To Spare or not to Spare

Took multiple long trips on the 21s with no issue. I think it has more to do with the driver than the tire.

I believe that Lucid that should not even offer the 21 inch tires at this point, and instead have the 20 wheels as standard, until they can come up with a better tire.

It' pretty sad when a Lucid owner is afraid to go on a long trip because of this problem.

So many people on this forum have had multiple problems with these 21 inch Pirellis, it is evident that this tire is not fit for reliable use on a long trip whereby you can get stuck in no mans land with a blowout which has been reported too many times.
I think this is a bit of hyperbole. I drove for 16k miles on my 21s with only a blowout at 700 miles. Took a number of trips of 100s of miles. I switched to the 20s to have more peace of mind, and because they were the wheels I had wanted in the first place.

You just need to be careful with the 21s. They are not so unsafe they should be removed from the vehicle option list. Many people have driven many miles on them without issue...

at least 45 psi with a 35 series sidewall.

I believe the reported failures are due to owners being inexperienced with super low profile tires.
They are much more prone to failure when underinflated...even just a little bit.

I believe that Lucid that should not even offer the 21 inch tires at this point, and instead have the 20 wheels as standard, until they can come up with a better tire.

It' pretty sad when a Lucid owner is afraid to go on a long trip because of this problem.

So many people on this forum have had multiple problems with these 21 inch Pirellis, it is evident that this tire is not fit for reliable use on a long trip whereby you can get stuck in no mans land with a blowout which has been reported too many times.
This is a bit of an exaggeration. My 21s have 14k miles. I'm not afraid of any trips.

Remember, forums like this one have a tendency to overrepresent the negatives.

at least 45 psi with a 35 series sidewall.

I believe the reported failures are due to owners being inexperienced with super low profile tires.
They are much more prone to failure when underinflated...even just a little bit.
Perhaps true. I do keep my tires inflated to 45lbs as per the many recommendations on this board.

It will be interesting to see if blowouts are continuing to be reported with the higher tire pressure for those owners with 21 inch wheels.

If this is effective, then this may be the answer and Lucid should change the recommended tire pressure from 42 to 45.

Not everybody who owns a Lucid reads this Board, so it behooves Lucid to let owners know that the 45lb pressure leads to a lower chance of a problem with blowouts or bubbles.

Many have recently suggested inflating to a higher pressure basically eliminates this issue. The problem is Lucid's recommendation of 42 PSI. Try 45 or 46, and there will be far less risk of bubbles and blowouts.

Nothing is full proof when it comes to potholes, of course. But this should fix the issue in most circumstances.

My recent road trip from NJ to FL would not have been possible without a spare. A bubble in the sidewall of a front tire tire was noticable when we were about to depart Savannah, GA. It was important to arrive home that day, but too risky to drive 400 miles at high speed with that bubble. So I put on the EZ spare, needed help from a nearby car's cigarette lighter, because the cord for the power wrench would not allow it to reach the lug nuts, and headed south. Our goal was to reach the Riviera Beach service center to get a new tire installed. But at 50 mph, the max recommended speed for the EZ Spare, we would not get to the service center before it closed. I had been in touch with the service center since I discovered the bubble, arranging for the repair. Spent some time on the phone trying to locate a tire in Savannah, but, no surprise , I couldn't find one. So I decided to push the speed to 60 for an hour. Then to 65. We made to the service center before closing, but damaged the wheel hub during the trip,(one of the bolts was bent) which needed to be replaced, an extra $400 cost. Worth it. But this illustrates the problem with using the vehicle for road trips, any part failure can have severe consequences on the continuation of the trip. We could not afford to spend a couple of days in Savannah waiting for a tire or Mobile service. It was drive with the bubble or EZ Spare. Lucid service was great, they even picked up the food we had ordered and we ate dinner in the waiting area while the car was being repaired. As soon as they finished the repair they turned off the lights and closed up the shop. This was a much better outcome then my last road trip, when the car had to be towed 616 miles and we were in a rental. But I am 0 for 2 on long distance trips.
The main point is EZ Spare saved my trip even though I pushed it well past its recommended specs for both speed and time of use.
With the EZSpare, did you use Lucid's bolts or the ones supplied by EZSpare?

I have had zero issues with my 21" tires across 13k miles now. Funnily enough, the two nails I got were in my 19s.

Took multiple long trips on the 21s with no issue. I think it has more to do with the driver than the tire.
Victim Blaming.

I hit a pothole in the DC area. You can blame the driver for not avoiding a sudden unseen hole in the road if you like, but the tires should be able to handle some of these road hazards. I have summer tires and was driving in an area which has a freeze and thaw cycle, so I was on the lookout for potholes. Missed seeing one. Bubble was visible the next morning. That is why I bought the EZ Spare, to be prepared for tire failure. I'm very happy with that decision. As long as I have the spare I will continue to take long trips. My wife will fly, as we are 0/2 on road trips. 14000 miles before bubble appeared.

Last edited:
Victim Blaming.

I hit a pothole in the DC area. You can blame the driver for not avoiding a sudden unseen hole in the road if you like, but the tires should be able to handle some of these road hazards. I have summer tires and was driving in an area which has a freeze and thaw cycle, so I was on the lookout for potholes. Missed seeing one. Bubble was visible the next morning. That is why I bought the EZ Spare, to be prepared for tire failure. I'm very happy with that decision. As long as I have the spare I will continue to take long trips. My wife will fly, as we are 0/2 on road trips. 14000 miles before bubble appeared.
It's not victim blaming, it's just an observation. Just like this one: driving summer tires in an area with freeze thaw cycles is a recipe for disaster. 😃

Back