Lucid needs to market and grab disenchanted Model S owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s far more complex than that nor does it dismiss their possible involvement in the worst terrorist attack on this country.

Every administration from G. W. Bush onward has decided for whatever reason not to go there in any meaningful way. Opinions on a car forum will have no effect on outcomes.

When it comes to energy and EVs, they are thinking ahead. The U.S. is not.

I’m a 2023 Model S owner ready to loose bucks and jump into a Lucid Pure or 22 GT.
Lucid does not take trade ins?
No test drive of Lucid in Washington State.
Lucid does not offer the Tesla Conquest discount?
I’m in Vegas , the Model S autopilot almost killed us on the highway at full phantom brake!
I could just swing by Irvine and drive a Lucid
Home…..1300 miles of smiles.

Get the Lucid, you won't regret it!

Totally new here - current 2020 Model S Performance owner. Not at all disgruntled and I really enjoy the car. But I also agree that Lucid is the better car. My best friend just purchased Air Pure and absolutely raves about it. Granted, he's coming from a Chevy Bolt, but his sentiment about it being the best driving car he's experienced is echoed by so many owners. I was hooked on Lucid the moment It was first introduced but just wasn't into EVs then. I appreciated its beauty, technology and size, unlike any other EV on the road. I'd say I'm converted now and couldn't see myself going back to ICE. I know I want Lucid as my next car and I'm considering getting the cash out of my Model S and using the proceeds to lease a new Lucid. While I LOVE the performance of the old Model S - The "old" Plaid before the Plaid, I just don't drive it like a fool. So deciding between the RWD Pure and the Touring is my only question. I'm ready to make the switch!

Every administration from G. W. Bush onward has decided for whatever reason not to go there in any meaningful way. Opinions on a car forum will have no effect on outcomes.

When it comes to energy and EVs, they are thinking ahead. The U.S. is not.
On that we can agree.

It would not be unfair to state that there may be some evidence that the Saudis, at some level, aided some that were involved in 9/11. I’m sure I’m closer to 9/11 than most of you since my office was on the 100th floor, north side of Tower 1, a few floors directly above where the first plane went in. Had a client not called me the prior afternoon, asking me to attend a meeting, I would not be writing this. Everyone I worked with that was in that day died a miserable death. My wife got a call that night from HR thinking they were talking to a widow, unaware I was alive. I attended more funerals of coworkers, whose families had nothing to bury, than anyone should have to.

So frankly I get a bit tired of reading why Tesla/Musk has turned off people or hurt their feelings. I bought a 2017 MS when Musk was still a hero of the left. I would not buy another Tesla only because their cars are simply not as good as Lucid’s.
I was four blocks away, in my fourth day of high school at Stuyvesant. Each of the prior three days, I had eaten lunch at the WTC with my friends. If it had happened three hours later, I’d have been right there with you. As it was, I was four blocks away and walked out of school as the first building fell. I feel you, trust me. My entire family still lives in Brooklyn, and it was the only time in my entire life I’ve heard my dad cry, when I spoke to him for the first time around 2:30pm that day, after he dropped me off at 8am or so. I got home at 9pm, after walking from battery park to the upper east side, across the Queensboro bridge, and down to Brighton Beach. Why that route? Because the goal was walking and avoiding possible targets. I could not forget that day if I tried.

It’s not a competition, but suffice it to say that I, too, have had many friends develop prostate and other cancers at the ripe old age of 25-30, lost a few friends at the Towers, etc. I feel you.

But the Saudis are in *everything*. They’d be in Tesla too, if they got along with Musk and he didn’t screw that up. It would be impossible to avoid.

So yeah - it’s not that Musk is offensive; he is, but he’s just… gone. And when he’s there, he’s a distraction.

His politics do turn off buyers for sure, but there are also those who dive deep into his cult of personality, so those are probably relatively even. The difference is the latter, historically, lasts less long. They eventually move on to another cultist.

I was four blocks away, in my fourth day of high school at Stuyvesant. Each of the prior three days, I had eaten lunch at the WTC with my friends. If it had happened three hours later, I’d have been right there with you. As it was, I was four blocks away and walked out of school as the first building fell. I feel you, trust me. My entire family still lives in Brooklyn, and it was the only time in my entire life I’ve heard my dad cry, when I spoke to him for the first time around 2:30pm that day, after he dropped me off at 8am or so. I got home at 9pm, after walking from battery park to the upper east side, across the Queensboro bridge, and down to Brighton Beach. Why that route? Because the goal was walking and avoiding possible targets. I could not forget that day if I tried.

It’s not a competition, but suffice it to say that I, too, have had many friends develop prostate and other cancers at the ripe old age of 25-30, lost a few friends at the Towers, etc. I feel you.

But the Saudis are in *everything*. They’d be in Tesla too, if they got along with Musk and he didn’t screw that up. It would be impossible to avoid.

So yeah - it’s not that Musk is offensive; he is, but he’s just… gone. And when he’s there, he’s a distraction.

His politics do turn off buyers for sure, but there are also those who dive deep into his cult of personality, so those are probably relatively even. The difference is the latter, historically, lasts less long. They eventually move on to another cultist.
Every once in a while, reading things on here makes you think and feel things way beyond our cars or why we drive them. Other than @xponents, what we were doing that day is probably burned into everyone's memory. But your story, and @Lucken 's, that's so much closer and sadder than most of us.

Every once in a while, reading things on here makes you think and feel things way beyond our cars or why we drive them. Other than @xponents, what we were doing that day is probably burned into everyone's memory. But your story, and @Lucken 's, that's so much closer and sadder than most of us.
It’s taken me a long time to process it, but I think I can finally say I have. I have never been to the memorial or the new site, but I think I will this year when I visit my parents.

This happened on 9/9, five days ago:
I flew home on 9/11, three days ago.

It’s been an especially weird week. I still have to write up things from the tech and manufacturing day and post some photos, but I needed to process some other things first. :)

Edit: I know this is completely off topic and might be considered political and I am being a bad mod so I humbly accept my fate if the other mods deign it to delete my posts. <3

It’s taken me a long time to process it, but I think I can finally say I have. I have never been to the memorial or the new site, but I think I will this year when I visit my parents.

It’s been an especially weird week. I still have to write up things from the tech and manufacturing day and post some photos, but I needed to process some other things first. :)

Edit: I know this is completely off topic and might be considered political and I am being a bad mod so I humbly accept my fate if the other mods deign it to delete my posts. <3
I'm not on X. Looks like I can't read it unless I sign up. I was back in NY September of 2022 for a few days on a tour with some friends. I grew up in NY, but moved to CA in the late 70's. It was really rushed, but we spent a few hours at the memorial. Not enough time, but at least I got to see it. You won't get out of there without crying. It was a tough place to visit.

Wow! This was some story! You handled the whole situation remarkably well and with compassion! Kudos to you, @borski. Thanks for sharing with us!

I'm not on X. Looks like I can't read it unless I sign up. I was back in NY September of 2022 for a few days on a tour with some friends. I grew up in NY, but moved to CA in the late 70's. It was really rushed, but we spent a few hours at the memorial. Not enough time, but at least I got to see it. You won't get out of there without crying. It was a tough place to visit.

Next week I have a 30-hour layover in midtown Manhattan (theatre district). Freedom Tower is a four or five mile walk, or a thirty minute subway ride away from our layover hotel. I’m thinking about heading down since I’ve never been.

You’re right - all of us who were already alive and above pre-school age that day, will remember exactly where they were, and what they were doing.

I still get teary eyed telling the story of how, on 9/11, my son came tearing through the garage door, running up to me sobbing while hugging me in a death grip, realizing how close he came to losing his dad. This despite the fact that I called his middle school to alert him to the fact that I was ok. A truly horrendous time, and we were the lucky ones.

I, like borski, have never gone to the WTC memorial and always feel guilty about it. That will change this fall.

Was never an EEEHLOHHHN(!) fanboy/fanboi - just listening to him speak in public makes me anxious. He sounds like some junior high kid who’s just run down the hallway, burst into his classroom, and made to read aloud for the very first time.

I do remember the thrill and excitement of taking delivery of our family’s first Tesla in early 2017, my dad’s Model S75D. That car is still within our extended family, and I still marvel at it, especially when I catch a glimpse of its ultra-white vegan leather interior.

Today we still have a mid-2018 build Model X100D. It seats six, is fully paid for, and having full title in my possession for the last few years has been nice. What has also been really nice has been the FUSC - Free Unlimited Supercharging. It’s a benefit we haven’t used much over the years, and now that I have the Lucid for road tripping, we hardly use FUSC at all.

Still, once it’s announced that the Lucid Gravity is ready for sale, I’ll be placing an order.x

That is all.

Lucid does not take trade ins?
This part is honestly one of the potential issue for me when I'm done with my EV6. Not a deal breaker but given my state (IL) has sales tax exemption for trade ins it could be worth at least $1k (so Lucid is effectively at a disadvantage price wise).

Not that big a deal for an Air purchase, but likely a bigger deal percentage wise for the upcoming midsize vehicles. Esp if the nice trim of the sedan variant goes over the current $55k price cap for federal subsidies!

I don't know if it's still the case, but Rivian contracted out its trade-in program to Cox Automotive which became an investor in Rivian. I've wondered if Lucid didn't explore a similar approach, but it didn't work out for some reason?

I still have a copy of "The Spectator" from November 2001.
Me too.

For anyone else that doesn’t know, the students of Stuyvesant put together a magazine commemorating what happened on 9/11, completely with photos from Ethan, a friend at the time, and countless stories and articles written by students. The NY Times published it, which was unusual because The Spectator was our student paper.

You can find it here: https://issuu.com/stuyspectator/docs/wtc

Last edited:
I wonder if we can shut down the politics at this point. I personally value this site as it’s generally politics free. There are only a few who either directly or tangentially try to inject politics in to some discussions.

I wonder if we can shut down the politics at this point. I personally value this site as it’s generally politics free. There are only a few who either directly or tangentially try to inject politics in to some discussions.
Apologies. I was trying very hard to stay away from politics and focus on that event apolitically but I recognize that has no place here and I just am having a weird week.

Like I said, I am fine if the other mods decide to delete these, and yeah, I won’t bring it up again. Sorry.

I agree with your comment, this thread has been worrying me for a while. I don't think your comment was aimed at @borski but at others. In any, case, I am going to lock this thread so that we can get back to talking about Lucid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back