RESOLVED Tire buzz after replacing punctured/bubbled tires

tmwong

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I had to replace three (!!!) 21” tires after hitting a pothole (or crater) in Los Angeles; and now I hear a hum/buzz at speed in the front tires that wasn’t there before.

An alignment check showed toe and camber at nominal. Anyone have any other theories? Otherwise it’s a trip back the the Lucid Service Center.

- T

I had to replace three (!!!) 21” tires after hitting a pothole (or crater) in Los Angeles; and now I hear a hum/buzz at speed in the front tires that wasn’t there before.

An alignment check showed toe and camber at nominal. Anyone have any other theories? Otherwise it’s a trip back the the Lucid Service Center.

- T
That buzz is on every road?

- T
Maybe a bent rim?
It could be a cause of abnormal sounds, but also should have some vibration or weird handling characteristics.
but I'm assuming the service center would have good enough equipment to check all axis while mounting and balancing.

maybe check to see if the tires were directional and we're not mistakenly put on backwards as that can also cause weird sounds.

- T
Maybe something is going on with the interior tire noise insulating foam?

Maybe something is going on with the interior tire noise insulating foam?
I now wonder if the tires are in the reverse direction; I eyeballed the tires post-install but I was "distracted" after having to replace three tires for one pothole so I might have missed something.

Is the foam part of the tire or is added by the installer?

- T

I now wonder if the tires are in the reverse direction; I eyeballed the tires post-install but I was "distracted" after having to replace three tires for one pothole so I might have missed something.

Is the foam part of the tire or is added by the installer?

- T
I do not believe that the tires are unidirectional, but you should verify, I didn’t see a direction indicator on my 21s. Also make sure the right size is on the front and rear:

245/35 R21 factory front tire

265/35 R21 factory rear tire

The foam sound insulation is integrated in the tire by the manufacturer. Also, check that the front airfoils in front of the tires are installed and not loose/flapping

Here’s a picture of a displaced airfoil I too from another post for your reference. Make sure yours aren’t loose

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 109
Maybe a bent rim?
It could be a cause of abnormal sounds, but also should have some vibration or weird handling characteristics.
but I'm assuming the service center would have good enough equipment to check all axis while mounting and balancing.

maybe check to see if the tires were directional and we're not mistakenly put on backwards as that can also cause weird sounds.
Update: finally got into the service center and went on a freeway drive with a service tech. Within five seconds of driving he said “damaged wheel bearings”. So I’m getting new front bearings in a couple of weeks…

21” wheels look great but are dicey on the moon-like roads of CA.

- T

Update: finally got into the service center and went on a freeway drive with a service tech. Within five seconds of driving he said “damaged wheel bearings”. So I’m getting new front bearings in a couple of weeks…

21” wheels look great but are dicey on the moon-like roads of CA.

- T
IMHO, if the "crater" impact was severe enough to damage wheel bearings, doubt that 20" or even 19 would not have suffered same fate. Hope the spindles are not damaged
/scored.

Update: Lucid Service in Millbrae replaced the front left and right wheel bearings and everything is back to normal with no “buzz”. As bonus, work was covered under warranty!

In related news, a feature request: LIDAR pothole scanner…

- T

Here’s a picture of a displaced airfoil I too from another post for your reference. Make sure yours aren’t loose

Oh, that’s what that’s called! During my 2200 mile roadtrip, a gigantic tumbleweed blew across my path and got trapped under the left front wheel. It managed to tear that thing off its fasteners, leaving it hanging from the bottom of the car. I refastened it temporarily with black electrical tape. I’m curious now to see if that low humming sound coming from the left front fender area at freeway speeds, has gone away.

Update: Lucid Service in Millbrae replaced the front left and right wheel bearings and everything is back to normal with no “buzz”. As bonus, work was covered under warranty!

In related news, a feature request: LIDAR pothole scanner…

- T
This is the sort of thing that makes me laugh whenever I hear self-driving enthusiasts talk about cars with no steering wheels in the "near" future. Until the car doesn't happily drive straight into a pothole or over a speed bump at full speed, we aren't close to self-driving.

This is the sort of thing that makes me laugh whenever I hear self-driving enthusiasts talk about cars with no steering wheels in the "near" future. Until the car doesn't happily drive straight into a pothole or over a speed bump at full speed, we aren't close to self-driving.
My ten minutes of driving with the Tesla FSD beta enabled included it hugging the curb like a drunk and aiming straight at the corner cuts while attempting to turn left. So, no, we aren't close by a long shot.

- T

Back