Trip from NJ to Atlanta via Columbia, SC

Thanks, I have all the apps you have suggested and have been looking at options for charging every 200 miles. Having less than 500 miles on my car, I have no idea what my kWh/Mile will be on interstate driving. I would prefer not to get much below 20% charge.

I have plugged the route into the Lucid navigation and it has marked off stops along the route for charging. Are these dynamic, changing along the route based on my kWh/mile? And one stop listed puzzles me here is the screen shot

1683945641659.jpeg

It has no name and no address? I will certainly stop before then as 10% charge is below my comfort level right now. But I am curious as to why a stop is listed without information necessary to find it.

Thanks, I have all the apps you have suggested and have been looking at options for charging every 200 miles. Having less than 500 miles on my car, I have no idea what my kWh/Mile will be on interstate driving. I would prefer not to get much below 20% charge.

I have plugged the route into the Lucid navigation and it has marked off stops along the route for charging. Are these dynamic, changing along the route based on my kWh/mile? And one stop listed puzzles me here is the screen shot

View attachment 12242

It has no name and no address? I will certainly stop before then as 10% charge is below my comfort level right now. But I am curious as to why a stop is listed without information necessary to find it.
That is oddly suspicious...would not trust that stop tbh.

Left this morning. Arrived after 310 miles in Richmond at Walmart. 19% charge remaining. I had charged to 100% at home. At EV 350 watt charger. Moving between 87 a 95 kw. Charger says charge is reduced by charger. Car is great. What does the red dot by the navigation arrow mean when using Lucid Nav App. Could not find a message anywhere.

Congratulations on your first voyage into the unknown! Too bad your first charger was a dud. With that low SOC you should have seen into the 300's kW initially, and you can even get ( I have ) 170s kW on the 150 chargers. It's quite a thrill when it happens. (but it doesn't last). Perhaps I am overconfident after a successful trip but I used the 80-20% (but went into 90s% at home before leaving) and stopped at conveniently-located chargers way before I needed... (some were not working, some with long lines, some too far off )

see the video of the Cannonballers who maxed out the charging rate frequently (more less instead of fewer more)
instead of hanging around for a full charge.
I learned a lot about charging from this video:
Lucid Cannonballers

My takeaway from my trip: I need to stop at least every two hours, and this is an absolute limit. Maxing out distance between charges makes no sense for me. The Lucid's 80 - 20 SOC gives me much more range than my age allows.

"I don't always charge when I pee, but I always pee when I charge."
iu

Please continue with your saga.

By the way, I saw your write up about charging in KoP but I did not recognize the name of the store you mentioned across from it. I worked from ‘77-‘85 and then 2002-2015 in KoP.

2nd lap was from Richmond to Rocky Mount, NC where I am spending the night. Both laps have avg of 4.1 m/kWh. Was at a Sheetz station this time with 4 EA Chargers. At an 350 charger and Again, plug and charge did not initiate but it clicked in after removing and reinserting the nozzle (?) and initiating charge with Lucid App. Each time it says it will not accept payment plan. This stop was 22 min to move from 69 to 85. So far, so good. No hours on the phone re: charging like some. Would be nice if it worked the first try each time and wish they would make the hoses longer or not put the cement stop blocks so far from the charger. Leg 3 tomorrow.

By the way, I saw your write up about charging in KoP but I did not recognize the name of the store you mentioned across from it. I worked from ‘77-‘85 and then 2002-2015 in KoP.
I moved to the area in '72. That was before they moved the Tavern (King of Prussia Tavern) which was smack dab in the middle of 202, and I mean their were too lanes of 202 on each side of the colonial stone structure so it was impossible to get to it; just a ruin right where all the roads meet, exactly in the middle of an insane web of highways. This is an old photo. They kept expanding 202 and now it's 10 lanes. Photo is about 1960
lossy-page1-1280px-thumbnail.tif.jpg

Legend is the Prussian mercenaries used to drink mint juleps there and toast their King. They moved it 1/2 mile somewhere and I haven't seen it since. It's still a viable tavern, I hear.

But the mall has grown like an aggressive cancer, you would not recognize anything. It's about 4 or 5 times larger since you left. Covid took out a bunch of anchor stores but they are still expanding, and now they have a whole section of stores selling $40,000 handbags and shoes, and another section that has a dozen watch stores...watches that cost more than a Lucid. The entire town is now shopping and highways.

I would tell you the chargers are across from Lord and Taylor, which was built after you left and now it's already been abandoned (Covid killed it). I really can't describe how to find the chargers.... Buckman's is a seasonal ski shop right on 202, next to that mysterious Sullivan's steak house, but you can't get to the chargers from there...you have to go into the mall parking lot off Mall Blvd. but I wouldn't do that because ... just don't go there. You'll never find it. I expect Lucid will put some chargers out for us if they ever build their service center. That too, is impossible to find unless you've lived here 40 or 50 years. Perhaps they will put up a drone and shine lazers on it so your nav system can geo-locate it. Even so, the traffic is chaotic, and gets worse once you enter the parking areas. The whole complex is built on top of limestone geology: I expect the whole town to disappear down a sink hole sometime next year....when the big rain comes, after the eclipse.

My advice is avoid King of Prussia altogether. It's become a conspicuous consumption nightmare. Still, if you know your way around all those roads, it's a convenient location for Lucid owners in SE PA. Perhaps we can have a meet there and shop for a digital timex that requires two hands to read.
Got the time, buddy?

Last edited:
here is that same place a few years ago : it's trippled in size since this photo, and they are still adding more stores.
c5d243f652d270f981442838324401ab.jpg

2nd lap was from Richmond to Rocky Mount, NC where I am spending the night. Both laps have avg of 4.1 m/kWh. Was at a Sheetz station this time with 4 EA Chargers. At an 350 charger and Again, plug and charge did not initiate but it clicked in after removing and reinserting the nozzle (?) and initiating charge with Lucid App. Each time it says it will not accept payment plan. This stop was 22 min to move from 69 to 85. So far, so good. No hours on the phone re: charging like some. Would be nice if it worked the first try each time and wish they would make the hoses longer or not put the cement stop blocks so far from the charger. Leg 3 tomorrow.
If Leg 3 takes you close to the nation's capital, give me a shout, I might come and hang out while you charge ... I'm yet to meet another Lucid owner!

Yesterday’s trip from Rocky Mount, NC to McDonough GA met a major charging hiccup in Florence, SC. Chargers at Walmart wouldn’t move above 38 kw. Needed enough charge to get to Columbia, SC, so sat while it slowly delivered the charge. Chargers at Walmart in Columbia hit a typical 85 kw charge. My final charge was at Walmart in Stockbridge a 150 putting out 147 kw. Woohoo! Wipers- I went in and out of several heavy downpours between Columbia and Augusta with intermittent showers and truck spray between downpours. Wipers were extremely responsive, adjusting quickly to the changing situation. When I first received the car, my first experience with rain I felt the wipers were too slow, but somewhere here I read about tapping the end of the wiper stalk. That seemed to work then and apparently has held. LiDAR- did not get any message it was blocked by rain. I did cut off Highway Assist when I became concerned about possible hydroplaning. On total trip highest m/kWh was 4.1. Avg 3.7-3.8. Canopy and AC - 90 degrees in SC with full Sun and humidity, canopy blocked sun very well and ac kept me comfortable. Air coming from vents was cold. Mobile key was consistently reliable Seems like Lucid has addressed a lot of the issues noted by the early owners. Thanks to both! Issue with Apple Car Play. After my overnight in Rocky Mount, Car Play did not load correctly. Just hissing over the speakers for the different channels I chose. Nav commands still worked. Tried unsuccessfully different tricks; it came back fine after my next charging session.

Navigation Map Gaps: In small towns and rural areas of GA, the Lucid navigation app is not thoroughly mapped. Alexa was dumbfounded by navigation requests to the Green Manor (a great restaurant for traditional Southern cuisine) in Union City, GA which is a small town just west of Hartsfield Jackson International Airport, and to the Whistle Stop Cafe (from the movie “Fried Green Tomatoes”) in Juliette, GA which is just east of I-75, north of Macon. Manually entering the addresses did not work either. Switched to Apple Play/Apple maps.

My trip back was uneventful. All the EA charging sites performed. I would just like to see them reach Lucid’s charging potential.
Some observations:
Seats are supportive and comfortable for long rides There is no massage function on the Touring but such is life.
Steering wheel was also extremely comfortable. The flat bottom is a great touch and natural place to rest in’s hands.
Highway Assist definitely can be nanny-like. Sometimes I liked it but sometimes I kept to Adaptive Cruise as I got tired of wrestling with it or hearing the “thunk” warning to keep my hands on the wheel when they were.
Economy, I averaged 3.8 on this 2,000 mile trip.
A great driving car!
Once Inlearned how to use the Lucid App, EA charging was for the most part pretty smooth.

Back