Took delivery last Friday! Thoughts on week one and unfortunate problem last night.

Zoef

Cars
Audi Q7, Lucid GT
Hi all. I took delivery last Friday - Reserved April 10, Vin August 9 and Delivery September 2. White, Tahoe and 21" wheels.

I have been too busy to post anything yet and so I decided I would do a one week trial and then comment with all my thoughts for those patiently waiting on their "Luci's". I am a heavy driver and the car is already at 500 miles. I love the car and have detailed opinions on everything that people are discussing on the forums (A/C. wipers etc.). My plan was a glowing review with a few minor niggles. Unfortunately, the car was towed to the service center in Riviera Beach last night after it stopped driving in the middle of a six lane road here in S FL with no warning or error codes. Power still on the car but totally non-responsive to the gas pedal. Stay tuned for further updates, but suffice it to say that it was a very scary experience to be in the middle lane with cars zooming by at 50 miles/hour and no way to reset the software from inside the car. My son was in the backseat and we were petrified we were going to get hit. It was not a pleasant end to the day.

Scary. Happy that you are safe.

Did you ser a turtle pop up?

Oh, no! That’s far worse than the “phantom braking” that still occurs with regularity on any Tesla. I’m relieved that nothing happened to you and your son.

I hope you get answers very soon, and that your brand new car is repaired quickly. Please keep us posted.

This sounds like a new one. Clearly not the 12v, as you still had power. So sorry that happened to you, and glad you and your son are safe.

Unfortunately, the car was towed to the service center in Riviera Beach last night after it stopped driving in the middle of a six lane road here in S FL with no warning or error codes.

That's frightening. Were you able to get the car over to the shoulder, or did you have to exit the car in a travel lane?

Every time I read the posts on this site, i leave torn between hoping for a pre-12/31 delivery and thinking, “Nah, I hope it doesn’t arrive until an adequate revision of the software is available.”. Having a car suddenly stop in a middle lane of either the NJ Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway would certainly increase my prayer life. And, actually that fear pales in comparison to trying to explain to my wife why a car that cost this much has so many issues. There is so much to delight, but so much to disgruntle. I am keenly aware that it is far easier to criticize than create, but the software malfunctions seem to be metastasizing. If 2.0 is not available and tested before I am asked to confirm, I will have to decide if I should request to postpone. The recent posts about changes in management and Peter being more attentive to the manufacturing process are encouraging, but is the software so flawed that they basically need to start over?

Not that it's any easier to stomach but I would say that all the "major" issues are hardware and not software issues.

That is scary for sure. A new car driver's nightmare. By any chance did the car give you any indication something was wrong, such a s a screen going dark, or panel icon lighting up. or odd noises heard that you didn't hear before?

Can you say more - though I may regret asking!
Sorry I should clarify, the ones I've seen reported on this forum. The turtle modes have either been a motor failure or a coolant leak, both hardware. The 12v/battery issues have been a failure of a component or HV pack failure.

That was scary. Years ago, one of our cars died on the freeway. Though we were able able to moved to the emergency lane (on the left, next to the carpool), watching cars zoomed by at 60-80mph was insanely scary.

Lucid crew do monitor this forum, hopefully things like this get back to the engineering group at the HQ.

Sorry to hear of that harrowing experience and glad you are safe.
Question for more knowledgeable members here. Have most of these major failures with turtle mode , etc occurred quite soon after receipt of the car? I did ask the same question about the 12v battery issue and the answer was no.
As always, very interested to hear about resolution in this case.

Seems like the turtle mode/drive failure stuff has all occurred early. 12v stuff seemed mostly early on except for @HC_79 But this is all just from memory.

Sorry everybody. I will try to post more later I am dictating this to Siri as I drive. We are in the middle of trying to move back into our house after being out due to leaking pipes and house flooding. And it is a three ring circus at my house at every moment. Please excuse typos as Siri stinks. What I can say is there was no warning or indication of any malfunction other than pressing pedal did not result in going. It seems like a software glitch. I love the car and think it’s amazing and have really enjoyed it my first week. It seems clear that Lucid needs to figure out a way to hard reboot the car while you are in it and that is the biggest problem. When we called Support they told us to exit the vehicle. We explained that we were in the middle of an essence a highway and that was incredibly unsafe and they told us that was the only option. We waited until traffic subsided and ran across the road and tried to get the car to hard reset which it would not do. I would have to try to go 20 ft away and leave the car in the road while I walked down the median and then go back and run across the road and try to get into the car again. This did not solve the issue.

At this point the police showed up and told us we had to get the car out of the middle lane as it was a serious safety concern so I hopped back in the car put it in neutral and they pushed it over to the side of the road using the police car while we waited for the tow truck to arrive. The tow truck came and of course had never seen a Lucid and wasn’t sure how to get it on the bed. The tow driver got in the car started messing around with it put it in drive and all of a sudden the car started moving so it clearly somehow reset itself in the time we were waiting for the tow truck to arrive. We made the executive decision to go ahead and send it to the service center since the tow truck was already there and we were very close to the service center. Riviera Beach called me this morning to try to get more information on what happened and I’m just waiting to hear back - on the plus side the service techs were very helpful and professional even as my husband was losing his shit over the fact that we were stopped in in the middle of the highway at 9:30 at night with our kid in the backseat and no way to reset the car over the air. Hopefully they will figure out a software patch for a hard reset in the car. I understand from a friend that Tesla has this functionality.

Ps. I love the car and it is amazing. But the glass is tough in a hot climate and the wipers do not go fast enough for a South FL pouring rainstorm. I set cabin maintain for errand running to keep it from getting too hot as I am out and about.

Seems like the turtle mode/drive failure stuff has all occurred early. 12v stuff seemed mostly early on except for @HC_79 But this is all just from memory.
Thanks, that was my impression.

Back