TIDAL Magic with Dolby Atmos Surreal Sound

I giggle at these "Tidal is too expensive" posts. You drive a Lucid and an EQS SUV yet $20 a month for Tidal, the best streaming platform to enjoy audio in your Lucid, is too expensive? 😂😂

I'm not being mean I swear. It just makes me chuckle.
How do you think I saved enough money to buy a Lucid? ;)

But jokes aside, I bought the $1 3-month subscription through Best Buy that, sadly, no longer exists as of September. Of course, I bought it about nine months ago, and I still have Tidal, so here's hoping they never figure it out lol

But yeah, Best Buy used to have a $1 for 3 months or $20 for a year deal, for HiFi Plus.

How do you think I saved enough money to buy a Lucid? ;)

But jokes aside, I bought the $1 3-month subscription through Best Buy that, sadly, no longer exists as of September. Of course, I bought it about nine months ago, and I still have Tidal, so here's hoping they never figure it out lol

But yeah, Best Buy used to have a $1 for 3 months or $20 for a year deal, for HiFi Plus.
I remember it well. I was all over that thread.

Wow! Just experienced Tidal for the first time in the Lucid. Much better than expected. I'm not an audiophile, but I was thoroughly impressed.

I used to think the Burmeister system in our EQS SUV was the best sound system I've experienced in a vehicle, but Lucid's SSPro is noticeably better. Our EQS has a Tidal as well, so I played the exact same tracks in both for a comparison.

Don't know if i can justify the $20/month for Tidal (yes I'm cheap). I really wish Apple would allow Atmos through CarPlay. We already bought into the Apple eco system so that would be our preferred option. I'll try Tidal for the month and see I have can let it go or not.
It's $11.99 with the Military discount.

Wow! Just experienced Tidal for the first time in the Lucid. Much better than expected. I'm not an audiophile, but I was thoroughly impressed.

I used to think the Burmeister system in our EQS SUV was the best sound system I've experienced in a vehicle, but Lucid's SSPro is noticeably better. Our EQS has a Tidal as well, so I played the exact same tracks in both for a comparison.

Don't know if i can justify the $20/month for Tidal (yes I'm cheap). I really wish Apple would allow Atmos through CarPlay. We already bought into the Apple eco system so that would be our preferred option. I'll try Tidal for the month and see I have can let it go or not.
This was a comparison I was looking for as I understand the EQS SUV can also do Dolby Atmos, correct?

I've been unable to find any of these songs, 'Atmos mix of INXS Mediate or REM’s Murmur or Prince’s When Doves Cry'. Do you by chance have direct links?
Sorry for delayed reply, yeah see @stratus post. Usually for Atmos mixes it may not even say Atmos and you just have to look for the Dolby icon when you search for album or song. And then you have to add those to a playlist on your phone/laptop to actually get them to show up in the car. Pain in the ass, but worth it.

Shhh… 🤫Same here, but I only try Tidal once a week to see if I still have it.

This was a comparison I was looking for as I understand the EQS SUV can also do Dolby Atmos, correct?

So I did a little more digging on my EQS. It's not straight forward if my car has Atmos. I can't figure out how to turn it on in the menu, and it doesn't appear next to songs that I have confirmed should be Atmos quality. It may be that only certain EQS SUV have Atmos even though mine does have the Burmeister system. Looking at specs online Mercedes says 2023 EQS SUV has Dolby Atmos. Pretty frustrating from Mercedes. Honestly the Tidal and Apple music interface is a disaster. The Lucid interface is so much better.

I will say the EQS has more bass compared to the Lucid (seems like a common complaint) but the Lucid's sound is much more clear and authentic.

Shhh… 🤫Same here, but I only try Tidal once a week to see if I still have it.
Ha! I had the best buy deal too but they took mine away. I’m on the brink of resubscribing at full price, it was just soooo good and I miss it!

So I did a little more digging on my EQS. It's not straight forward if my car has Atmos. I can't figure out how to turn it on in the menu, and it doesn't appear next to songs that I have confirmed should be Atmos quality. It may be that only certain EQS SUV have Atmos even though mine does have the Burmeister system. Looking at specs online Mercedes says 2023 EQS SUV has Dolby Atmos. Pretty frustrating from Mercedes. Honestly the Tidal and Apple music interface is a disaster. The Lucid interface is so much better.

I will say the EQS has more bass compared to the Lucid (seems like a common complaint) but the Lucid's sound is much more clear and authentic.

So I found out my car does have Dolby Atmos speakers, but I don't have the software update that enables Atmos. Mercedes hasn't said when the update will be OTA (if ever) so I would need to bring it in to the dealer to get the update.

:mad:

Ok this is a MUST listen: Michael Andrews/Gary Jules cover of Tears for Fears “Mad World” from the Donnie Darko soundtrack in Dolby Atmos. Oh. My. God.
The use of the center channel for the verse is so intimate and then full surround vocals for the chorus is absolute magic. https://tidal.com/track/111403020

Another must listen. Daft Punk released their 2013 album "Random Access Memories" as a "Drumless Version" and to my delight there is an Atmos version. It is the among the best recordings I have heard in my Lucid.
Where is the Atmos version? I can't seem to find it...

Where is the Atmos version? I can't seem to find it...
The one he linked is atmos
Screenshot_20231122_150608_TIDAL.jpg

Is it still true that Tidal offers the best quality for music streaming?
I missed out on the discount last year and am about to subscribe for a family plan.
Anybody using Apple service?

I missed out on the discount last year and am about to subscribe for a family plan.

Yes, Tidal has the best. There is no built in Apple Music app , but Apple Music does does sound good via CarPlay.

Yeah having done A/B comparisons between Tidal and Apple Music in CarPlay of identical tracks Tidal sounds fuller and more transparent, just “better” overall than Apple Lossless over CarPlay, though Apple Music still sounds very good, much better than Spotify.

Two questions to the members:

1. Does anyone know if Tidal is using the Dolby Digital+ or TrueHD codec for their Atmos streaming? (I'd wager the Digital+ since that's geared for streaming.) I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer.

2. Has anyone bought or downloaded Atmos TrueHD music recordings? There are a few music publishers (mostly classical) that sell them in uncompressed MKV format alongside their WAV/FLAC/MP4 files, and I wanted to know if those would play from a thumb drive. You know, for academic reasons...

Two questions to the members:

1. Does anyone know if Tidal is using the Dolby Digital+ or TrueHD codec for their Atmos streaming? (I'd wager the Digital+ since that's geared for streaming.) I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer.

2. Has anyone bought or downloaded Atmos TrueHD music recordings? There are a few music publishers (mostly classical) that sell them in uncompressed MKV format alongside their WAV/FLAC/MP4 files, and I wanted to know if those would play from a thumb drive. You know, for academic reasons...
Have you checked the Tidal App and/or website for the answer to question #1?

Also, paging @borski to help with question #2.

Back