Tidal new subscription knocks Dolby Atmos into new category?

Volund

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I have a Tidal Hifi subscription, but now noticed I can't play Dolby Atmos music.. Why?
It seems that there's a new category called Tidal Hifi Plus which now allows that, and it's $20 a month.

Kind of disappointing as I was hoping the trial would allow me to really feel things out, but I don't think Tidal Hifi Plus is covered in the 3 month trial.
What's worse is that Dolby Atmos songs won't even PLAY if I don't have the subscription.

This is a new thing right? Because I just noticed it.

It's been that way since I learned about Tidal, which was sometime over a year ago, so not new. Sorry.

It's been that way since I learned about Tidal, which was sometime over a year ago, so not new. Sorry.
I remember there being a Tidal Plus and Tidal Masters where royalties go to the artists. But yeah, I guess I'm mistaken I never noticed Tidal Plus

Yeah, it’s been there. Unfortunate. Tidal isn’t cheap but really does sound great.

Hmmm interesting. I havent used Tidal in a few years but it used to be $20 for HiFi which includes MQA. Looks like they now split it to $10 HiFi and $20 HiFi Plus.

I signed up a month ago. $25.99 per month. I can’t remember what that gets me, but I haven’t found a fancy-shmansy, supah-dupah Dolby Atmos track yet.

if you have a playlist with audio formats/qualities, will lucid default play the highest quality available as you go through the playlist?

It did on Tidal.

Is Tidal Plus the best for Lucid? I'm checking other streaming services with Dolby Atmos like Amazon

Is Tidal Plus the best for Lucid? I'm checking other streaming services with Dolby Atmos like Amazon
Tidal is the only one with Atmos tracks that is natively integrated for now

As someone who can appreciate the highs, low, deep bass, and overall clarity of an Atmos track, Tidal HiFi Plus is totally worth it - especially in the Lucid.

The highs in particular are so crystal clear, its fantastic! If audio could be a laser cut diamond, Lucid is it. Combining that with the sound isolation of the Air really puts you in a different world.

My next closest favorite is the Lincoln Revel Audio, but this is even better.

"Never Enough" - Loren Allred is a great example of the highs.

As someone who can appreciate the highs, low, deep bass, and overall clarity of an Atmos track, Tidal HiFi Plus is totally worth it - especially in the Lucid.

The highs in particular are so crystal clear, its fantastic! If audio could be a laser cut diamond, Lucid is it. Combining that with the sound isolation of the Air really puts you in a different world.

My next closest favorite is the Lincoln Revel Audio, but this is even better.

"Never Enough" - Loren Allred is a great example of the highs.
Probably just my ears, but my ranking is Lincoln, Mercedes then Lucid. I will admit that when I tried Tidal that I had a hard time finding Dolby tracks or even knowing if Dolby was working.

For me, Atmos tracks refused to play at all, I thought it would mix it into stereo or 5.1 or something, and maybe just ignore the Dolby height speakers.

Nope, just refuses to play

For me, Atmos tracks refused to play at all, I thought it would mix it into stereo or 5.1 or something, and maybe just ignore the Dolby height speakers.

Nope, just refuses to play
Apple Music defaults to whatever quality the current hardware can play. Which is nice. When I put on my AirPods Max, they play spatial audio. If I plug in my old Sennheiser headphones to my Mac, it’ll play lossless stereo. If I use older third party Bluetooth headphones, I’ll get the AAC stereo. Seamless.

Hoping that’s how it will work once CarPlay is released for the Lucid. I have to think maybe part of the long time in development was devoted to making sure CarPlay recognized the Surreal Sound Pro system as Atmos capable.

Apple Music defaults to whatever quality the current hardware can play. Which is nice. When I put on my AirPods Max, they play spatial audio. If I plug in my old Sennheiser headphones to my Mac, it’ll play lossless stereo. If I use older third party Bluetooth headphones, I’ll get the AAC stereo. Seamless.

Hoping that’s how it will work once CarPlay is released for the Lucid. I have to think maybe part of the long time in development was devoted to making sure CarPlay recognized the Surreal Sound Pro system as Atmos capable.
Of course, not all tracks on Apple Music are available in Spatial Audio. In that case, you’ll just get stereo. But there is a setting to “fake” the surround sound in that case on capable hardware, and it actually works better than I expected.

I just received my Touring on Sunday and the 3 months free Tidal is for the HIFI which carries the Atmos tracks. You have to search with keyword dolby to find the ones with that will play. Sounds extremely good and I was getting good base for the type of music I was like (Peter White-Jazz).

FWIW, I'm starting to see more and more Atmos tracks on Amazon Music for anyone who also has that service. So many streaming options!

Back