Turtle Mode ruins the road trip

Now, I’ve been on the forums before. I’ve done my research. I lowkey knew this was coming eventually, I just kinda wish it was on the second half of the trip or something.

Originally, I planned to have a car full of people, three friends and my sister. Luckily, it was only me and my sister that ended up on the trip. How embarrassing would that have been. 🙄

Customer service was exceptional though. Ended up being a rear drive unit failure or something. They replaced the unit fairly quickly and I got the car back today after 10 days. But just knowing it can still happen again after reading a recent post on here leaves a gross taste in my mouth. Never sold a car before so I'll have to research that process.
It’s unfortunate you went through this, but what would ever make you think this was coming ‘eventually’? This implies that every Lucid has or will have a rear motor failure, which to be kind, is quite an embellishment.

.. on NJ turnpike and, anyone who’s driven on the turnpike knows, everyone’s basically driving 90 MPH."

I have never observed this.

"So I'm swimming thru traffic, having a little fun. "

scaring the ship out of "normal" people...

"Not sure how much Lucid is paying you to constantly post these unctuous comments but it must be very lucrative."

Sorry your car broke on a road trip! I've taken at least 8 road trips with mine, 18k miles on it, and one time it broke on the way home from NYC to Rhode Island in Mystic Connecticut. I got the same 50mph turtle mode, I suspect what this type of Turtle mode does is it converts the car to two wheel drive (depending on which motor, front or rear, it detects a fault with). In my case it was the rear motor so the car effectively became front wheel drive. It was a Saturday evening and Lucid service called me back literally within 60 seconds of me texting them for help, got me, wife and kid an uber home, towed the car. It turned out it was an electrical bus that controls the coolant pump for rear drive motor, left battery pack and left charge port door. I know of one other owner a similar failure happened to. Since then I've taken several other road trips without fear and without any problems at all.

And I just got my car back from service yesterday, because the car remotely sent them an isolation error with one of the modules in the battery pack, so the service center manager called me and said they needed to take the car, even though the car was driving perfectly fine, as it could have a failure while driving. They brought a loaner to my work (I was too busy to drive to the service center), replaced the HV battery, wunderbox and upgraded to V2 charging cable, then brought me my car back to my work to swap out the loaner when done. Contrary to your experience, this experience makes me so confident in Lucid that I don't want to drive any other car on long trips. I do not know of another auto manufacturer that utilizes heavy cloud connectivity in such a clever way that they were able to prevent a future breakdown by remote diagnostics. And now I have a car with a brand new battery/Wunderbox. I'm not considering selling this thing anytime soon!

I’m sorry you went through this experience but it appears that some people are ready to give up on an EV more so than with legacy vehicle. I hope this is not the case. I have just completed a successful road trip, posted to this forum. Leading up to the trip, we had few issues with the vehicle but appeared to go away with the OTA updates. Hang in there…

Cars fail whether EVs or ICE vehicles. My 2016 BMW had problems and I sold it back to BMW (quasi lemon law sale). Replaced it with a new one that was terrific. It used to be that people said not to buy a car made on a day when the World Cup is being played.

Everyone has to decide what risks to take and measure those against one's needs and desires. But whatever the OP does, it doesn't have any statistical validity regarding other Lucids. Even RRs occasionally "cease to proceed".

Back