Trade up to GT?

PeaB

Reaction score
Cars
2023 Lucid Air
Finally saw the Gravity today, it will definitely be worth the wait! That said, I'm still contemplating trading my AT for a GT. I have a loaner that I absolutely love, and I want to tell them to keep my AT and send me a bill for the difference. Wondering if anyone has done this, is it at all feasible, or am I being dumb to do this ahead of the Gravity launch? I know I'll take a hit on the trade in, but I'm not sure how much...

Unlike a traditional dealership, I'm fairly certain that Lucid's sales model is not structured in a manner that could handle an upgrade like that. My big question is... What would you do when you get your Gravity? Would you also keep the GT? If not, then given that Gravity is not that far out on the horizon, the cost and hassle of an upgrade wouldn't seem worthwhile to me. If you would keep both, or if you don't care about the short term nature of the trade, my guess is that you would have to come up with the best deal you can on a new or used GT, and then sell your AT on the open market. If you want to buy new, that will likely be a pricey adventure, but used-to-used could be quite reasonable.

I wouldn't keep both, so it's definitely a short term adventure! But if I have to sell the AT myself, I'm not sure I'll bother. It's not a necessity, and I don't want the hassle.

I wouldn't keep both, so it's definitely a short term adventure! But if I have to sell the AT myself, I'm not sure I'll bother. It's not a necessity, and I don't want the hassle.
That's what I would do, but everyone's circumstances are different. I suppose you could try to take it to a dealership as a trade in without a purchase, but my guess is that they would give you a painful low-ball offer. Sites like Bring A Trailer seem to work pretty well for people. I personally have used Craigslist to sell a number of cars, albeit more mainstream make and models. I like the win/win nature of such trades.

As dealer trade-in values are lower than private sales, I would assume that a private sale would be the best option. On the market, there is not much of a pricing difference between the T and the GT... so if you do structure this properly and get great deals, I would say that a used-to-used deal as @Buffalo Bob suggested is doable!

Y'all are not helping 😂 I expected to get told often and correctly hat I should just stick it out until the Gravity arrives, but now I'm seriously considering making this happen. I would only keep it until the Gravity is ready, but if I can make the move without taking a big hit, I might be ridiculous enough to make it happen...

Stick it out until Gravity happens...

Unless you really want to 🤣🤣🤣
What do you find so compelling with the GT over your touring?

I've driven several different GTs when mine has been in for service, and I definitely appreciate the horsepower difference. But in general I have liked my touring better, because it has a smoother ride. But...the one I have right now is just perfection! All the horses, plus a smooth ride, and the interior is the first that I've loved. Grey, with the dark orange/tan carpet. I just love it, and I think I'm going to regret getting mine back 😂

But I really should wait for the Gravity and stop being dumb...

Y'all are not helping 😂 I expected to get told often and correctly hat I should just stick it out until the Gravity arrives, but now I'm seriously considering making this happen. I would only keep it until the Gravity is ready, but if I can make the move without taking a big hit, I might be ridiculous enough to make it happen...
Phone calls and questions to your sales advisor are free, however, may lead to additional expenses as known as “upgrades”. Make the call, doesn’t hurt to ask what your options may be.

Yes, it's those pesky upgrades that get you!

I've driven several different GTs when mine has been in for service, and I definitely appreciate the horsepower difference. But in general I have liked my touring better, because it has a smoother ride. But...the one I have right now is just perfection! All the horses, plus a smooth ride, and the interior is the first that I've loved. Grey, with the dark orange/tan carpet. I just love it, and I think I'm going to regret getting mine back 😂

But I really should wait for the Gravity and stop being dumb...
Not dumb. When I drove both, I thought there was a significant difference in overall power delivery from the touring to the GT. I was also coming from a plaid.

I asked the service guy last time I was in, and he said the HP difference is basically a whole additional 4 cylinder engine. It's amazing. I think I notice it more because I've been doing more city driving, and the extra horses come in handy.

That's crazy! People try to race me all the time, I rarely do it, it's not a fair fight. But in the GT, not even close!

That's crazy! People try to race me all the time, I rarely do it, it's not a fair fight. But in the GT, not even close!
And also, one of the most important factors: range! One more question, do you carry passengers in the rear seat often? The GT has a less comfortable rear seat due to the extra battery modules taking up the footwell, although it is still insanely good for a sedan of its size.

The range is amazing... really unbelievable. I'm actually even more impressed with the charging speed! Dramatically improved over the touring. I have passengers on occasion, and they might notice a little difference, but they are usually so impressed by the general novelty of the car, so I don't think I'd get complaints.

If I could trade in my Touring for a Gravity, I probably would. But I don't have the disposable income to take that hit

Back