Tire pressure monitor in android app

Sula

Cars
AGT
Hello all,

New Lucid owner here, just picked up the car this afternoon, loving the drive.

The tire pressure monitor on my android Lucid app is showing "--" for all four tires, is this normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220907-235820_Lucid.jpg
    Screenshot_20220907-235820_Lucid.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 131
Hello all,

New Lucid owner here, just picked up the car this afternoon, loving the drive.

The tire pressure monitor on my android Lucid app is showing "--" for all four tires, is this normal?
Yes. Tire pressure will only show after you've hit 20 mph, I believe. I think you can see the pressures on the app after you've driven (for a brief period), but they won't show if the car hasn't driven in a while.

Enjoy the car!

Yes. Tire pressure will only show after you've hit 20 mph, I believe. I think you can see the pressures on the app after you've driven (for a brief period), but they won't show if the car hasn't driven in a while.

Enjoy the car!
It's just when the tires are warm; one way to get it there is to drive above 20mph. Sometimes when charging one or both of the front tires will show their tire pressure, heh, but there's a minimum temperature before it displays.

It's just when the tires are warm; one way to get it there is to drive above 20mph. Sometimes when charging one or both of the front tires will show their tire pressure, heh, but there's a minimum temperature before it displays.
It seems illogical to not have tire pressure available while the car is parked. So I have to drive the car 20mph+ check the tire pressure while driving, then if low turn around, go home and add air. As a retired engineer that is poor design. Please update

It seems illogical to not have tire pressure available while the car is parked. So I have to drive the car 20mph+ check the tire pressure while driving, then if low turn around, go home and add air. As a retired engineer that is poor design. Please update
Without motion, the sensors can’t read. All they could do is give you the last known pressure. Which could be incredibly inaccurate if someone came up and slashed all your tires.

I think as long as they indicated this was the last known pressure, not the current pressure, that would be fine. Otherwise it’s poor science.

Enjoy the car!
Sorry to say, but whoever developed the software to NOT show PSI when the car is parked and tires are cool has either never owned a car in their life, or they do not understand that PSI is most useful to owners when the tires are cool. If the PSI is low when cool, it is time to add some air. I've had my Lucid Air Dream Edition for 18 months now, and PSI has never shown a number. Why? Because while I'm driving, I'm not about to take my eyes off the road so I can open the app and check my PSI.

To the Lucid head of software engineering: Please, please fix this!

TPMS sensors have a motion detector in them to preserve battery life. The sensor turns on when the car moves at a good enough speed to trip the sensor and turn the TPMS on. Without this feature, the battery life of the sensor would be very short. I can just see everyone here complaining about the poor engineering because they had to replace their TPMS sensors every year at a cost of a few hundred dollars. That said the app could easily show the last known pressure whcih is likely a hot pressure rather than a cold pressure.

TPMS sensors have a motion detector in them to preserve battery life. The sensor turns on when the car moves at a good enough speed to trip the sensor and turn the TPMS on. Without this feature, the battery life of the sensor would be very short. I can just see everyone here complaining about the poor engineering because they had to replace their TPMS sensors every year at a cost of a few hundred dollars. That said the app could easily show the last known pressure whcih is likely a hot pressure rather than a cold pressure.
@Adnillien is spot on. The batteries in TPMS are not replaceable. By having the sensors only transmit when moving, the sensors last 5-10 years. Without the motion detection, you should be replacing TPMS sensors and activating them at least at each tire change.

Remember, the TPMS is just a warning device mandated by the government "for a severe under inflation event.". They came out of the Firestone / Ford Explorer debacle when a dozen people died from seriously under inflated Firestone tires, causing the thread to separate entirlfrom the carcass. They were designed to warn of serious dangerous under inflation. THEY WERE NEVER DESIGNED TO BE DEAD ACCURATE TIRE PRESSURE GUAGES.

I have never found an internal TPMS on any car to be accurate. On my AT, they read 3psi low compared to my Longacre racing guages. Audi uses a external tpms system for its intended purpose: warning only.

The way to get accurate tire pressure has not changed in 50 years. Get an accurate guage and check them in the morning when the tire is cold.

For anyone with 21" Pirellis, ensuring at least 42 psi is mandatory. With a real guage.

Wow, your first post for a new car, and it's a complaint.

I wonder how many cars show accurate pressure while parked?

My Porsche Panamera enabled you to put the tire pressure on the main screen under the speedometer reading, so you can see the tire pressure at all times(when moving) without having to take your eyes off the road to access it on the lower screen on the Lucid. It would be helpful if Lucid would allow a driver to have this reading to be on the upper screen if they so desire.

I wonder how many cars show accurate pressure while parked?
A rhetorical question. You sly devil. Depends on your definition of "while parked." The answer is YES, NO and depends on WHEN it was parked, how was it driven before parking, how long was ot parked, and where was it parked. I think the snapshot readings may be accurate but MAY not be useful.

There are so many variables with TP. When you park the car, I am sure the pressure reading is sort of, kind of, closely "accurate" within a few PSI for the pressure at that very MOMENT in time. But no tire pressure is set by its hot pressure. Also, that instant reading will start to uncontrollably change: it may cool or may heat up if the sun is beating on the tire. I have seen 10 psi difference from sun on a black tires on one side of a car. And what if you just went 100 miles in AZ or around the block in ND? How long has the car sat since using?

Hence the time honored advice: measure pressure when the car has been undriven, cool, for several hours, in a shady place. The goal is consistency in measurement conditions.

My problem with internal TPMS is that people can read too much into the data. Its a GREAT AND POWERFUL warning device for a dangerous low pressure event: a leak or when you screw up and forget to fill up the tires. It is not a tire pressure gauge

My problem with internal TPMS is that people can read too much into the data. Its a GREAT AND POWERFUL warning device for a dangerous low pressure event: a leak or when you screw up and forget to fill up the tires. It is not a tire pressure gauge
Bingo. Which is why you get a warning light when the pressure is dangerously low, but not a constant reading on your dash when the pressure is fine. It’s giving you the data you need to drive the car safely. Nothing more.

A lot of folks here seem to want their instrument clusters littered with reading material. Our eyes should be on the road. Electric car drivers need remarkably little information compared to ICE vehicles in order to be safe and informed. No oil pressure. RPM. Just battery percentage and speed, essentially.

It’s not a 747.

Bingo. Which is why you get a warning light when the pressure is dangerously low, but not a constant reading on your dash when the pressure is fine. It’s giving you the data you need to drive the car safely. Nothing more.

A lot of folks here seem to want their instrument clusters littered with reading material. Our eyes should be on the road. Electric car drivers need remarkably little information compared to ICE vehicles in order to be safe and informed. No oil pressure. RPM. Just battery percentage and speed, essentially.

It’s not a 747.
You are preaching to the Saved here!!

I cringe when I see comments: it would be helpful if I had a reading on my dash that told me when my cappuccino is cold. OR WORSE: the cappuccino temperature reading on my dash is always 2 degrees low, can service come out and calibrate it for me?

That plethora of raw data is on the panels of a 777 because the crew is trained to interpret all the nuances of that data. We are not. My God, a lot of folks here have a full blown heart attack watching the KWH figures fluctuate on the screen at an EA charger.

Every time we gave customers too much raw data on the systems at PS Audio, we were bombarded with nuisance calls: my harmonic distortion is higher than yesterday, what's wrong? The data got in the way of enjoying the music.

But, I would like a big ass lightening bolt on the dash that grew bigger as I drain the kw from the battery doing 120. And climbing....

Back