something.

Originally, I planned to have a car full of people, three friends and my sister. Luckily, it was only me and my sister that ended up on the trip. How embarrassing would that have been. 🙄

Customer service was exceptional though. Ended up being a rear drive unit failure or something. They replaced the unit fairly quickly and I got the car back today after 10 days. But just knowing it can still happen again after reading a recent post on here leaves a gross taste in my mouth. Never sold a car before so I'll have to research that process.
Have you sold every car that's had a major repair done under warranty as well?

But just knowing it can still happen again after reading a recent post on here leaves a gross taste in my mouth.
This has never happened. Don’t overthink it. The only situation in which anyone has run into it twice was when they ran into it on their own car, and then ran into it on a loaner while they awaited their repair.

Embarrassing and annoying, sure, but nobody has run into the issue twice on the same car. Once it’s fixed, it seems it’s fixed.

That is a real bummer. If it is a know issue is it fixed for good on latest cars being produced, especially if the fix for this will not make it happen again?

That is a real bummer. If it is a know issue is it fixed for good on latest cars being produced, especially if the fix for this will not make it happen again?
I'm not sure about cars produced now, but it can definitely happen again "fixed" cars

Let's hope that surveillance/active diagnostics will be implemented to identify faulty or possibly faulty equipment or system problems in our cars before they strand anyone.

I'm not sure about cars produced now, but it can definitely happen again "fixed" cars
The second part of your statement hasn’t occurred, to our knowledge, ever. Once fixed, nobody has had a recurrence on the same vehicle. While anything *can* happen, it hasn’t yet.

I do know that newer builds are getting the new battery packs and Wunderboxes with the moved components, so that issue is happening less frequently.

The second part of your statement hasn’t occurred, to our knowledge, ever. Once fixed, nobody has had a recurrence on the same vehicle. While anything *can* happen, it hasn’t yet.

I do know that newer builds are getting the new battery packs and Wunderboxes with the moved components, so that issue is happening less frequently.

It has occurred. Not sure how much Lucid is paying you to constantly post these unctuous comments but it must be very lucrative.

Turtle Mode came back up on my vehicle just yesterday. It limited me to 52 mph again at the very end of a trip. Luckily, with the roads I was on this time, it wasn't as dangerous. This time it was temporary and putting it into park and drive repeatedly cleared the issue. I don't plan on trusting this vehicle ever again.

Thanks for the reminder to contact customer service. Good day.

It has occurred. Not sure how much Lucid is paying you to constantly post these unctuous comments but it must be very lucrative.
Rude, unnecessary, and uncalled for. This is your final warning.

And, to answer your ludicrous question, I am here only because I try to help as best I can. I get paid nothing by Lucid or the forum.

Turtle Mode came back up on my vehicle just yesterday. It limited me to 52 mph again at the very end of a trip. Luckily, with the roads I was on this time, it wasn't as dangerous. This time it was temporary and putting it into park and drive repeatedly cleared the issue. I don't plan on trusting this vehicle ever again.
And when was the first time? Did you have a battery/Wunderbox or drive unit replacement? If you’ve gotten the system failure twice on one vehicle after a repair you’d be the first we’d heard of.

Have a great day!

Had Turtle mode once, when our delivery guy pulled the car out of the showroom for us to take. They kept the car, gave us a loaner and delivered it to my home 2 days later. I felt lucky as it was actually raining in Southern AZ that day, and I could have been stuck somewhere on I-10 heading from Scottsdale to Tucson. We also got to experiment with their car before getting ours.

Yikes,

So you are on the Jersey turnpike when your car stops. You called customer care and got it back ten days later. My question is what happened after it came to a halt. Did you wait for a tow? Did they bring you a loaner? How long did you have to wait? Etc.

I’m sorry you went through this experience but it appears that some people are ready to give up on an EV more so than with legacy vehicle. I hope this is not the case. I have just completed a successful road trip, posted to this forum. Leading up to the trip, we had few issues with the vehicle but appeared to go away with the OTA updates. Hang in there…

Why so imply bribery? Sorry this happened to you but cars DO break down. Even many ICE cars have been lemmoned! Get rid of your car if you don't trust it but I'm keeping mine and waiting for the Gravity as a second Lucid in our garage. My car has been PHENOMENAL!

Please don't think that way.
The mods are just car enthusiasts who volunteer to moderate.
I still remember @borski chiming in at odd hours while on his honeymoon. He was only a forum member at the time, trying to help.
From what I know, the mods are highly accomplished individuals and I doubt that Lucid , or anyone for that matter, can buy their integrity,
And like the rest of us, they have their own quirks, too.
For the record, I'm not getting paid by anyone for this post, which is only my subjective opinion.

Last edited:
I recall the night (Xmas day evening in fact) my ICE left the wif & I by the side of the road due to a failed belt (alternator + water pump... very similar very quick fail), caused by a loose idler wheel related to a repair of just a couple of months earlier... never found myself needing to get uptight about the car, the shop, or that problem on other cars... and ICE cars continue to have failed belts too... or there was the day when a failed fuel filter spewed fuel all over a hot engine and I missed a friend's wedding... unfun, dangerous, and I continued to drive the car for another year too.

I have been left on the side of the road three times by ICE cars I purchased new. Never by one of the five EVs I've been driving since 2011, knock on wood.

Back