TIDAL Magic with Dolby Atmos Surreal Sound

PyynkBOB

Cars
Air GT, Zenith Red, 19"
Please forgive this missive if it's old news for some, but for those like me who questioned whether their Grand Touring truly had the touted Dolby Atmos Surreal Sound system, know that I had the Lucid service center put my Grand Touring sound system to the test, and they validated that I do indeed have the sound system I'm meant to have, and that the reason it hasn't seemed that way is because I wasn't using TIDAL as music service. After their research and explanation, I switched to TIDAL, and WOW, now I have beautiful sound! Give it a try.

The old saw among audiophiles: a very good sound system, properly tweaked, reveals every flaw in the source.

The premium audio system Lucid offers is very good, and properly tweaked. I don't know why they have an equalizer...marketing tool for the deaf? Don't touch it.

Sometimes ordinary recordings / sources are more enjoyable on a ordinary audio system, or one with a spike in the mid-bass, or an equalizer: and if you like that genre of music: outboard amplifiers for the boom box bass woofer(s).

Now that you have the premium Tidal service, hunt for the Dolby Atmos tracks ( for some reason, this is difficult ).
Now try this: go into the garage late at night. Adjust your chair. Adjust your climate. Relax. Turn your headlights off (you wish). Play an Atmos track. (long threads here about tracks to seek out...several audio experts on the site)

see ?

I've already discovered and have been enjoying the wonders of the Dolby Atmos tracks. I've even favorited many of the Dolby Atmos playlists, so that they're easily accessible when I'm in the car. It's amazing the difference they make.

The foreman at the Orange County, California Lucid service center ended up putting together a whole PowerPoint presentation for the staff, because this topic apparently comes up so frequently. I suspect they're going to start specifically recommending to new buyers that they should use TIDAL. It would have been lovely to have had this information the day I picked up my car more than a year ago, but that's part of the start-up experience - learning as we go.

I've already discovered and have been enjoying the wonders of the Dolby Atmos tracks. I've even favorited many of the Dolby Atmos playlists, so that they're easily accessible when I'm in the car. It's amazing the difference they make.

The foreman at the Orange County, California Lucid service center ended up putting together a whole PowerPoint presentation for the staff, because this topic apparently comes up so frequently. I suspect they're going to start specifically recommending to new buyers that they should use TIDAL. It would have been lovely to have had this information the day I picked up my car more than a year ago, but that's part of the start-up experience - learning as we go.
I’m happy to hear a service center is doing education on this topic. There’s several factors that inadvertently sabotage what is in fact a fantastic audio system and turn off customers unwittingly, so it’s important if the customer is paying for the system they be shown how to get the most out of it, as it’s not straightforward. I was lucky as my car didn’t have the bass port defect, and I have a background in pro audio so I knew what to look for and how to test the system, but most drivers will just put on Spotify over Bluetooth and say “that doesn’t sound very impressive” and then tell everyone it’s not that great. Once you have Tidal HiFI Plus and put on something like the Atmos mix of INXS Mediate or REM’s Murmur or Prince’s When Doves Cry it’s like taking your fingers out of your ears and hearing what a recording studio sounds like. I do exactly what @Cosmo Cruz does, go out to the car sometimes and just use it as my own personal listening room.

I’m happy to hear a service center is doing education on this topic. There’s several factors that inadvertently sabotage what is in fact a fantastic audio system and turn off customers unwittingly, so it’s important if the customer is paying for the system they be shown how to get the most out of it, as it’s not straightforward. I was lucky as my car didn’t have the bass port defect, and I have a background in pro audio so I knew what to look for and how to test the system, but most drivers will just put on Spotify over Bluetooth and say “that doesn’t sound very impressive” and then tell everyone it’s not that great. Once you have Tidal HiFI Plus and put on something like the Atmos mix of INXS Mediate or REM’s Murmur or Prince’s When Doves Cry it’s like taking your fingers out of your ears and hearing what a recording studio sounds like. I do exactly what @Cosmo Cruz does, go out to the car sometimes and just use it as my own personal listening room.
These are great song recommendations, and I want to try them. However, while I've had great success in finding full Dolby Atmos playlists, I'm struggling to find these specific tracks in Dolby Atmos. How do I know which is which?

These are great song recommendations, and I want to try them. However, while I've had great success in finding full Dolby Atmos playlists, I'm struggling to find these specific tracks in Dolby Atmos. How do I know which is which?
Atmos songs have the Dolby logo (back to back solid D in a square) next to them.

Sometimes searching for Dolby Atmos or (Atmos) can help, but you’ll have better luck using the phone app or laptop app and then adding the tracks to a playlist which will then show up in the car. But yeah if it doesn't have the Dolby logo next to them then it's not Atmos. Tidal really dropped the ball in terms of searchability and algorithms, Spotify and AppleMusic both are superior in terms of usability, but Tidal is superior in terms of sound quality so I just live with the inferior search options and algorithm generated mixes. I have two friends who are pro audio engineers who mix in Atmos and both have confirmed that Tidal HiFi Plus Atmos for some reason represents their mixes better than Apple Music's highest resolution of Atmos and obviously Spotify which doesn't do Atmos at all and is mediocre resolution. Now that I've found lots of Atmos albums though I just add those in the phone app and then they come up in the car under albums so it's rare that I struggle to find what I'd like to hear, just took some time finding it all the first time and adding it, like it took HOURS.

Excellent thread!!! SSPRO is the best sound system I've ever heard in a car hands down! When I have my staff in the car with me, they usually request I play tracks in Atmos. Finally, I have to add, the best seat in the car for listening to music is the rear center seat.

Yes yes yes. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve taken the long way home just to relax, unwind, and listen to some Atmos tracks. Yes it is outstanding. I have major hearing sensitivity loss at lower frequencies so the EQ helps me get that back.

Wow! Just experienced Tidal for the first time in the Lucid. Much better than expected. I'm not an audiophile, but I was thoroughly impressed.

I used to think the Burmeister system in our EQS SUV was the best sound system I've experienced in a vehicle, but Lucid's SSPro is noticeably better. Our EQS has a Tidal as well, so I played the exact same tracks in both for a comparison.

Don't know if i can justify the $20/month for Tidal (yes I'm cheap). I really wish Apple would allow Atmos through CarPlay. We already bought into the Apple eco system so that would be our preferred option. I'll try Tidal for the month and see I have can let it go or not.

Sometimes searching for Dolby Atmos or (Atmos) can help, but you’ll have better luck using the phone app or laptop app and then adding the tracks to a playlist which will then show up in the car. But yeah if it doesn't have the Dolby logo next to them then it's not Atmos. Tidal really dropped the ball in terms of searchability and algorithms, Spotify and AppleMusic both are superior in terms of usability, but Tidal is superior in terms of sound quality so I just live with the inferior search options and algorithm generated mixes. I have two friends who are pro audio engineers who mix in Atmos and both have confirmed that Tidal HiFi Plus Atmos for some reason represents their mixes better than Apple Music's highest resolution of Atmos and obviously Spotify which doesn't do Atmos at all and is mediocre resolution. Now that I've found lots of Atmos albums though I just add those in the phone app and then they come up in the car under albums so it's rare that I struggle to find what I'd like to hear, just took some time finding it all the first time and adding it, like it took HOURS.
I contacted TIDAL support about the search challenges, namely the lack of a search filter to allow for specifically searching Dolby Atmos tracks, and they confirmed they have work to do.

I've been unable to find any of these songs, 'Atmos mix of INXS Mediate or REM’s Murmur or Prince’s When Doves Cry'. Do you by chance have direct links?

Wow! Just experienced Tidal for the first time in the Lucid. Much better than expected. I'm not an audiophile, but I was thoroughly impressed.

I used to think the Burmeister system in our EQS SUV was the best sound system I've experienced in a vehicle, but Lucid's SSPro is noticeably better. Our EQS has a Tidal as well, so I played the exact same tracks in both for a comparison.

Don't know if i can justify the $20/month for Tidal (yes I'm cheap). I really wish Apple would allow Atmos through CarPlay. We already bought into the Apple eco system so that would be our preferred option. I'll try Tidal for the month and see I have can let it go or not.
I giggle at these "Tidal is too expensive" posts. You drive a Lucid and an EQS SUV yet $20 a month for Tidal, the best streaming platform to enjoy audio in your Lucid, is too expensive? 😂😂

I'm not being mean I swear. It just makes me chuckle.

I giggle at these "Tidal is too expensive" posts. You drive a Lucid and an EQS SUV yet $20 a month for Tidal, the best streaming platform to enjoy audio in your Lucid, is too expensive? 😂😂

Don't hate on the cheapies!

Keep listening to Atmos ; you will not want to be without it. I’m pretty obsessed with it personally.😊😊

😜I know. I just feel like all of the subscriptions today are death by a million cuts.

I just found out that Tidal plays through CarPlay in our Ioniq 5. So now we can use it in all three vehicles. Built in app for the Lucid and EQS, and through CarPlay for the Ioniq. That makes it a lot more appealing.

I just found out that Tidal plays through CarPlay in our Ioniq 5. So now we can use it in all three vehicles. Built in app for the Lucid and EQS, and through CarPlay for the Ioniq. That makes it a lot more appealing.
It will, but it won't do Atmos encoding

It will, but it won't do Atmos encoding

Correct. But after spending some time setting up play lists and liking the Tidal interface more than Apple Music, it at least allows me to use it else where.

Even the Sonos system in our house.

Back