Tons of Software Issues - Disappointed!

jwshute

Cars
Grand Touring
I've only had the car one day and I have had a myriad of software issues: lagging screen; door shows open when closed and then can't open it; frunk stayed open and had to manually close it; car fob not working consistently - handles don't automatically raise when approaching car with fob; car charger port cover stuck open; HD channels don't work; connectivity is spotty at best; color of my car on the screen is different; booting up takes minutes instead of seconds; Crawl can't be turned off?; everything is just so slow.

I am comparing this with my Tesla so if I were to grade the Lucid software against the Tesla - Say if Tesla was an A, Lucid would be a D. I bought the car knowing the software was buggy but this is way worse than I expected.

Since these type of complaints have been around since the first vehicle delivery, do we know if the company will ever make the fixes? I would throw a ton of manpower at it and steal the best software engineers Tesla has. For the money spent, I think we all deserve better.

Hoping for a quick resolution to all of these! (But probably in denial)

The door thing should be handled by service.
Frunk - did you have it open longer than 10 non?

Charge port door- what do you mean stuck open? You tried closing it and it didn't work?

Car color not the same - not a bug

Fob proximity is inconsistent especially around objects.

Hold/crawl need to be parked to change.

Car boot minutes? I doubt that it hasn't been minutes..ever. If it actually takes minutes something is wrong, maybe a broken chip or module.

Since these type of complaints have been around since the first vehicle delivery, do we know if the company will ever make the fixes?
Yes, we know they’re working on it. We expect big updates coming in the next few weeks.

I've only had the car one day and I have had a myriad of software issues: lagging screen; door shows open when closed and then can't open it; frunk stayed open and had to manually close it; car fob not working consistently - handles don't automatically raise when approaching car with fob; car charger port cover stuck open; HD channels don't work; connectivity is spotty at best; color of my car on the screen is different; booting up takes minutes instead of seconds; Crawl can't be turned off?; everything is just so slow.

I am comparing this with my Tesla so if I were to grade the Lucid software against the Tesla - Say if Tesla was an A, Lucid would be a D. I bought the car knowing the software was buggy but this is way worse than I expected.

Since these type of complaints have been around since the first vehicle delivery, do we know if the company will ever make the fixes? I would throw a ton of manpower at it and steal the best software engineers Tesla has. For the money spent, I think we all deserve better.

BTW - dont compare the software to a Tesla. You are comparing a car with less than 1 year of manufacturing to a company of over 10 years. Compare it to a Rivian.

Charge port door- what do you mean stuck open? You tried closing it and it didn't work?

Car boot minutes? I doubt that it hasn't been minutes..ever. If it actually takes minutes something is wrong, maybe a broken chip or module.
Frunk may have been open longer than 10 minutes but not sure why that would matter.
Had to do the manual release above the charger port to close it and then it worked.
My software won't allow me to put it on "hold." The button is "grayed" out. Maybe I am missing something.
Yes I am exaggerating about minutes - but it feels that way!

Thanks for your comments!

I see @hydbob

Frunk may have been open longer than 10 minutes but not sure why that would matter.
Had to do the manual release above the charger port to close it and then it worked.
My software won't allow me to put it on "hold." The button is "grayed" out. Maybe I am missing something.
Yes I am exaggerating about minutes - but it feels that way!

Thanks for your comments!
The frunk makes a difference because Lucid has said that by design, leaving it open for more than 10 minutes disables auto-close. Why they made that choice, we're not entirely sure. But it's not a bug. It's how they want it.

I see @hydbob has addressed & will chime in as well.

FTR I have a MSLR & knew what I was getting into (pun intended) when I test drove the Lucid & got it home a month back. So I think, like a few others here, are well positioned to compare AGT vs MS.

- Your title is 100% correct. No taking away from that.

Now allow me to address the rest:
- Screen lag: Known issue & is expected to be fixed in the future software updates
- Door issue - Call service.
- Frunk - If it is open for an extended period you will need to close it manually. Have you been able to replicate this issue?
- Key fob: Yes. Known issue. I have it as well. Engg is supposedly looking into it.
- Charger port: Call service if it happens again. And again.

- HD Channels: Hmmm ... Maybe not adequate radio signal. Not heard of this, but unsure. Call service, I guess? Or future software update?
- COnnectivity - Please elaborate. Are you talking about BT? Wifi home connectivity? Or going back to the keyfob connectivity?
- Color of car - Hmmm .. Yeah ... Hmmm ... :) .. Future software update dfntly. Unless you want to wrap the car to mirror what shows on the screen.

- Bootup - Minutes? If so, call service. Yes, we all are aware it takes 30 to 45 seconds ... but in multiples of 1 minute .. I have not seen anyone reporting that.

Not to aggravate you further, but in full disclosure, if/when you start interacting with Alexa, you will be really needing a gin/tonic or whatever floats your boat.

You compared AGT with a Tesla. May I ask why? Did you not drive the car ahead of time? Did you not follow these threads? Were you not aware of the *severity* of these issues? If you had known then, would it have stopped you buying this car? Or ... if you were given an opportunity for a buyback & pick the same car, at a higher price, in say 2 years would you have waited?

I get you are super frustrated & you thought the software would be at least at high school level as opposed to being at the kindergarden level. I get it. 100%.

But be patient. With the slew of incoming updates we are 100% confident it will improve (no denial there). IMO, the driving experience is far ahead of the MSLR. And the software will round it up nicely.

Good luck. Enjoy the drive. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers.

Thanks for your comments. They are much appreciated!

I don't want to be the "negative" person on the thread. I did test drive the car and I do love the drive of the car and am very excited about the long term ownership. I just wanted to get my comments out so Lucid could be aware of consumers' experiences. I hope I can have the patience to work through this (not my strong suit!). But I'll manage. But again, tons of positives on the car so don't want to seem single minded on the negatives.

BTW - dont compare the software to a Tesla. You are comparing a car with less than 1 year of manufacturing to a company of over 10 years. Compare it to a Rivian.
I’m sorry I don’t buy this excuse of its less than a year old company. Then why is the engineering so good ?? The drive is superb, the acceleration amazing, the battery range excellent. They should’ve been crap as well because it’s a “yuiung company”. Extrapolating ur logic and that of hydbob and other apologists, NO startups should EVER be able to compete with established companies because their software would be juts THAT much buggier.
BUT we know that’s NOT the case with Lucod hardware and engineering, nor is it the case with thousands of software startups who create flawless products from the get go! Why ? Because they invest in EXPERIENCED, COMPETENT talent to tackle the problem. Something Lucid did wonderfully for the HW but seems completely unable to on the SW.

At this point, every time Peter does one of his tech talks about thr wonderous motor or other such HW, it irritates me!! Spend some time on the SW for Gawd’s sake!! We interact with it a LOT!! Every time the phone stops working because Bluetooth disconnects or the key fob stops working or the music apps crash etc etc etc!!

I’m sorry I don’t buy this excuse of its less than a year old company. Then why is the engineering so good ?? The drive is superb, the acceleration amazing, the battery range excellent. They should’ve been crap as well because it’s a “yuiung company”. Extrapolating ur logic and that of hydbob and other apologists, NO startups should EVER be able to compete with established companies because their software would be juts THAT much buggier.
BUT we know that’s NOT the case with Lucod hardware and engineering, nor is it the case with thousands of software startups who create flawless products from the get go! Why ? Because they invest in EXPERIENCED, COMPETENT talent to tackle the problem. Something Lucid did wonderfully for the HW but seems completely unable to on the SW.

At this point, every time Peter does one of his tech talks about thr wonderous motor or other such HW, it irritates me!! Spend some time on the SW for Gawd’s sake!! We interact with it a LOT!! Every time the phone stops working because Bluetooth disconnects or the key fob stops working or the music apps crash etc etc etc!!
Peter does not write the software. It is literally his job (part of it, anyway) to make these tech talks and do PR, not write the software. It *is* his job to ensure the software gets fixed, so hopefully that happens soon; but I’m heartened by the team shakeup and recent (and coming) OTAs.

As for why they got the hardware right first, two reasons I suspect:
1) hardware is Peter’s wheelhouse; he can contribute more meaningfully there because of his prior experience, so he likely had more exacting standards. Software is something he’d have to rely on others more for.
2) software can be fixed over the air, and if you have to prioritize one over the other to meet a launch date, you prioritize hardware first, because that is impossible to change later.

The software is definitely not up to snuff , so to say. No one really knows how much pressure Lucid was under from big investors to get cars out as soon as possible. It is possible that they had not fully developed the software and felt they had no choice but to start getting cars on the road. When you are a new company and burning through money, the pressure must be incredible.
Just a theory. Regardless, we all hope things continue to move in a positive direction.

Reactions: DJL
Sorry. Still laughing at “thousands of software startups who create flawless products from the get go!”

Back