RESOLVED Tinting door glass warranty? Yes!

xwave

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring, Model 3, Y
I picked up AT 3/31/2023, and dropped it off service center on 4/12/2023 with the door glass not working & other issues.
4/13 SA called me liquid from tinting bunt the motor and not going to be under warranty repair. I told him the motor is working because I can hear the motor spinning sound and it seems like the cable mechanism is broken. SA told me they will check it more.
4/17 SA send me a photo of the damaged window regulator. It shows the cable snapped like I told SA. He texted me below
'Per my manager's advice, it appears that the tampering of the windows may have invalidated the warranty for the regulator. However, we would be more than happy to have our manager review your case again to ensure that all possible options have been explored.'
After that, they send me a $400 repair bill.
FYI for Anyone who tinted their Lucid, since they said tinting is
MicrosoftTeams-image (50).jpg
vehicle 'tampering'

Either the motor failed or it was harmed as described which would mean by the tinting company (I am assuming that after you picked it up initially you had the windows tinted). Either way...YOU should not have to pay. How about getting the two companies together on a phone call?

I picked up AT 3/31/2023, and dropped it off service center on 4/12/2023 with the door glass not working & other issues.
4/13 SA called me liquid from tinting bunt the motor and not going to be under warranty repair. I told him the motor is working because I can hear the motor spinning sound and it seems like the cable mechanism is broken. SA told me they will check it more.
4/17 SA send me a photo of the damaged window regulator. It shows the cable snapped like I told SA. He texted me below
'Per my manager's advice, it appears that the tampering of the windows may have invalidated the warranty for the regulator. However, we would be more than happy to have our manager review your case again to ensure that all possible options have been explored.'
After that, they send me a $400 repair bill.
FYI for Anyone who tinted their Lucid, since they said tinting is View attachment 11586vehicle 'tampering'
Dang. So your window was working before you got it tinted, then after you received it back it was not working?

Dang. So your window was working before you got it tinted, then after you received it back it was not working?
I haven't checked before the tint since it is the one of the rear door glass, the window was working fine a day after tinting. Later it doesn't roll down fully and a couple of days later it stopped working completely.

Either the motor failed or it was harmed as described which would mean by the tinting company (I am assuming that after you picked it up initially you had the windows tinted). Either way...YOU should not have to pay. How about getting the two companies together on a phone call?
Those cable damages are rarely caused by tinting. those are typical window regulator failures. (I am a trained auto tech and own a Tesla Certified Collision Center)

I was on the fence about tinting even before this post. I just cancelled the tinting portion of my PPF/Ceramic reservation. This coupled with the fact I was profiled by the police this past Friday, yeah, I'm ditching the tint on my car.

I was on the fence about tinting even before this post. I just cancelled the tinting portion of my PPF/Ceramic reservation. This coupled with the fact I was profiled by the police this past Friday, yeah, I'm ditching the tint on my car.
Good grief. Sorry you had to go through that. Local cops or staties?

That's absolutely NOT caused by window tinting. Any professional shop doesn't go anywhere near that.

After conversing with several colleges, my own staff and several multi-decade tinters - none of them agree this is caused by anything a tinter did.

Using the case of "water damage" isn't at all legit. I can take a 32oz spray bottle, use less than half of the soapy water in there to do the entire window install. The amount of water that is is so small, it's hilarious.

Let's say water got into the motor. Hypothetically.

The motor will not go hay wire and decide that it's going to over work itself to the point that the motor breaks a steel braided cable. That motor, if anything , will burn itself out and most likely pop a fuse before completely dying. Because it would be asking for more electrical demand to work harder. In turn that fuse will do its job and blow, protecting electrical devices.

As far as voiding your warranty with window tint, I'd like to see the verbiage used to explain that away. This is literally a piss poor excuse from that service center to not cover their own cheap parts.

I've had to stand up and fight against various dealers for similar claims, none of them hold when I have come to bat to explain the process.

That's a defective cable, end of story and Lucid used your window tint as an excuse to try and void your warranty - of which you should absolutely fight tooth and nail for.

That's absolutely NOT caused by window tinting. Any professional shop doesn't go anywhere near that.

After conversing with several colleges, my own staff and several multi-decade tinters - none of them agree this is caused by anything a tinter did.

Using the case of "water damage" isn't at all legit. I can take a 32oz spray bottle, use less than half of the soapy water in there to do the entire window install. The amount of water that is is so small, it's hilarious.

The motor will not go hay wire and decide that it's going to over work itself to the point that the motor breaks a steel braided cable. That motor, if anything , will burn itself out and most likely pop a fuse before completely dying. Because it would be asking for more electrical demand to work harder. In turn that fuse will do its job and blow, protecting electrical devices.

As far as voiding your warranty with window tint, I'd like to see the verbiage used to explain that away. This is literally a piss poor excuse from that service center to not cover their own cheap parts.

I've had to stand up and fight against various dealers for similar claims, none of them hold when I have come to bat to explain the process.

That's a defective cable, end of story and Lucid used your window tint as an excuse to try and void your warranty - of which you should absolutely fight tooth and nail for.
@TotalDetailingPA Gabe is my dude folks! He's THAT DUDE!! If you're anywhere near Harrisburg, Central PA, Philly, South Jersey, or Delaware and are thinking about PPF or Ceramic, YOU NEED TO CALL HIM!!

I completely agree with you.
I sent a message to Lucid HQ and one of the case handlers will contact the service center. Let us see how it goes.
Thank you.

@xwave Do you know if the the tinting company removed the trims when installing tint to your side windows? Could that be the reason voiding warranty at the window regulator?

@xwave Do you know if the the tinting company removed the trims when installing tint to your side windows? Could that be the reason voiding warranty at the window regulator?
This should not matter. My tint didn’t void my warranty; in fact, where Lucid broke my rear windshield, they paid to retint it.

My wife needs the tint because she’s photophobic; there’s no way tint voids your warranty. I’d love to see the language in the contract or warranty that says that.

Let me ask the tint shop tomorrow. However, removing door trim panel is not related to damage a window regulator.

I got my windows tinted last week, along with every car I've ever owned. By their logic if a window was opened when it rained it would cause the regulator cable to snap. In any case Lucid needs to fully cover that defective window regulator. As if they forgot the Magnuson-Moss act, smh...

Update,
I finally picked up my car and the window regulator has been repaired under warranty.
There was a different SA and she apologized for misleading communication. She told me it should be under warranty if they cannot prove modification causes malfunction.
Anyway, it is a happy ending.:)

Update,
I finally picked up my car and the window regulator has been repaired under warranty.
There was a different SA and she apologized for misleading communication. She told me it should be under warranty if they cannot prove modification causes malfunction.
Anyway, it is a happy ending.:)
Great news!!

Back